[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 730 KB, 799x1788, Screenshot (2878).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2240293 No.2240293 [Reply] [Original]

Here's a question- what exercises or studies do you turn to for when you have art block? Like, what's your go-to exercise for just drawing SOMETHING, even though you have no idea what you want to draw exactly?

>> No.2240295

life drawing. when i feel art blocked i don't spend my time thinking about "what to draw" - most of the time i'm feeling blocked because i want to do better then i can at the moment. so i just try to keep my fun, grab some random items and draw in my sketchbook. or just draw my room. or go outside, city square, river, to the museum, etc.

once i feel the flow again i continue with my usual drawings. (mostly studies atm)

>> No.2240303

>>2240293
Pick two or three random words or ideas and try to combine them into something unique. An easy one is to pick a characteristic and an animal and make a Pokemon or something out of it. Try bookmarking these links or just hitting Alt+Shift+X on Wikipedia or its sister sites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Special:Random

>> No.2240308
File: 199 KB, 869x1262, asdfghjkl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2240293

>> No.2240395

>>2240308
BULLSHIT

look around you, notice what makes you go "that's pretty cool" and then break it up in "what do i find cool in this?" and draw it

>> No.2240417

>>2240395
I think the point is that you then try way too hard to find something thats "cool" and then start to think too much about it instead of just fucking drawing something.

>> No.2240666

I do a self portrait and then go from there. It usually opens up some ideas. Or I just end up drawing dicks. Waiting on inspiration is pointless though, you have to learn to create without it. Put animal heads on people and render them creepy real. Once you start making connections like that it becomes easier.