Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 44 KB, 490x586, 1539609992550.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240182 No.68240182 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

>I use Windows

>> No.68240247
File: 42 KB, 1177x1024, npcos.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240247

Applel better

>> No.68240251

>>68240247
They're both for NPCs, but Windows more so.

>> No.68240279
File: 8 KB, 636x773, 1539639652752.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240279

>I just installed Ubuntu

>> No.68240303

>>68240251
>but Windows more so
Nah, not really. Windows is used by people that work with computers, MacOS is used by people who care about their computers as a status symbol, eg: consumer drones and NPCs

>> No.68240326

>>68240303
>Windows is used by people that work with computers
No, it is used by people who are too stupid to install their own OS. At best it is used by office drones who put numbers in boxes. It's just for NPCs because it comes on the machines they buy.

>> No.68240339

>>68240182
what the fuck do you even do in linux not kidding I have zero idea what does linux have that windows doesn't that is worth the switch.

>> No.68240354

>>68240339
Linux is a kernel.

>> No.68240371

>>68240354
Linux is also an operating system as defined by POSIX

>> No.68240380
File: 10 KB, 416x435, 1540626069384.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240380

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>> No.68240389

>>68240371
No, it is a kernel. Nothing more. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, however.

>> No.68240440

>>68240354
>>68240389
>Linux is a monolithic kernel and therefore not comparable to small kernels like NT
Fixed

>> No.68240454
File: 5 KB, 200x161, 14989199551310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240454

GAHNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
SLASH
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONIX

>> No.68240457

>>68240440
I wasn't comparing it to any kernel, I merely said it was a kernel. Looks like you blew your load a little early.

>> No.68240464

>>68240389
Listen jackass, when someone refers to Linux as an operating system they mean one of the many distros that utilize the Linux kernel.

Also unless you want to make us of C programming I'd ignore Linux.

>> No.68240476
File: 121 KB, 478x318, 1536610771256.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240476

>I use linux because I'm good with computers

>> No.68240483

>>68240380
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

>> No.68240489

>>68240464
>they mean one of the many distros that utilize the Linux kernel.
Like Android?
>Also unless you want to make us of C programming I'd ignore Linux.
I don't know what you're trying to say. Care to clarify?

>> No.68240497

>>68240483
Linux is a kernel.

>> No.68240516

>that poor anon who's original question is ignored
>all this discussion about kernel and operating systems
lel.

>> No.68240530

>>68240516
dumb idiot shouldn't come to /g/ for tech support

>> No.68240573

>>68240530
>dumb idiot shouldn't come to /g/ for tech support
>what do you do in loonix that in windows you don't that would make it worth the switchero
You are the reason why the year of linux never ever.

>> No.68240592

Is it okay to say Linux Distro?

>> No.68240593

>>68240573
It's almost like nobody who uses the GNU operating system actually cares about something as trivial as market share.

>> No.68240598

>>68240573
who cares
year of the *bsd desktop when :^)

>> No.68240600

>>68240592
If you're referring to something like Android or Alpline, yes.

>> No.68240607
File: 103 KB, 600x315, e.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240607

>>68240182
I use the OS most suitable for the specific task at hand, mostly windows and linux

>> No.68240620

>>68240600
What if you want it to include those plus gnu/linux

>> No.68240626

>>68240326
Lmao seething freetard. Windows users mastered the art of reinstall Windows for obvious reason. Install loonix is really easy now but no body give a shit about loonix.
Buying laptop with loonix then pirate Windows is a popular way to save money among poorfags.

>> No.68240630

>>68240607
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HE USES WINDOWS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
t. /g/

>> No.68240638

>>68240607
Firstly, you should place more value in your freedom. Secondly, Linux is a kernel, not an operating system. Thirdly, Windows is not good for any task.
>>68240620
You should refer to GNU/Linux distros as GNU/Linux distros.
>>68240626
I can smell the curry through my monitor.

>> No.68240685

>>68240457
>I merely said it was a kernel
Since other kernels aren't monolithic, it should be mentioned. Leaving it out is a clear implication that you want to group it up to other "just kernels". It's nothing like them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolithic_kernel
Here is a Wikipedia article showing what a monolithic kernel is. Can you look at the picture and point out where the line for "operating system" is drawn? You might also read the first paragraph of the article.

