[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 178 KB, 750x864, 24.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3295894 No.3295894[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How can you cope with starting to draw late in life? Lately whenever I see art I am impressed by I have to look up how old the artist is or how old the artist was when he started and in 99/100 of the cases it's much younger than me and it makes me feel like it's impossible for me to compete. Learning how to draw is a very slow process and progress isn't always steady. I feel insecure and demotivated thinking just how old I might be by the time I get decent. I don't just want to do it as a hobby because that feels like a path of mediocrity but art is such a hyper competitive field and everyone already got a huge head-start. And that's not even mentioning other advantages people have like rich/well connected parents/great social skills/good looks... if anything I should have had started way earlier than everyone else to make up for this...

How can I get a positive mindset? I keep having these thoughts every time I draw and they distracts me.

>> No.3295895

Don't be such a god damn pussy, keep your head down and draw.

>> No.3295897

>>3295894
How old are you? art careers are not a competition, therefore there is no such thing as a "head start". if you have the TIME (no full time job, kids, spouse, etc) then it doesn't matter because that's the only kind of advantage younger artists would have on you, the fact that they tend to not have any responsibilities to hold them back from practicing many hours a day.

>well connected parents/good looks
this matters literally zero.

>> No.3295902

>>3295894
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BXuZL1HAg&feature=youtu.be
watch this
also know that there's a curve that make all artsits who get better to slow down, eventually everyone gets to their true final comfort zone and stays there, it usually akes from 5 to 20 years, so if you'll keep on working you will outperform all the lazy-ass kids m8.

>> No.3295919

>>3295894
Artists don't improve endlessly. Most professionals improve to a certain level and then they stay there or sometimes even get slightly worse.

>> No.3295920
File: 135 KB, 700x700, fallenangels.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3295894
Honestly, nut up or grow some fucking ovaries or whatever but this seedless sterile placed approach to drawing is just sad.

>you need to remember that these kids who draw often don't put the hours in when they're in their 20's, most stop, go into a rut or just slow down.
>These kids are jogging so if you run you can catch up, so to speak

So just draw for about 4-5 hours a day and you'll catch up.

You fucking melt

>> No.3296051

>>3295894
Serotonin supplements.
Tell your doctor you're depressed and your therapist recommends something like Sertraline or Zoloft. Just be sure you're started off with a small dose, and start it on a day off to see if it makes you wired or drowsy to see if you should take it before bed or when you wake up.

>> No.3296135

>this "learning is a race against the age and talent of others" attitude

God damn it, not another one. Look, anon, the next time you have a thought like this:
>I'm too old to learn enough to be good
>I'm too old to get a job in this day and age
>I'll never be as good as the artists I admire
>There are kids better than me
>There are people my own age better than me
>There are old people better than me
>Everybody learns faster than me
>I'm never gonna make it because other people are already good
>A bloo bloo bloo
>Etc.
Just let it go. I mean it, just let that thought fizzle off into the ether because it is useless to you, and poison to an artist's mindset.

Lets say you're a decrepit sea turtle of a person, literally wasting away on your deathbed, lamenting how you never did anything with your life. If you picked up a pencil and drew something--really drew something, by thinking and observing and feeling--just before you died? You'd have STILL done more than all the others who died wishing they could draw, but never did anything about it because they chose to live a life of victim play and self-sabotage.

But you're NOT a dying old man (I must assume). You're a grown (but still green) human being, who's already gotten through the dumb bullshit of being a stupid child with no agency, thoughts, or meaning of their own. What that means to you is the only thing stopping you is you. I understand that's a really scary prospect, and that imagining legions of bogeymen is much easier than admitting that developing a skill is your own burden to bear, but you should never rationalize outside situations as why you aren't where you want to be. Just because there's some shithead 16-year old Argentinian kid who draws better Overwatch girls than you can right now doesn't mean you can NEVER be an artist. Stop using the success of others as a means to deny becoming the person you want to be.

Now stand up, stretch, get your blood moving for a few minutes, and then get back to work.

>> No.3296146

>>3295894
there is a book called
art and fear

read it. threads like yours have been done a gorillion times.

>> No.3296186

how do you get a positive mindset?
you shut the fuck up with your terrible whiny attitude and you stop saying dumb shit
let me paraphrase you
>when I look up the age of an artist, they're always younger than me
age doesn't fucking matter, and another artist's age shouldn't be the reason you won't fucking apply yourself
start learning now and you'll be better later
it's as simple as that
>I might get really old before my art is good
so the fuck what? old artists still get mad pussy, they just need more breaks
>doing art as a hobby means it'll be mediocre and I won't get a job doing it
shit mindset, stop thinking like this immediately and enjoy art regardless of money
and if you really want a job making art, you're going to have to work your ass off for it
but you don't want to work hard, do you?
no, you want to moan that everyone else only got ahead of you by having a laundry list of 'advantages'
instead of admitting that maybe other people just work harder than you
>everyone else has a head-start
>everyone else has rich parents/good looks/social skills
>I'll never be able to compete because WASPs exist
this isn't high school anymore so knock that the fuck off
yeah there's a super small percentage of people who may have some specific advantages granted to them by means of both status and genetics
but most people? gross, retarded ugnaughts who got where they are by slowly and accidentally learning skills that people needed from them
a person who really likes to talk to people and takes meticulous and useful notes gets good work as a personal assistant
a person who cooks delicious food while still running the employees of a stressful kitchen is paid well by a high-end restaurant
a person who draws people and unique concepts exceptionally well makes good money as a character designer
now, do you know the reward for being a person who acts like a giant bitch about their contemporaries?
fucking nothing
and if you get nothing for it, why do it?
punk ass