Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 45 KB, 633x586, 1504727922518.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62961800 No.62961800 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

>2017
>Doesn't use C++

Are you bullied, mentally handicapped or both?

>b-but it causes bad practice!

And? Was life a contest about who uses the least design patterns?

>it's slow!!!

It's not, as long as you're not under-aged and use classes in moderation

>it's....IT'S CONVOLUTED!!!

Who forces you to use every feature, fucking peat-gavel

>> No.62961804

>>62961800
is there a good IDE for C++?
One like Lazarus

>> No.62961817

>>62961800
So what you're REALLY saying that there's no actual reason to use C++.

>> No.62961821

>>62961800
I hate C++'s build tools. That being said, C++ is quite easy to work with, in comparison to Rust, which has a very good set of build tools.

It's a dillema but I guess C++ wins.

>> No.62961965

>>62961800
>that one guy that posts laughing Dana White maymays about smoking and shitty coding

What form of autism is this?

>> No.62961978

>>62961800
Honest question here, how do I return a string from a function?

>> No.62962002

>>62961804
vim + make + DDD + valgrind

>> No.62962021

>>62961965
>t. manchild

>> No.62962032

>>62961800
>C++ is slow
but it's not
well, it means i'll start smoking!

>> No.62962035

>>it's slow!!!
Don't think there's anyone out there that claims C++ is slow.

>> No.62962049

>>62961978
By returning a string. C++ has this quite convenient class called "string", FYI.

>> No.62962060

>>62961804
Clion

>> No.62962136

>>62961965
It's a meme from a finnish messageboard "ylilauta". Finns are widely considered to be sub-human.

>> No.62962365

>>62962002
I said ONE like Lazarus. Not four like bits of lazarus
>>62962060
no GUI, buttons, listboxes and shit?

>> No.62962381

>>62962035
Only ignorant cniles.

>> No.62962395

>>62962381
>t. sepples brainlet

>> No.62962428

>>62962395
See? Ignorance.

>> No.62962491

>>62962428
What are you talking about? you never even made a point in the first place.
I was just stating the fact that, if you seriously believe C++ compiles as fast as C, then you are a brainlet, which is true.

>> No.62962499

>>62962491
Oh, you were talking about compilation times? Yeah, we're in agreement there.

>> No.62962594

Im using it you stupid nigger

>> No.62962622

>>62962594
>t. poojeet

>> No.62962670

>>62962365
>no GUI, buttons, listboxes and shit?

fuck off faggot. new C++ standards are literally designed that you definitely need an IDE with an intellisense to be able to write faster.

>> No.62962682

>>62962670
This. Languages like Java, C, C# and C++ make you depend on an IDE

>> No.62962819

>>62962682
especially with the "auto" keyword. enjoy deducing the types manually, or typing std::map<std::pair<lmao, lmao2>, std::map<std::set<aaa>, b>> b;

>> No.62962825

>>62962682
how to make gui then?

>> No.62962836

>>62962819
>not having properly scoped using declarations
Pleb

>> No.62962899

>>62961804

code::blocks

>>62961821
can you clarify how can build tools be bad or good? when was it a problem to build?

>> No.62962948

>>62961804
>One like Lazarus
QtCreator is your only choice.

Everthing else and in particular code::blocks is like a crack meth whore version of Lazarus.

>> No.62962980
File: 1.40 MB, 1920x1080, ssr4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62962980

>>62961800
C is better.

>> No.62963017
File: 33 KB, 576x507, 1508258676237.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963017

>>62962980
>c is better
>i made a cube and a torus in opengl once, so i'm clearly an authority

>> No.62963021

>>62962980
C++ is a whacked up car.
C is a whacked up car with the still working radio stolen.

>> No.62963022
File: 1.26 MB, 1920x1080, ssr3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963022

>>62963017
It's a game.

>> No.62963031

>>62963017
Also
>all those files that are failing to load

>> No.62963039

>>62963021
what a retarded analogy

>> No.62963040

>>62963022
>a tiny scene made of simple primitives
>look ma, i made a game

>> No.62963061

>>62963039
Almost as retarded as claiming C is better.
>>62963040
Don't make fun of him, he is clearly the 3D artist of the project.