>> No.68240713
File: 305 KB, 2048x1536, 331123_3123430164158_1216718494_3378390_419375206_o1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240713

>>68240638
Don't put your curry so close in your monitor next time then Gnoojeet

>> No.68240727

>>68240685
>Since other kernels aren't monolithic, it should be mentioned
Not necessarily. The statement that Linux is a kernel is still 100% truthful.
>Leaving it out is a clear implication that you want to group it up to other "just kernels". It's nothing like them.
No, it is a statement that it is a kernel. Nothing more. You are trying to read into it to much. My statement is truthful.
>>68240713
Nice meme, ranjeet.

>> No.68240728

>.Secondly, Linux is a kernel, not an operating system. Thirdly, Windows is not good for any task.
>You should refer to GNU/Linux distros as GNU/Linux distros.

Sorry but noone gives a flying fuck about your autistic wordplay. You'll call it that in your little circlejerk, but for the world it'll always remain Linux.

>> No.68240729

can we post epic npc memes instead of fighting :DDDDD????

>> No.68240731
File: 86 KB, 430x441, 10b61Z5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240731

>I need Windows for my video games

>> No.68240737

>>68240727
Nice try trying to avoid mentioning the Wikipedia article since you got nothing to counter it.

>> No.68240758

>>68240728
>but for the world it'll always remain Linux.
Yes, to NPCs it will be Linux. But it is actually GNU/Linux.
>>68240737
It's a Wikipedia article about monolithic kernels. Why do you think this is some kind of trump card? Because you just found out what a monolithic kernel is? We all already know what we are discussing, I shouldn't have to spell things out for you. The /sqt/ exists for a reason. Now run along, boy, there are more pressing matters at hand.

>> No.68240766

>I use linux to run proprietary software
>I make youtube ad revenue from linux videos but use windows 10 when I'm not recording
>I arrogantly compare pirated $1,000 software on windows to free software on linux
>I like the aesthetic of terminals but have a touchscreen monitor

>> No.68240797

Anyone that is using something other than templeOS is an npc and an MITnigger

>> No.68240802
File: 59 KB, 1499x383, OS-structure2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240802

>>68240758
>It's a Wikipedia article about monolithic kernels. Why do you think this is some kind of trump card?
You would know the answer to this question if you opened the link and read what was asked.
>A monolithic kernel is an operating system architecture where the entire operating system is working in kernel space. The monolithic model differs from other operating system architectures (such as the microkernel architecture)[1][2] in that it alone defines a high-level virtual interface over computer hardware. A set of primitives or system calls implement all operating system services such as process management, concurrency, and memory management. Device drivers can be added to the kernel as modules.
Linux is an operating system while still being a kernel. A monolithic kernel. Saying "Linux is a kernel" is a useless statement.

>> No.68240806

>>68240758
>Yes, to NPCs it will be Linux. But it is actually GNU/Linux.
Yes my little snowflake, keep telling yourself that the world is revolving around you. You're the Player.

>> No.68240826

>>68240638
Not him, but I do value my freedom, and that's why I don't restrict my software choices by the arbitrary rules some power hungry jew made up.

>> No.68240847

>>68240802
>You would know the answer to this question if you opened the link and read what was asked.
I'm already well aware of what it is. Obviously you have only just figured it out and now think you hold the keys to the kingdom. But this has been common knowledge since time immemorial.
>Linux is an operating system while still being a kernel
Yes, such as Android. But not in the case of GNU/Linux.
>Saying "Linux is a kernel" is a useless statement.
Your posts in this thread have been useless, but you still did it.
>>68240826
How is the rule that you should only use software that gives you total freedom arbitrary?

>> No.68240863
File: 33 KB, 218x210, naniii.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68240863

>>68240826
>rules some power hungry jew made up.

>> No.68240869

>>68240863
He could be referring to Christianity.

>> No.68240909

>>68240847
>thinking he can only say "um, no" and that wins the argument
If you want to convince people (which you obviously do since you feel the need to mention that Linux is a kernel when no one asked) you should have some arguments to back it up. At least I gave sources to my claims.

>> No.68240918

>>68240909
You haven't said anything of note, and posting a Wikipedia article does not help that. I'm not sure what you are actually trying to do, but you sound lost and afraid.

