[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 869 KB, 753x706, 1438650084596.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3858123 No.3858123 [Reply] [Original]

How long did it take you to feel that you were actually making progress with drawing?

>> No.3858124

>>3858123
When normies praise your work despite mc etcher tier perspective

>> No.3858152

dont we make progress with every (even small) achievements?
when I first bought my tablet years ago and tried digital
when I first learned my shit is shit
when I first evolved my shit into better shit, but still shit

we make progress with every drawing we do that is done with effort.

>> No.3858153

>>3858123
Never. I don't make progress despite drawing every day.

>> No.3858156

>>3858153
Faggot

>> No.3858158

>>3858156
That's not very nice

>> No.3858160

>>3858152
Why doesn’t it feel like it then? In video games we can feel the progress even on hard bosses and such, but with drawing, it’s like you’re up against a wall that never seems to break. It feels like you’re just in the same place. After all, if you couldn’t feel the progress the first time, why would you the second time?

>> No.3858164

>>3858158
What else could productively be said?

>> No.3858165

>>3858160
Vidya is designed to be addictive bitch boi.

>> No.3858175

>>3858165
How is running into the same blockade of a boss addicting? It would obviously be very frustrating when you keep failing, but at least sometimes you manage to do more than you did last time. And if so, why can’t you design drawing to be addictive? At that point, why can’t you feel progress still?

>> No.3858177

>>3858175
Because you have to actually learn while drawing, it’s legitimately hard. Unlinke vidya. This might be your first time learning a skill though, if your just out of high school, it doesn’t get easier.

>> No.3858183

>>3858177
You have to learn during video games too and that’s legitimately difficult as well. Why the separation like the two aren’t the same? It can take tens of hours to get past a difficult part.

>> No.3858189

>>3858183
You’re fucked.

>> No.3858194

>>3858189
Yeah, that’s my thinking when I’m stuck on difficult parts of a game too, but somehow I persevere and manage to get through anyways. It’s almost like luck, but it obviously takes skill, thinking and planning. All the same thing drawing does, only that you can feel it more. With drawing, what use is persevering if you couldn’t solve the problem? You’ll just be hitting a wall in your logic everytime you try again. Unless, it’s like a boss with the smallest time windows that you have to execute in mutilple succession to bypass. But that doesn’t even make much sense.

>> No.3858195

>>3858165
>>3858183
more like vidya is built with established and very understandable quests to take down. You feel concrete progress even by just unlocking a previously closed area. Not to mention, the developers also has already planned and built your virtual environments to be able to equip you with ways to defeat the challenge. They need to make sure that you, the player, will be able to move onto the next dungeon. But with art, you're the one who has to make the effort to git gud enough that you progress on your own. There are also tools available around, like books for example, but it's all on you to research and it'll take hard work and time. No one's going to be the developer who makes sure you can certainly get to the next door. All on you. And it's harder to get to that door than vidya because art is a huge field of study as compared to a game.

>> No.3858198

>>3858194
Drawing is an art. Like music is an art. Same as engineering. The difference between a game and an art is there are no constraints on an art, your limits are the physical laws of nature. With a game you just cut the rope or whatever some nerd decides is a fun problem, it’s fucking around. Can’t you feel the difference?

>> No.3858200

>>3858195
This guy too. Games can be art in extreme cases, probably only Eve online reaches that point, but they need to make money and balance so it distorts it.

>> No.3858202

is this a lowkey troll thread?

>> No.3858204

>>3858202
Shh and eat the bait

>> No.3858208

>>3858124
>implying MC Escher perspective is bad
just off yourself

>> No.3858211

>>3858123
I contsruct bodies better than last year and I obviously am much better with observation drawings. I feel like right now I have to push myself like never before to truly get somewhere.

>> No.3858217

>>3858195
Drawing has established and very understandable quests too. Like I want to do this, but it just doesn't work out. What's the difference between abstract progress and concrete progress? Making a line or a combination of lines that you couldn't before sounds very concrete. Sure, they have planned and built that, but that's a given. If they didn't the game would be broken and unable to be finished. Drawing isn't like that. It's not broken, so you don't need to cheat or anything to finish it. It's basically the same situation in which life already has planned and built your environment in this case, real, to be able to equip you with ways to defeat the challenge. In both, you have to make the effort to get good and progress. Not every game is as simple as you may be thinking. Art may seem like a huge field of study, but you have to think about it and how you're focusing on just drawing. It's like how gaming is a huge field because there's so many genres, but you only need to play one. The two aren't too different, but there feels like a difference in the two in the ways progression can be done.

>>3858198
The limits of a game are very high end, you wouldn't ever hit them either. It's probably a lower limit than the physical laws of nature, but it's still high enough that even with a decade of more of playing that certain game, you may not have mastered everything or figured out everything. That's not every game though. Cutting the rope obviously isn't what you do, unless you play cut the rope. In which, you have to figure out the velocity and other physics related motion to complete that game. Quite difficult game if I can do so myself. Puzzle games were never my forte, but then again, most games are just puzzles with a different face to them. Puzzle games are especially the ones similar to drawing because you'll run out of solutions then get stuck and may never ever finish that game.

>> No.3858221

>>3858208
>hasn’t seen what MC Escher saw
There’s just no way you could make it

>> No.3858226

>>3858217
Nope you don’t get it. It’s about your whole being, background, mindset and intelligence. The dimensions of possible expression in art are 10^n greater than in any game. Aka there’s room for creativity, which also makes it a non nerdy pursuit.

