Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 193 KB, 712x1435, intel_vs_amd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831414 No.67831414 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Why do intel processors consume so much power compared to AMD ones despite having fewer cores? I was somewhat impressed by the i7-8700K FPS in games but then noticed it consumes ~50% more power than an 8-core 2700X AMD. Why is that so?

>> No.67831455

>>67831414
Ryzen is simply more efficient at lower clock speeds. Intel hits high clock speeds to get those FPS, but due to the log nature of power consumption to clock speed, it ends up being a power hog. On the other hand it's difficult, if not impossible to hit those clocks on Ryzen.

>> No.67831477
File: 375 KB, 488x710, 1507390466500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831477

>Another avx bench to show power consumption when amd doesnt even support avx512
Pathetic

>> No.67831483

>>67831414
power consumption doesn't matter.

>> No.67831498

>>67831477
because those workloads belong on a gpu.

>> No.67831501

Because intel implementation of AVX2 using 256 bit blocks is much more efficient than Ryzen's. Despite drawing 50% more power, it performs calculations more than 50% faster.

>> No.67831520

>>67831498
Then stop posting them

>> No.67831524

>>67831477
The 8700K doesn't support AVX-512 either, you stupid piece of shit.

>> No.67831539
File: 106 KB, 640x775, 1522437223026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831539

>>67831455
>>67831477
>>67831498
>>67831501
>>67831520

But why isn't that balanced out by having less cores. This is very worrying especially since intel's 2 core i3s consume more than AMD's older 8-core zens. That's batfuck insane.

3.7 GHz 8c16t R7 1700: ~85W
3.9 GHz 2c4t i3 7100: ~91W

>> No.67831548

its because they do more shit at the same time.

>> No.67831551

>>67831539
>But why isn't that balanced out by having less cores

>Because intel implementation of AVX2 using 256 bit blocks is much more efficient than Ryzen's. Despite drawing 50% more power, it performs calculations more than 50% faster.

TLDR 1 Intel core performs the work of 2 Ryzen cores when AVX2 workloads are concerned for 150% of power of 1 Ryzen core.

>> No.67831561

>>67831551
That's fucking crazy man, I was expecting intel's dual-cores to be like 35W max at 4 GHz by now.

>> No.67831569

>>67831561
You can make a 8700k consume 35w tops by undervolting and underclocking.

>> No.67831586
File: 69 KB, 775x837, 1478201807359.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831586

>>67831551
That still honestly doesn't explain how 2 intel cores consume more power than 8 fucking AMD ones at similar clocks. What the fuck is a dual-core i3 doing with 91W of power?

>> No.67831596

>>67831586
What matters is performance by watt. If it's better, then what's bothering you?

>> No.67831600

>>67831414
22nm vs 7nm

>> No.67831616
File: 324 KB, 882x758, 1506977173618.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831616

>>67831414
PLEASE DELID DIS

>> No.67831635

>>67831586
>>67831414
You measure performance per watt. Not watts per core. Idiots

Prime95 causes higher power consumption on intel but it also calculates the numbers faster

>> No.67831637

>>67831596
Well it just doesn't add up is all. AMD has done some black magic grade shit to use less power than intel's i3s while giving you moar coars.

>> No.67831650

>>67831569
>35w tops by undervolting and underclocking
yeah just underclock it to 2ghz, amd btfo

>> No.67831653

>>67831586
It's quad core @ 4.0Ghz, dude

>> No.67831658

>>67831600
>7nm
??????????????

>> No.67831668

>>67831650
Around 3 ghz rather. Does AMD have 6 core CPUs that can clock as high whilst remaining under 35w? Thought so. At least they're cheap.

>> No.67831676

>>67831653
specsheat says otherwise, 2 physical cores with 4 logical threads

https://ark.intel.com/products/97455/Intel-Core-i3-7100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_90-GHz

>> No.67831677

Agner Fog already explained Zen core is aggressive at saving power due to its architectural design

>> No.67831688

>>67831668
lul

>>67831677
Under 100% load? Did AMD discover free energy?

>> No.67831693

>>67831668
proof of 8700k doing that?

>> No.67831713

>>67831676
Intel architecture is fucking garbage, there's your answer. Intelfags are in denial.

>> No.67831779

>>67831688
No, Zen core is smaller than Intel core, but the core has a bigger cache compared to Intel's.

>> No.67831812

>>67831477
But neither do current i7s, what's your point?