>> No.68240946

>A bunch of losers using the most popular meme to argue about who is more able to think for themselves

get the fuck out of here with that shit lol

>> No.68240981

>>68240918
>You haven't said anything of note
This is false. I was educating you by saying that Linux is an operating system while being a kernel. I gave a Wikipedia article link to show sources to this and even repeated them when you didn't understand. You made a claim too but didn't give any sources to it, nor did you write any by hand. Baseless claims are redirected to trash.
>Yes, such as Android. But not in the case of GNU/Linux.
What does GNU remove from Linux to stop it being an operating system as defined by the linked Wikipedia article?

>> No.68240994

>>68240847
>How is the rule that you should only use software that gives you total freedom arbitrary?
If I ignore Stallman, I can use, copy, modify and redistribute "free software", and I can also use, copy, modify and redistribute "proprietary software".
On the other hand, if you abide by his rules, you can only use, copy, modify and redistribute "free software", but you cannot touch proprietary software.
You can do about 50% of what I can do. In what sense are you more free than me? Only in the sense that you are abiding by Stallman's new-speak made up definition of "freedom".

>>68240863
The Tribe sure loves to make up their own definitions to get dumb retards to join their cults.

>> No.68241007

>>68240638
>Thirdly, Windows is not good for any task.
t. unemployed NEET living in a basement

>> No.68241051

>>68240981
>I was educating you by saying that Linux is an operating system while being a kernel
You weren't educating anyone. You are merely stating this we all knew and never denied. I cited Android before you had ever even posted.
>You made a claim too but didn't give any sources to it
I don't see why I would have to. What I have said is common knowledge and needs no explaining, really. It is very simple. Sorry if it was too difficult for you. You should ask for clarification next time, rather than throwing a tantrum like you are now. No one will be willing to help you understand these concepts if you treat them this poorly.
>What does GNU remove from Linux to stop it being an operating system as defined by the linked Wikipedia article?
You can easily find a list of GNU utilities online. This really is rudimentary knowledge.
>>68240994
>I can also use, copy, modify and redistribute "proprietary software".
With reverse engineering, I suppose.
>but you cannot touch proprietary software.
A suggestion is not an order.
>In what sense are you more free than me?
Because the software is free. You are free to be enslaved, yes, but we are talking about free software here.
>>68241007
What makes you say that?

>> No.68241057

>>68241007
t. Employed Microsoft shill

>> No.68241060

>>68240638
>Windows is not good for any task

Imagine being this pretentious. If your job is to write random gibberish in a text file, that's your problem. Windows is good for a lot of things, many scientific and engineering tools are only available on Windows.
If Windows wasn't good, you wouldn't have your house. :^)

>> No.68241075

>>68241051
>agreeing to a contract is being enslaved
Found the NEET

>> No.68241088

>>68241075
You can sell yourself into slavery, which requires a contract.
>>68241060
My house was built in the 19th century.
>many scientific and engineering tools are only available on Windows.
Such as?

>> No.68241098

>>68241051
>what makes you say that
An insistence that an OS is useless despite massive industry utility just shows you have absolutely no idea how the real world works
>>68241057
t. Unemployed basement dweller

>> No.68241113

>>68241098
>massive industry utility
Such as?

>> No.68241147

>>68240638
Firstly. I am FREE to use whatever I want.
Secondly. Kill you'resleve

>> No.68241169

>>68241113
3D modeling and engineering, building design, electronics design, physical/mathematical analysis, any number of data management that doesnt run on special snowflake kernels, etc

>> No.68241170

>>68241147
Yes, you are free to be enslaved. But if your software does not guarantee the four freedoms it is not free software.

>> No.68241178

>>68241169
These are just fields and are not specific to any OS or kernel.

>> No.68241193

>>68241051
So you are unable to back up any claims, just spout this idiotic "I know this, you know this, everyone knows this" and hope that no one questions you.
>You can easily find a list of GNU utilities online.
Yes, those utilities really make the operating system finally usable. This doesn't alter the fact that in theoretical level Linux is the operating system here. There's a line that separates what's an operating system and what isn't. Installing a browser so you can browse the internet doesn't mean that the browser is part of the operating system either, nor is a spreadsheet program. It just makes your computing usable. Of course you can't use plain Linux for anything but that's still the part that's called the operating system. Check the picture again. See how there's also another level called "system" there? That's what we're using when we have Linux as a base. It's a Linux-based system then. Linux is the operating system part of that system. Correcting people who say the word "Linux" is pointless arguing and should be stopped.