>> No.62963075

>>62963017
There isn't a single thing made by c++ in this thread. Just like real life. Sure the thread looks like it's c++ but then you open it up and it's just c.

>> No.62963077

>>62961800
Wtf? States it's good and immediately goes into damage control mode. OK you tried

>> No.62963083
File: 2.10 MB, 1920x1080, ssr2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963083

>>62963031
Not failing to load, the engine is searching for resources in the resource file, and checking if they exist. The output may be obscure.

>>62963040
It's not a tiny scene, and it's not made of simple primitives, you can load any model...

It has ssao, ssr, realtime area soft shadows, gjk collision detection, deferred shading.

>> No.62963095
File: 95 KB, 517x557, ccpp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963095

>>62963021
>>62963039
If you really want to make car analogies:

>> No.62963102

>>62961800
>And? Was life a contest about who uses the least design patterns?

hahahaha holy shit you can't make this shit up. C++ fags btfo.

>> No.62963104

>>62963075
We are simply not that insecure that we seek confirmation in fizzbuzz applications, like C apologists. Only in shitpost threads.

>> No.62963118

>>62963104
Must be boring waiting for your application to finish running huh? Of course you'd need something to do.

>> No.62963124

>>62963095
>C++ has a bunch of useless garbage attached to it
yeah, thats about right

>> No.62963128

>>62963075
>There isn't a single thing made by c++ in this thread. Just like real life
You mean except for actual games that are more than a camera flying around a scene made of 3D cubes?

>> No.62963132
File: 1.61 MB, 1920x1080, ssr5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963132

>>62963040
>look ma, i made a game
The thread isn't about this, but fuck it... it also has gameplay, it's a remake of armorgames' shift in 3D. The gameplay footage I have was on a previous version that only ran on windows and was actually made from ogl primitives, but shows you it's not just a scene, but has gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiLzEhxt8-8

>> No.62963137

>>62963128
C is a programming language. C++ is a video game programming language

>> No.62963149

>>62963083
>It has ssao, ssr, realtime area soft shadows, gjk collision detection, deferred shading.
Cool story, but your screenshots honestly look like babby's first OpenGL project. Nothing there looks even remotely like a game, or even remotely visually impressive.

>> No.62963151

>>62963083
>It's not a tiny scene
It's a tiny scene
>It has ssao, ssr, realtime area soft shadows, gjk collision detection, deferred shading.
Nice, so the most work is done in shaders anyway and the rest could have been cut down to 1/10 of the work in C++ and be more reliable

>> No.62963156

>>62963128
I guarantee all the important shit in any game engine written in c++ is just c. If not then it'll run like garbage and wouldn't be a mainstream engine.

>> No.62963167

>>62963156
>I guarantee
I guarantee the opposite of what you guarantee, which obviously overrides what you said. Now what?

>> No.62963177

>>62963095
>on the top: a slow car with fragile tires that will break on modern roads and won't run with modern petrol, you better hope the engine doesn't blow up
>on the bottom: a fast, normal car decorated with fancy guns and a proper windscreen
seems about right

>> No.62963182

>>62963167
As expected of the c++ cuck, has to take other peoples work and add to it instead of making it themselves.

>> No.62963190

>>62963156
>A (practical) superset of C contains a lot of C
Stop the presses.

>> No.62963207

The amount of playground level arguing in this thread is astronomic.
only insecure programmers, who have no accomplishments of their own bother with "MY LANGUAGE IS BETTER THAN YOURS XDD" shit. Grow up

>> No.62963214
File: 6 KB, 200x200, my-sides.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963214

>>62963177
>on the bottom: a fast, normal car decorated with fancy guns and a proper windscreen
>this is how pluslets actually see it

>> No.62963220

>>62963149
Because of the way the mesh is generated so the solids are air on the other side, it can't be made of cubes, and because of the movable cubes, the mesh has to be be generated over and over. Most of what is done there can't be seen in those screens, so I understand what you're saying. But placing more complex models is really simple.

>remotely visually impressive
What would you say is a modern AAA visual effect that makes a game impressive? What makes most games impressive nowadays is ssr and hdr, I'm not an artist, I'm a programmer, the tools are there.

>>62963156
I want to compare binary size with any engine you show me in C++ with those features. Plus auto-exposure adjustment, bloom and other post-processes.