>> No.3858462

>>3858123
Had a bit of a "wow I'm actually making progress moment" yesterday when I completed a sketch.
Compared to what I could be doing, it's shit.
Compared to what others are doing, it's even more shit.
Compared to what I want to do, shit is no longer a strong enough descriptor.
Compared to what's possible, it's transcended the realm of shit and entered into the unspeakable levels of garbage.
But I actually completed it, and compared to too much time spent with nothing but half-finished drawings, self-hatred, sulking, pleading, researching, procrastinating disguised as researching, envy, jealousy, disgust, revile, epiphany, questioning, confusion, doubt, unrest, and all that fun stuff, I actually finished something. I sat down and didn't look up until it was finished. For me and my beyond /beg/-tier ass, it's a big step, and I'm pretty sure I can actually complete things in the future, hopefully things that are quantifiably less shit. Shit, but less shit.
Progress in disciplines like art requires you to set and believe your own goals. You have to define it.

>> No.3858487

>>3858194
>>3858183
80 IQ

>> No.3858537

every day i learn a cool little thing about art i didn't know yesterday. even if its not a study but just looking at art, conciously visualing cool ideas, compositions, styles, or little 'cool things' the artist did (even if the whole piece isnt the best) is awesome. learn to genuienly appreciate art and you will learn a lot from it.

>> No.3858602

I always felt like I was making progress, but the progress was excruciatingly slow sometimes.

>> No.3858686

a little every day. noticeable serious improvement, weeks, months, years. i havent reached decades yet. if you enjoye it and practice every day (more or less) you will get better. soon. you wont get good though. that takes time. you arent going to become a master overnight. have fun and keep at it. a bit of presistence is needed

>> No.3858761

>>3858160
Drawing is the sans undertale of videogames
It's basically impossible but still fun

>> No.3858898

>>3858123
Like a year? That was the point I had some objective measure that I wasn't terrible. Then I could see the progress grow more steadily. Recently I looked at some older stuff and was like "wow that's not total shit, what happened?" and realized you can't view your current work clearly.

>> No.3858900

>>3858123
5 years

>> No.3858965

>>3858156
no u

>> No.3860009

>>3858123
2 days.
Then two years of feeling like I'm stagnating.
After that it started feeling like I'm slowly inching forward each day.

>> No.3860016

>>3858123
I couldn't draw at all in the beginning so every tiny step forward felt like progress at first. The drought only came later on.

>> No.3860206

>>3858123
I knew I had gotten better the second I finally clicked and got rid of symbol drawing, actually seeing what's in front of me.
Then I started being able to study from non blacl and white pictures, then I started being able to do just as good with real life nstead of pictures.
On the imagination part though, I still got a long way to go and the progress is mich less noticeable.

>> No.3860215
File: 12 KB, 480x357, 1551074499963.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Three months and counting with continuos practice and I haven't seen or felt anything close to improvement.

>> No.3860248

>>3860206
>On the imagination part though, I still got a long way to go and the progress is mich less noticeable
That has a weird curve to it. It's like I had to not draw and just lay around imagining shit for weeks before I could drop some lines and make something out of it. It comes as much from what you have as what you intended and it's like you have to work both to get better.

>> No.3860399

>>3858183
>You have to learn during video games too and that’s legitimately difficult as well
Jesus Christ, you're actually retarded.

>> No.3860942

A couple months, but now with each drawing I feel some improvements

>> No.3860994

>>3858123
About four-five years, I have always liked drawing and most of my notebooks were scribbled with things which I thought of.Most of the times they came out somewhat ugly or at the very best strange looking.About a year ago I started getting compliments from my classmates and it wasn't like they didn't know I liked drawing or was drawing, almost every brake between classes I had the pen in my hand. About a month ago my parents started noticing my interest and asked me if I wanted to see an art teacher to tell me if I was actually good at drawing. The teacher told me that I definitely had my style and I should continue on with drawing but as a hobby tho.

That's pretty much it.

>> No.3861102
File: 501 KB, 1080x1920, IMG_6237.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So. You're saying that drawing is the dark souls of skills then?

I think progress can be really hard to see sometimes even if you've made a lot. But I think that most of the progress. Or at least the important one is getting good rid of the mental constrains tha keep you down. You know how they say that to skate a big ramp or do stuff liek that, you "just do it", like, you gotta throw yourself to it? Well, i think there's a shit ton of that in art as well.
When I started with my current teacher I'd have a panic attack every time I saw a model with drapery and more than 3 objects in it. These days, I go at whatever model without really giving a shit. A few months ago I started painting and learning about color. So I'm not 100% focused on drawing right now. But I think I'm moving forward quite a bit with each painting session (I do one or two a week, 3 hours each. Can't practice at home yet because no materials)
Pic related. The last wip pic of my current study.

>> No.3861181

I started drawing at 21 so I’m sure many of you can relate. I’m also talking exclusively about drawing from imagination rather then observation. You can quickly get the grasp of very passable observational drawing within a year.

First 3-4 years are very rough but there’s definitly improvement if you look back at them over time. Even so they’re going to look terrible and even worse through your critical mid 20’s eyes. It’s really psychologically tough to be an adult doing badly crude drawings haha. I’d say Around 25/26ish is when I’m starting to see finished stuff that sometimes doesn’t look too bad.

I’m 27 now and still a ways off, but I’m not as scared as I used to be of getting good in some sort of timeframe. I think I understand this takes a lifetime of study and I’m alright with that. It sounds EXTREMELY cheesy but I think your probably lucky to find something your willing to put your life into, no matter how long it takes or what others think about it, a lot of people don’t have anything like that until they get a family

>> No.3861749

>>3861181
>I think your probably lucky to find something your willing to put your life into

Well said. I believe that art is a much better experience if you focus on stuff liek that. And how it's something that flows from within you. Rather than obsession over being the drone that makes the concept for the new gay overwatch character or not.

Sinix started aroudn the same age as yo uand he managed to get to quite an acceptable level so far. So I think you're not in a bad spot.