>> No.68241205

>>68241178
You asked for examples of industry utilities

>> No.68241223

>>68241193
>So you are unable to back up any claims
I already have. You don't have to post external links to back up a claim.
>nonsense yammering
Yawn. Okay, kid. Unless you have something poignant to say I'd like to wrap this up. I know you're excited that you learned something today, but this is really dull for someone who already knows what they're talking about.
>>68241205
No, I asked for examples of Windows utility within industries.

>> No.68241245

>>68241088
>Such as?
CYPECAD, SAP2000, SOLIDWORKS, Autodesk software (AutoCAD and especially Revit for BIM projects), CREO, Mathcad...

>> No.68241263

>>68241245
Those are just the names of software, not specific tools.

>> No.68241286

>>68241088
>You can sell yourself into slavery, which requires a contract.
Nope, any such contract is invalid and won't be upheld in a court of law

>> No.68241310

>>68241007
Less than 20% of people need a computer for their job, less than half of those need windows exclusively and even less than that need it in their homes as their OS.
You're out of touch with reality if you think otherwise.

>> No.68241313

>>68241286
Depends on the country and time period.

>> No.68241317

>>68241170
"free to be enslaved"

I don't feel enslaved by my OS because I use the appropriate one for the application.

Sorry about your life confined to guhnew/Loonicks box.

> But if your software does not guarantee the four freedoms it is not free software.
Yes, and?

>> No.68241330

>>68241223
>Yawn. Okay, kid.
Still not an argument. You have total of 0 arguments provided. It's starting to sound like you can't even read full posts without losing focus after the first sentence. This is not something you should be proud of. It makes you bad in arguments.
>You don't have to post external links to back up a claim.
How would do define backing up a claim? Can you point out precisely where you backed one up?

>> No.68241334

>>68241263
Acessible Visual programming tools for automation of building design only available on Windows.

>> No.68241353

>when the loonix user realize that they using a meme KERNEL OS and start seething that windows is better in everything while loonix is just better for servers and autistics wallpapers threads

>> No.68241362

>If you use windows you don't care about freedom
True
>If you use linux (gnu/linux, gnu+linux, linux distro) you care about freedom
Probably not true

Windows is popular because it's one of the first OSes with a GUI, there's a ton of stuff in it, it tries to please everyone, one-size-fits-all, so it makes sense that it's the most popular OS. It makes sense that if you don't have any special requirements the OS must fulfill you'll choose windows because it's everywhere. Not necessarily good.

It's pretty lame to equate the gnu/linux distros with freedom when the most popular ones don't have freedom as a priority. Usually they include nonfree software by default, or have it in their repositories.

Generally being pragmatic is good in the long run, but people have ideals. Stallman does not use anything that restricts users' freedoms, but he had to give up so many conveniences to be able to do that. That's not easy, and probably very few people are "truly free". Nonfree hardware, nonfree software, it's all around us.

I like linux because of the versatility, I can do pretty much anything I like in linux. PowerDesigner is only available for windows, and I need to use this software so I have windows installed as well.

>> No.68241377

>>68240339
It's not a matter of what linux do, but what linux don't.
Things such as getting targeted by hackers, spying on you, rebooting on system updates, slowly abandoning native binaries for horrid unoptimized "UWPs", having a fixed ugly theme...

>> No.68241403

>>68241263
Are you fucking kidding me? These ARE specific tools. Or you're telling me that a fucking structural analysis software for reinforced concrete and steel isn't a specific tool for engineers?

>> No.68241404

>>68241377
Linux is a kernel.

>> No.68241421

>>68241404
Linux is the kernel, the OS and the spirit.

>> No.68241428
File: 90 KB, 640x640, 8e02768e89446cb3205a4621522fe709.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68241428

>>68240638
get a life

>> No.68241429

>>68241317
That's called Stockholm syndrome.
>>68241330
>Still not an argument
That wasn't an argument, no. I was simply dismissing you. I think you're a little too hooked onto /pol/ memes if you think everything is an argument.
>You have total of 0 arguments provided
Define argument.
>It makes you bad in arguments.
I'm not trying to argue with you, kid. You are just boring. You haven't said anything worth discussing. You're just here to fling shit. Hence why you want an argument rather than a discussion. But all you are doing is bringing things up that have been discussed to death. Sure, they're new to you, but you need to understand that some of us have been here a lot longer than you and have far more experience and expertise in the field. So calm down, and try to have a discussion with someone who can teach you a thing or two.
>How would do define backing up a claim?
To back up a claim is simply to expand on it. You make a claim, then expand on the claim, that is how a discussion works.
>Can you point out precisely where you backed one up?
I could, but you could just as easily scroll up.
>>68241334
GNU/Linux has programming tools for the automation of architectural design.
>>68241403
Software suites are not tools. Tools are found within them.
>>68241362
So you know, you are using a lot of words to say nothing.