>> No.62963222

>>62963177
>decorated with fancy guns
only a sepplet would mistake useless cardboard for actual features

>> No.62963252

>>62963207
My language is better than yours. Only insecure "programmers" who know nothing besides Java barge into glorious language threads just to tell everyone how much better they are for failing to participate. Protip: you can't fool anyone that you have better things to do with your time and "skills" when you're shitposting on /g/.

>> No.62963255

>>62963214
>>62963222
I get the impression you're just samefagging because you're jelly that your car hasn't fancy paper guns.

>> No.62963276

>>62963220
>I understand what you're saying
But you don't. What I'm saying is that I could also post a turd and then claim it's the pinnacle of dynamic lighting and advanced shader effects, or even add some basic collision detection and fall damage and call it a game. It looks like shit graphically, and it barely has any gameplay.

>> No.62963309

>>62963276
This. I wished he would have frogposted instead, because that would have been a bigger accomplishment.

>> No.62963330

>>62963276
>barely has any gameplay
What do you mean?

>basic collision detection and fall damage
What are you talking about? My game has no fall damage, it's a puzzle game. Basic collision detection? If you call gjk basic, you sound like you have never implemented it or really have no idea what you're talking about. dunning kruger probably.

>pinnacle of dynamic lighting and advanced shader effects
You're just throwing insults without actually saying what is wrong. Tell me what the pinnacle of dynamic lighting is in your opinion. I'm not contradicting you or defending myself, I want your honest opinion.

>> No.62963351

>>62961800
It's forced by shitty OP-kuns on 4chan.

>> No.62963373
File: 259 KB, 1280x1185, 1472853815716.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963373

>>62961800
I don't program for any current systems.
I use 6502, 80186 and m68k assembly.

>> No.62963383

>>62963330
>I'm not contradicting you or defending myself, I want your honest opinion.
Not that guy, but turn down the reflections and add proper light maps.

>> No.62963404
File: 105 KB, 828x134, gsucks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963404

>All those people shitting on a guy working on his game just because.
Current state of /g/.

>> No.62963436

>>62963383
Those screens were when I had just implemented them and was still debugging if they were correct, I plan to go full PBR, which will blur all the reflections to a realistic amount. Light maps would not work because the lights are dynamic and move from one side to the other when you press shift. I could cache radiosity maps, but they would have to be re-cached when the mesh changes when you push a block, I don't see any optimized way of doing this.

Thank you for the input though.

>> No.62963437

>>62963252
>t. python langlet

>> No.62963453

>>62963404
I kind of doubt the second line.
Even /diy/, by far the best board, is hits and misses.

Also
>bringing your game dev hello world into a programming language flame war in hope for bragging rights

>> No.62963473

>>62963330
>What do you mean?
I mean it barely passes as a game. I don't see any non-trivial gameplay mechanics.

>If you call gjk basic
I could also post some turd where you jump on cubes and say it implements GJK (as if that's supposed to be somehow impressive, but I digress).

>You're just throwing insults without actually saying what is wrong
Your screenshots and videos look like babby's first game engine attempt. They simply don't look impressive. You can spout as many buzzwords as you like, and say your cubes are shaded by real-time radiosity with subpixel accuracy, but there's no evidence there of anything more sophisticated than parallax mapping.

>> No.62963480

>>62963453
>>bringing your game dev hello world into a programming language flame war in hope for bragging rights
Not an argument.
/g/ is just full of sad bitter fucks.

>> No.62963505

>>62963404
>All those people shitting on a guy working on his game just because.
It's a matter of context. When he's posting this turd and trying to imply that it's somehow evidence that he's an expert programmer and that his opinion about programming languages should be given extra weight, I will point out that it looks like the average beginner's turd, because it really does.

>> No.62963516

>>62963436
Not sure light map was the correct term, since they all sound the same and have different meanings in different context.
I mean the greyscale map that just says how much reflection happens on which part of the surface. Not a precalculated light.

>> No.62963527

>>62963516
>I mean the greyscale map that just says how much reflection happens on which part of the surface.
That's called a specular map.

>> No.62963542

>>62963480
So whenever you go to /biz/ you brag with your lemonade stand?

>> No.62963560

>>62963542
Not an argument, shit analogy.
The way you got defensive about it just proves the point.

