Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 332 KB, 1034x870, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310275 No.71310275 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Can linux do this natively?

>> No.71310291
File: 82 KB, 1200x894, screenshot_1253.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310291

>>71310275
Linux is a kernel.
Certain Desktop Environments have this, yes

>> No.71310309
File: 17 KB, 400x300, trackpoint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310309

*blocks ur path*

>> No.71310319
File: 95 KB, 800x681, 800px_COLOURBOX10232235.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310319

>>71310291
>gnome extension
>only works with wayland
>only works with libinput

>> No.71310326

>>71310275
Linux can't do this even with 3rd party drivers.

>> No.71310337

>>71310275

that image is a perfect example of "just because something can be done does not mean that it's a good idea".

I just made the mistake of going to the WashingtonExaminer website again, after forgetting that the nerd who designs that web page probably has 7-finger gestures programmed into his gentoo workstation. It started two fucking videos as soon as the page loaded, and it was a fucking text article, not a video link. I managed to stop one of the videos, but the other one had no controls that I could find. Probably needed to put my feet on my touchpad to kill it.

>> No.71310338

>>71310319
>Complaining about needing bloat to do something windows does.

>> No.71310340

>>71310275
of course not or works like shit because it's linux
also >>71310309 is right, touchpads a shit
trackpoint master race

>> No.71310345

>>71310275
Loonix can't do anything

>> No.71310362

>>71310275
Why would I ever move my hands off the home row for this kind of mundane shit?

>> No.71310405

>>71310337
>le usability is bad
Just because your jank fuck shit OS doesn't support it, doesn't mean it's automatically a bad idea.

>> No.71310409

>>71310275
it can but for the love of god get a mouse.

>> No.71310418

Yes I have all of this on my computer, next

>> No.71310437

Nope, only two finger shit

>> No.71310499

Literally zoomer tier shit copying smartphone navigation over to laptops. Just use key bindings like a normal person.

>> No.71310716
File: 325 KB, 416x416, 1549431693056.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310716

linux is a kernel
windows is an operating system
you're retarded
and your mom is a hoe

>> No.71310724
File: 148 KB, 1155x485, fuck gnu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310724

>>71310716
kys

>> No.71310769

>>71310275
linux literally can't do any graphical action "natively" you fucking sperg, it's called a desktop environment, not "linux"

>> No.71310787

>>71310724
>Linux is an operating system. By my definition...
nobody gives a fuck about random seething wintard's opinion. >>>out

>> No.71310837

>>71310319
using all of it right now still with less than half the idle ram usage of win10

>> No.71310872

>>71310787
>nobody gives a fuck about random seething wintard's opinion. >>>out
Not him, but you're joking, right?

>> No.71310886

>>71310275
"Natively" doesn't mean anything on gnu/Linux systems. They're just collections of programs made by different people.

>> No.71310923

why are all you techbros such faggots

>> No.71310947
File: 152 KB, 1039x1024, 1450391827026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310947

>>71310275
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>> No.71310965
File: 2.64 MB, 320x240, these englishman are baffled at your idiocy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71310965

>>71310319
>only works with wayland
>only works with libinput
>this is somehow a deal breaker

>> No.71310984

>>71310319
>only works with waylands
>only works with libinput
fucking based

>> No.71311016

>>71310965
>>71310984
libinput is unusable on my **50 chinkpad
whenever I move the cursor, it stutters and lags
I assume this is happening because of hysteresis but I haven't been able to find a way to turn it off
also, no kinetic scroll which makes scrolling awful

>> No.71311056
File: 549 KB, 892x820, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71311056

>>71311016
time to upgrade (or to make a pull request)

>> No.71311427
File: 3.92 MB, 2025x2025, 1507229019615.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71311427

>REEEEEEEEEEEE
>leecucks is a kernel
lmao @ the cope

>> No.71311659

welp, kde is finally getting configuration hooked up for libinput+X, of course das foot could but wont offer such control.
i find it bemusing to use "native" considering in windows you need to slog through driver supplied control panels to tweak pads

>> No.71311715

>>71311659
driver supplied control panels are better
for mine to work as it did in windows, I had to install synaptics, create a config file on /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, and go read the manual for synaptics

>> No.71311763

>>71310872
Not him, but what makes you say that?

>> No.71311815

Works ootb in Fedora, some applications even have custom gesture actions, e.g. in Epiphany you can swipe left or right with 2 fingers to go back and forth.

>> No.71311820

>>71310291
Linus is a techtip, you retard

>> No.71312009

>>71310275

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ek4QaFQ1qo

>> No.71312437

>>71311763
Do you consider Linus Torvalds to be a wintard?

>> No.71313321

>>71311427
cringe

>> No.71314938

I don't have a trackpad that supports that, I don't think I can buy the equivalent of an apple magic trackpad for windows.

>> No.71314990
File: 398 KB, 720x480, 1444145830877.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71314990

>>71312437
Linus Torvalds is a wintard.

>> No.71315002

>>71314938
No, it even works on a toaster if you can install latest Windows on it.

>> No.71315602

>>71310275
Bases windows precision touchpad support. OEM drivers suck ass and gatekeep features. Any laptop can get this if you install generic drivers manually. I did it because in the year 2019 Asus still thinks 30% CPU usage for scrolling is a feature.

>> No.71315738

>>71310291
>Linux is a kernel.
So it's an OS.

>> No.71317168

>>71315738
nicu baitto desu ka

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action