>> No.68241491

>>68241429
>Software suites are not tools. Tools are found within them.

>Operational systems are not tools. Tools are found within them.

>> No.68241498

>>68240182
OP I want you to think long and hard who is the real NPC:

Windows
>GUI to interact with a PC because it matches better with human vision and concepts of shapes and objects

Linux
>CLI which can be fully interacted with automatically by shell scripting

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

>> No.68241524

>>68241498
If you add some GNU to your Linux you can have a fully functioning GUI with all the pretty shapes and colours you want.
>>68241491
I guess this is true, I have no experience with operational systems.

>> No.68241550

>>68241524
>If you add some GNU to your Linux you can have a fully functioning GUI with all the pretty shapes and colours you want.
But that's just mimicing windows. Like an NPC in a game mimicing humans.

>> No.68241554

>>68241550
>But that's just mimicing windows.
Microsoft didn't invent GUIs.

>> No.68241587

>>68241554
Just because you didn't invent something doesn't mean you can't be mimicked. Like the Apple iPhone.

>> No.68241592

>>68241429
>kid kid kid kid
I hope you don't actually think you're good at this.
>You haven't said anything worth discussing
This is the most ironic part of all this.
>You make a claim, then expand on the claim
You have failed to do even this while it's part of your own definition. This is the second-most ironic part. You also systematically avoid countering any claims that are actually being backed up. This of course is because you can't do it. Very simple. If I were you I would be embarrassed by now. Then again I'm not used to making baseless claims and hoping people won't notice. You might be fully used to it by now.

>> No.68241602

>>68241429
>So you know, you are using a lot of words to say nothing.

Fair enough, that's a lot of words, but I don't agree with you on the "nothing" part. I'll simplify.

Windows is like Coca-Cola, everybody knows about it, and if they don't know much or don't care much they'll use that because it's probably going to be alright.

Linux is like looking at the menu and actually looking for somethint which isn't Cola. You might order that. Or, if you require something truly specific even go off the menu.

First is easier, second is more difficult. First is alright for many, second is for the finest sommeliers.

>> No.68241610

>>68241421
Linux is just a kernel.

>> No.68241630

>>68241610
Then why every website that distributes linux software call it linux?

>> No.68241631

>>68241587
Well, it isn't really mimicking at all. You can mimic certain aspects of GUIs is possible but not necessary. There are a lot of NeXTSTEP clones, that has nothing to do with Windows.
>>68241592
What claims would I have to counter? You just copied some text from an article on Wikipedia. You need to understand that what you are saying is not revolutionary, though it may seem that way to you.

>> No.68241635

>>68241630
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

>> No.68241636

>>68241630
Repeated errors.

>> No.68241665

>>68241635
>>68241636
If you say linux, people understand what you mean, this is how words are created.
Sadly sometimes brands are turned into words, like nintendo being synonymous with gaming consoles in the 80's.

>> No.68241684

>>68241429
>Stockholm syndrome
No it's called "having different priorities" you retard.

The difference is that i have no problems with your priorities beong different to mine.

Its ok. This attitude will come when youre older.

>> No.68241689

>>68241665
>If you say linux, people understand what you mean
I don't care.
>like nintendo being synonymous with gaming consoles in the 80's.
I think that was just in America.

>> No.68241698

>>68241684
That's what you would say.

>> No.68241700

>>68241631
>What claims would I have to counter?
Is this >>68240389 post yours? In that case you should be countering the quoted part of the Wikipedia article.

>> No.68241703

>>68241524
>I guess this is true, I have no experience with operational systems.
Probably because you use Linux.

>> No.68241710

>>68241689
Yes, because we didn't had internet back then.
If we did, it probably would be worldwide.
Like what happens with Linux now.