>> No.62963567

>>62963527
I mean reflection of light, not general mirroring.

>> No.62963571
File: 197 KB, 294x256, mfw-this-shit-again.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963571

>>62963560
Guess what, fucktard? "Not an argument" is literally not an argument.

>> No.62963584

>>62963404
To be fair, I did start by saying C is better when posting a screen of the game.

>>62963453
I didn't want to brag though, it's just a project that makes me happy, and I'm feel really comfy when programming it. I know I didn't say any of this, but it's my thoughts on the matter, sorry.

>>62963473
>I mean it barely passes as a game. I don't see any non-trivial gameplay mechanics.
It's a puzzle game, the simpler the mechanics, the better the puzzles. I think if you'd actually played it, you'd have to stop and think how to solve things, and be somewhat gratified when you did. Or maybe it's just not your type of game.

>Your screenshots and videos look like babby's first game engine attempt. They simply don't look impressive. You can spout as many buzzwords as you like, and say your cubes are shaded by real-time radiosity with subpixel accuracy, but there's no evidence there of anything more sophisticated than parallax mapping.
You sound like you actually don't know anything that goes into developing engines... I could say the exact same thing while looking at the blog describing how doom is shaded. All that matters for me is if the tools are there, using them to make something pretty is a designer's job. This is a thread about programming. And so far, you haven't said what is it that it's lacking on that department.

>>62963516
I have a specular map, the alpha represents roughness, the higher it is, the more blurry the reflection gets. The darker the specular map is, the darker the reflections will be, is that what you meant?

>> No.62963587

>>62963560
Sure thing, buddy.
In reality, your just assmad because it's a good analogy because >>62963505 is right.

>> No.62963591

>>62963571
No need for one. You already proved the point.
Also that other faggot that went full defensive.

>> No.62963596

>>62963567
>I mean reflection of light, not general mirroring.
Yes, those reflections of light are called specular highlights, and the map you're talking about is called a specular map.

>> No.62963600

>>62963132
Cool game. I can see the shift mechanic being a pukefest though and I'm usually pretty tolerant to motion sickness.

>> No.62963609

>>62963587
>buddy
Nice try. We already accomplished that everybody getting butthurt about the "state of /g/" post is a fuckup bitter fool.
Keep trying though, "kiddo".

>> No.62963620

>>62963600
It's probably because it's someone else controlling it, or I'm used to it... Maybe if you were playing you would be prepared when it happens.

I have no idea how this could be fixed though, I thought of maybe adding motion blur, but that may make it worse...

>> No.62963638

>>62963584
>the simpler the mechanics, the better the puzzles
Nice subjectivist "argument", but the point is that there aren't any complex gameplay mechanics there that imply high programming competence.

>You sound like you actually don't know anything that goes into developing engines...
You sound like you unironically believe that your babby-tier engine will impress anyone who's ever developed a serious engine, and it's cute.

> All that matters for me is if the tools are there, using them to make something pretty is a designer's job
Too bad there's nothing in your screenshots or videos that constitutes clear evidence of any advanced lighting techniques. Where does this delusion come from that people on the internet are going to just take your word for it when all they see is a turd?

>> No.62963648

>>62963584
>I have a specular map, the alpha represents roughness, the higher it is, the more blurry the reflection gets. The darker the specular map is, the darker the reflections will be, is that what you meant?
Basically, but it still looks way too strong. Or the map data is kind of crap. Anyway, as long as the blur doesn't result in some weird-ass fake corona...
>>62963596
I heard at least three different names for those kind of thing and there's no indication that (You)r variation is right.

>> No.62963664

>>62963609
Because you delivered such a good argument to begin with.

>> No.62963678

>replying to röökiposting

>> No.62963685

>>62963648
>I heard at least three different names for those kind of thing
What are they? The only "variation" you gave so far is "lightmap", and nobody calls it that, so I'm getting a feeling you're a brainlet with no clue of what you're talking about.

>there's no indication that (You)r variation is right
It's called a specular map. Maybe some people refer to it by other names as well (only retards call it a lightmap, though), but "specular map" is fairly standard. I'm not here to argue this with you. I'm just telling it for your education, so that you don't sound like a fucktard next time calling it a lightmap. You're welcome.

