Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 565 KB, 975x1357, linus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
66898268 No.66898268 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

>Tivo uses the linux kernel to power their boxes
>Later versions use a digital signature that won't boot if the software is modified despite being GPLv2 licensed.
>GPLv3 includes a portion of the license to stop what it calls as tivoization
>Linus has this to comment on it
Stallman calls it "tivoization", but that's a word he has made up, and a term I find offensive, so I don't choose to use it. It's offensive because Tivo never did anything wrong, and the FSF even acknowledged that. The fact that they do their hardware and have some DRM issues with the content producers and thus want to protect the integrity of that hardware. The kernel license covers the *kernel*. It does not cover boot loaders and hardware, and as far as I'm concerned, people who make their own hardware can design them any which way they want. Whether that means "booting only a specific kernel" or "sharks with lasers", I don't care.
Well /g/? Is linus right and stallman was wrong? Or was stallman right?

>> No.66898291

>using code tags to quote

>> No.66898324

>Stallman calls it "tivoization", but that's a word he has made up, and a term I find offensive, so I don't choose to use it. It's offensive because Tivo never did anything wrong, and the FSF even acknowledged that. The fact that they do their hardware and have some DRM issues with the content producers and thus want to protect the integrity of that hardware. The kernel license covers the *kernel*. It does not cover boot loaders and hardware, and as far as I'm concerned, people who make their own hardware can design them any which way they want. Whether that means "booting only a specific kernel" or "sharks with lasers", I don't care.

In case anyone wants to actually read the quote.

>> No.66898450

That's why Linux stuck with GPLv2, so his kernel wouldn't get locked out of "Tivoized" devices.
https://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/linux-and-unix/news/240080/does-linus-torvalds-hate-freedom
Read if you want Stallman's argument, and the editorial opinion.

>> No.66898464

>>66898450
:s/Linux/Linus

>> No.66898470

>>66898268
I don't get it. What's the point of free software if users aren't allowed to modify it??

>> No.66898516

>>66898324
He has the right idea, because without that.. the project would be dead
using it for commercial purposes is good, and if tivo makes an update or fixes any issues, the linux foundation can see and either learn & implement or ignore it.
if you have nazi license like BSD you'll never know if anyone fixed shit and be required proprietary blobs all over
if you have stallman license nobody will use it

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action