>> No.68241720

>>68241700
Sorry, but the article you posted does not contradict the fact that Linux is a kernel.

>> No.68241740

>>68241703
/thread

>> No.68241745

>>68241703
Do you mean operating systems or operational systems?

>> No.68241750

>>68241720
I can't find that "por que no los dos" picture, just imagine it.

>> No.68241757
File: 270 KB, 680x834, DBD0E16929F44942A35CFD27DBE4E63F.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
68241757

>there is nothing wrong with a distro that uses systems
>anyone who says otherwise is literally Hitler

>> No.68241760

>>68241750
I don't speak Portuguese, sorry.

>> No.68241779

>>68241689
>I don't care.
Did you read the 4chan site rules? Adults only.

>> No.68241792

>>68241720
As it shouldn't. Linux truly is a kernel. It's just unique in current year as other kernels aren't anything like it. That's why it's bad practice to leave out the most essential part of the sentence, that Linux is a monolithic kernel. A monolithic kernel can be called an operating system, according to publicly available information provided by Wikipedia. Saying that it's nothing more than an essential part of an operating system is false. It is the operating system. The sentence would only be correct if it said that Linux is an essential part of a system.

>> No.68241794

>>68241745
/r/wooosh

>> No.68241798

>>68241760
It means "why not both", I think.

>> No.68241816

>>68241792
>That's why it's bad practice to leave out the most essential part of the sentence, that Linux is a monolithic kernel.
That is not essential. The sentence is true without it.
>>68241794
I'm not sure what you are requesting.

>> No.68241858

>>68240251
Hell no. Windows, as dumb as it is, is the OS of the corporate world, what your average worker who has to use a computer at work is using. People buy windows because of the work they need to do and software they need, it's not about status.

You can't tell me that OSX revered by art students and Liberal Arts kids, isn't the OS of NPCs.

>> No.68241872

>>68241858
>sthe OS of the corporate world, what your average worker who has to use a computer at work is using
So NPCs?

>> No.68241873

>>68241816
>The sentence is true without it
While the sentence
>it's nothing more than an essential part of an operating system
is false. This is a model example why it was essential to mention the word "monolithic" as well. If you're not going to call Linux an operating system, you should be calling it a monolithic kernel. Otherwise you can make stupid errors like this one.

>> No.68241912

>>68241873
>If you're not going to call Linux an operating system, you should be calling it a monolithic kernel
No, as a monolithic kernel is a kernel. So it is not essential. You can say that you like it, but you cannot claim it is essential to the truth value of the statement, as it is true without it.
>While the sentence
>>it's nothing more than an essential part of an operating system
>is false.
I said the kernel is an essential part of an operating system. You can highlight text and copy it. That makes quoting both easier and more accurate.

>> No.68241937

>>68240182
You're not using the meme right, linux users are textbook examples of npc's because they hate drumpf and love star wars.

>> No.68241958

>>68241937
You do know there are over 2 billion active Linux devices, right?

>> No.68242018

>>68241958
>2 billion npc's
Good to know

>> No.68242033

>>68242018
Okay, pajeet, you aren't an NPC.

>> No.68242034

>>68241912
You're still incorrect. A kernel is an essential part of an operating system unless it's a monolithic kernel, which is the operating system. Something cannot be a part of something if it's the whole thing. You can't just eat a part of a pizza if you eat the whole thing. To be honest it's a bit frustrating how everything needs to be explained to you like you're five years old. I stand by my claim that including the word "monolithic" is essential since you're constantly making the same error. It helps to understand and minimizes confusion that has a very high possibility to happen, so it's basically essential unless the speaker knows their stuff. This means you personally should definitely keep the word "monolithic" in there.

>> No.68242138

>>68242034
>You're still incorrect.
No, you are incorrect.
>A kernel is an essential part of an operating system unless it's a monolithic kernel, which is the operating system.
No, that is just a property of a monolithic kernel. It handles the function of an operating system, but is not an operating system unto itself. It would be helpful for you to read this.
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.en.html

You seem to have a strange desire to be condescending when you really don't know what you're talking about. It's cute. I like seeing the vigor of new users, who are still learning. But your angst seems to get in the way of you being able to have a proper discussion.
>I stand by my claim that including the word "monolithic" is essential
Try this. Is the statement "Linux is a kernel" true? If yes, then adding monolithic is not essential. Essential means that it can not be true without it, remember.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action