>> No.62963692

>>62963678
>röökiposting
What did it mean by this?

>> No.62963706

>>62963620
I'm also pretty sure it's mainly due to watching a video of it, especially one where you're pretty much speedrunning it. A friend of mine (who is quite prone to motion sickness already) experienced the same thing to an extreme degree when he had a VR headset on and I started controlling the player character.

>> No.62963730

>>62963638
>imply high programming competence
The mechanics make it so I can't just import cubes... the mesh has to be generated, and I am not implying that is "ULTRA HARD", but it probably wouldn't be "babbys first game".

>You sound like you unironically believe that your babby-tier engine will impress anyone who's ever developed a serious engine, and it's cute.
Show me one engine developed by one single person. I can name you one, Anki, and it does have more features than mine, it has lens flares, parallax mapping, decals, volumetric light and probably more that I can't think about right now. He did start developing much earlier than I, and adding those visuals one by one. Though probably if he showed you pictures of particular effects you would dismiss them as well. Most engines though are not developed by single people, there is really a lot of work that goes into it.

>Too bad there's nothing in your screenshots or videos that constitutes clear evidence of any advanced lighting techniques.
Give me one, ONE example of a technique you would call "advanced lighting technique', please, one.

>>62963648
It is too strong, I agree with you.

>> No.62963750

>>62963692
fucking peat-gavel

>> No.62963831

>>62963730
>The mechanics make it so I can't just import cubes... the mesh has to be generated, and I am not implying that is "ULTRA HARD", but it probably wouldn't be "babbys first game".
Tell me what part of your map geometry requires GJK and can't be collided against in a 20 years old game engine that uses convex brushes and sweeps bounding boxes through a BSP tree for collisions. Actually, just tell me what part of your video constitutes clear evidence of any advanced technique. (Protip: saying you used the state of the art algorithms to implement collision with cubes and those ugly static blobs you call "shadows", but it just isn't visible because there's no art, makes you as good as a lying fizzbuzzer in my book.)

>> No.62963860

>>62963638
I have to wonder what percentage of people have had a part in developing a "serious engine". Even more so what percentage of them browses /g/.

I'm not proposing that /g/ should be a hugbox where any project gets complimented so as to not hurt the poster's feelings (although feedback should be constructive if possible). Based on what I've seen on /g/ over the years though, the overall level of the board isn't anything stellar. No offense to FizzBuzz posters or to anyone participating in the Game of Life thread, those are fun little challenges.

>> No.62963878

>>62963860
>what percentage of them browses /g/.
Zero. I've never developed a "serious engine", but my toys sure looked more impressive than this clown's.

>> No.62963890

>>62963831
>Tell me what part of your map geometry requires GJK and can't be collided against
I'm not using GJK on those scenes, it was implemented because I wanted to have it ready, since the levels are in a grid, I just use some simple checks to see if you collide with it or not.

>constitutes clear evidence of any advanced technique
Again you failed to answer my question. I don't know what you mean by "advanced technique". Give me one example of what you would call an "advanced lighting technique", if it's something that's viable and used in modern games, I will take it as a suggestion of something to add.

The shadows are not static, and they're actually pretty close to reality in the way they blur out. It's actually faster than any implementation of realtime area soft shadows I've read on nvidia papers.

>> No.62963899

>>62962670
>>62962682

Are you stupid or retarded? All these languages except for C# can comfortably be used through a text editor alone.

>> No.62963909

>>62963075
You are viewing the thread in something written in C++.

>> No.62963920

>>62963890
>Give me one example of what you would call an "advanced lighting technique"
I could give you 10, but you're just deflecting. I'm merely asking you to tell me what part of the video or screenshot unambiguously illustrates whatever YOU consider to be so advanced, because all I see are ugly blobs that can be achieved in a variety of ways. You literally can't, can you? Just like you can't give any evidence that your engine implements GJK.

>> No.62963923

>>62963022
That looks sweet, how would I go making something like this in C++ or C? What libraries did you use?

>> No.62963968

>>62963899
>java
import com.companyname.java.interfaces.package.impl.tools.v1.NopeFactory;

>> No.62963972
File: 86 KB, 1184x296, shitty-blobs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62963972

>>62963890
Dude, this is a fucking joke. Do you even know what a shadow is supposed to look like? Have you ever been outside?