>> No.67831820

Anon this has always been the case. More, simpler cores on the same die space as fewer, more complex cores tends to use less power and dissipate less heat.

>> No.67831825

>>67831637
Moar coars but less pearformenz

>> No.67831828

>>67831637
The Ryzen is saving power quite aggressively. Unused units are clock gated, and the clock frequency is varying quite dramatically with the workload and the temperature. In my tests, I often saw a clock frequency as low as 8% of the nominal frequency in cases where disk access was the limiting factor, while the clock frequency could be as high as 114% of the nominal frequency after a very long sequence of CPU-intensive code.

>> No.67831850

>>67831414
1. Power doesn't scale linearly. Intel pushes their CPUs to the limits since kaby lake, they are basically shipping overclocked and operate well beyond specified TDP. AMD operates closer to optimal perf/power point.
2. Spare cores don't consume much power if they are not used (and games don't usually scale past 2-4 threads).

>> No.67831892
File: 424 KB, 480x270, 1383270654253.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831892

>>67831477
lmao you just played yourself because that graph shows an avx-512©®™ chip and it's drawing 230 FUCKING WATTS.

10c20t @ 4.5 GHz i7-7900X: 230W
16c32t @ 4 GHz TR 1950X: just 180W

Jesus christ intel, what the FUCK are you doing?

>> No.67831905

>>67831668
lmao you wish, at 2.4GHz Intel already consumes 35W
https://ark.intel.com/products/129948/Intel-Core-i7-8700T-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

>> No.67831930
File: 49 KB, 500x970, perfrel_2560_1440.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831930

>>67831825
Really? Because even in gaming it seems to curb stomp 90% of intel chips out there.

>inb4 720p benchmarks

>> No.67831936

>>67831551
>intel's avx2 implementation is more efficient because it is a bigger number than AMD.
You absolute mongoloid. How many times do I have to point out that zen combines two avx instr for single cycle 256 while being more efficient than intel due to better utulisation

>> No.67831952

>>67831820
You might ask why, then, are GPUs so power hungry but GPUs have Xbox hueg processors.

>> No.67831969
File: 72 KB, 1280x720, 141231231232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67831969

>>67831905
WTF

>> No.67831983

>>67831905
Knowing intel that 35W TDP means at least 45W real world power consumption.

>> No.67831998

>>67831983
NO SHUT UP

>> No.67832043

>>67831905
>>67831969
Ryzen 2700u consumes roughly 15W at 2.2GHz

>> No.67832073

>>67832043
NOW IMAGINE ZEN CORE ON 7NM

>> No.67832099

>>67831477
Only the 7900x and 7800x variant has AVX512.

>> No.67832125
File: 176 KB, 442x434, your_off_ya_chops_mate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67832125

>>67831892
>>67832073
>>67832099
Meanwhile incel is putting avx-512 housefires on their coffinlake CPUs. Dis gon be gud!

>"Cannon Lake CPUs are the first mainstream CPUs to include theAVX-512instruction set."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon_Lake_(microarchitecture)

>> No.67832127

>>67832073
Yeah, its going to be epyc :^)

>> No.67832174
File: 13 KB, 1286x144, 1538131065561.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67832174

>>67831477
Yeah why doesn't AMD support housefire MEME-512?

>> No.67832209

>>67831414
BASED 2200g

>> No.67832239

>>67832125
>Cannon Lake
actual dual-core abortions

>> No.67832304

>>67831414
>originally got i3's with like 30W TDP
>even the i7 3770 is 77W
>Intel regressed SO HARD an i3 is now >90W
God damnit. No wonder they're shilling improved wifi or instruction sets nobody uses. Can't wait until new laptops are delayed because the chipsets don't support USB 3.1 or SATA III or some shit

>> No.67832511

>>67832239
will cannon lake be 22nm
idgaf as im swiching to amd

>> No.67832740

>>67831477
Isn't that the reason why i9s use 300-500W of juice?

>> No.67833346

>>67832174
DELID DIS

>> No.67833389

>>67831477
Another autistic intelshitter thinking the 8700k has avx512

>> No.67833734

>>67831930
>R7 2700X OC 4.2 GHz losing against a tiny i3 at 4.0GHz.
KEK

>> No.67833802

>>67833734
newfag

>> No.67833885

>>67833802
>2003
>newfag

Try harder.

>> No.67835199
File: 44 KB, 672x794, 1537909679835.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
67835199

How insane is 64 core Rome going to be?

>> No.67835233

>>67835199
40k+ easy.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action