>> No.62963989

>>62963878
>Zero. I've never developed a "serious engine", but my toys sure looked more impressive than this clown's.
Like I suspected... if I were to implement all of the tools used in Doom, you would still not be impressed because I'm not an artist... What are you doing in a technology board?

>>62963920
Deferred SSR, SSAO and auto exposure, I wouldn't say are "advanced", but they are the state of the art in rendering. Anyone who knows about the tech that goes into the games they play would see the screen-space reflections, and recognize it. It's what gives realism to most recent games. You have actually no technical knowledge on the topic which means I've been basically wasting my time. Unless you care to tell me what technique you were actually expecting to see.

>>62963923
I use SDL plus GLEW in C, because it's what I take most pleasure in using, but if you're used to C++, you get some useful tools that you won't have to create from scratch or use an external library.

>>62963972
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's the fucking old version, that was to show gameplay, the screens are what I was talking about. Fuck man, you exposed your troll too late, good one though.

>> No.62963992

>>62963968
>autocomplete doesn't exist

>> No.62963998

>>62963972
>>62963132
Compare those two. LMAO.

The ones in the video weren't even using shaders, it's just the color vertex information manually darkening corners... Fuck man, I thought you were less retarded than this.

>> No.62964004

>>62963992
you still have to type that shit out at least once for every class you import

>> No.62964012

>>62963992
Is there an autocomplete for reading? Cause I ain't reading shit that long.

>> No.62964021

>>62963989
Nice, I too was thinking about developing my first 3D application. I'm not an OOPfag, but I still think I'm gonna use C++. Even simple features like STL containers and pass-by-reference can make your life easier.
Not shitting on C tho, it is still the best choice in embedded systems, mainly because of the small binaries produced.

>> No.62964049

>>62964012
>he reads imports

>> No.62964071

>>62963989
>Like I suspected...
Don't get me wrong, my toy projects were like Crytek 6 compared to your babby engine, but I still wouldn't call them serious compared to the actual state of the art, because I'm not a delusional kid like you.

>if I were to implement all of the tools used in Doom
You might as well say that, since you will never provide a shred of evidence for anything non-trivial. All you have is an ugly turd made of cubes and static blob shadows. I'm giving you one last chance to provide unambiguous evidence for whatever it is that you consider so advanced. Your ugly low-res turds with blob shadows full of artifacts can be achieved in a variety of ways, none of which are hard.

>> No.62964099
File: 245 KB, 1311x708, ugly-blob.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62964099

>>62963998
>Compare those two
Oh, boy. The sheer realism of those grainy static blobs! State of the art, indeed.

>> No.62964134

>>62963923
I misunderstood your question, sorry.

I'm using an entity-component-system to define what exists in a scene, with events for updating things.

As to rendering, there is the rendering system, which will go through all entities which have a model component (mesh and material), and render it to a g-buffer, then, for each light there is a phong shader pass, then re-render the g-buffer for transparent objects, then an ssao pass, then a transparent pass, then the reflection pass.

When the reflection hit's outside of the phong+ssao pass, it falls back to a dynamic cube map of the scene.

It's a whole world rendering all that, and I can't be very specific here.

>>62964071
>Don't get me wrong, my toy projects were like Crytek 6 compared to your babby engine, but I still wouldn't call them serious compared to the actual state of the art, because I'm not a delusional kid like you.
You just said you have no knowledge of building engines, what are you talking about?

>>62964099
>The sheer realism of those grainy static blobs!
Fucking FINALLY, valid criticism, the SSAO is grainy, and I should be using a smart blur filter on top of it, It just wasn't on the top of my priorities. Thank you for actually saying something specific that is actually wrong and should be fixed.

>> No.62964198

>>62962948
I love QtCreator for editing but trying to get it to compile when you're linking against static libraries or changing the compiler from anything other than what was autodetected is damn near impossible. I use it for editing when I can get it to correctly detect include paths, and generally run the compiler separately with a makefile.

Damn I love the Qt IDE though.

>> No.62964233

>>62964049
Not imports, that language is verbose as fuck in everything.

>> No.62964248

>>62964233
I wholeheartedly agree, that doesn't mean you must use an IDE. Vim alone has served me well even for Java.

>> No.62964266

>>62964248
VIM has java autocompletion, and auto-imports. Used it once for a course.

>> No.62964269

>>62964134
>You just said you have no knowledge of building engines, what are you talking about?
I said I never took part in developing a serious engine ("serious" meaning industry-strength, something that would be licensed by a big company to develop a triple-A title). I also made it clear that my non-serious engines looked pretty serious compared to your toy. Is the meaning of this so difficult for you to process because you're an autistic kid?

>Fucking FINALLY, valid criticism
Fucking FINALLY, some kind of evidence of any advanced (according to you) rendering technique. Oh, wait... You've failed to provide any for the dozenth time. Nice early 2000's blob shadows, kid. And stick to C.

>> No.62964297

>>62964269
>sepplet kiddie bitter at C programmers
imagine my shock

>> No.62964302

>>62963132

How long did it take you to complete it?

>> No.62964304

>>62964269
>Fucking FINALLY, some kind of evidence of any advanced (according to you) rendering technique. Oh, wait... You've failed to provide any for the dozenth time. Nice early 2000's blob shadows, kid. And stick to C.
Early 2000? It's SSAO, and dynamic soft shadows, I'm done.

>> No.62964335

>>62964302
The original one was for a project, took about one month, it has some things that aren't seen in the video like a level editor and was planning network connection to share levels. The new one, I've been working on it, slowly adding modern graphic techniques and I've been doing it for about one year.

>> No.62964338

>>62964304

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO COMPLETE IT PLS ANSWER ME

>> No.62964348

>>62964335
Whoops my bad. Ignore the question

>> No.62964365
File: 55 KB, 747x537, ssao-dynamic-soft-shadows.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62964365

>>62964304
Rate my engine: it has subpixel-accuracy realtime radiosity, soft shadows and RNN-based NPR rendering. It runs at 1300 fps. It's literally better than Doom. I just need some good artist to make the power of this professional engine really shine.

>> No.62964381

>>62964365

HAhahahaha
>.png
HMMMMM

>> No.62964387
File: 1.51 MB, 1920x1080, ssr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62964387

>>62964365
I love you m8, never change. Not even mad I lost all of this time responding to you, you deserve it.

By the way, add some reflections.

>> No.62964438

>>62964365
By the way, I wrote it in PHP. Strong typing shills BTFO.

>> No.62964469

>>62964438
The screens I took were at 66% resolution, yours has subpixel-accuracy, I have to bow down. Even though those shadows don't look like area shadows... wait... did you fake this? Will it get a graphical downgrade on release?

>> No.62964501

Noob here, in college have only coded in java. Is c++ used in real life? Like in the job world? Debating taking a class on it next semester, not sure if it's worth to get into?

>> No.62964508

>>62964501
you can get paid a lot fixing C++ fuckups. but it might make you want to kill yourself

>> No.62965805

Classes in C++ aren't slow. They're just structs with all members defaulted to private.

>> No.62965847

>>62964387
Not related at all, but are you using i3? How do you make your status bar transparent? Looks great.

>> No.62965854

>>62962049
Doesn't work

>> No.62965892

>>62965805
Virtual functions and polymorphism are slow. Due to C++'s retarded OOP model, just having virtual functions bloats your objects even if you don't use them.

>> No.62965894

>>62964501
If you are on this website on a PC, you are using something written in C++.

>> No.62965916

>>62965892
It's no less bloat than what you would get if you implemented a similar functionality yourself in C.

>> No.62965920
File: 1.05 MB, 1203x1131, help.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
62965920

Why is this autistic screaming so hard over someone else's project while posting nothing of his own?
I haven't made anything half as impressive in openGL

Is this autistic from /v/
You don't get to shit on someone else's work with no proof on your end that you know what you're talking about

>> No.62965933

>>62965916
Rust and Go both use itable pointers instead of vtable pointers which don't have this problem. If C++ had a better type system, it could have them too.

>> No.62965952

>>62965933
>implying it's the same thing

>> No.62967467

>>62965920
>You don't get to shit on someone else's work with no proof on your end that you know what you're talking about
What kind of expertise does one need to determine that it just looks like shit, anon?

>> No.62967550

Came across this today.

#define MOTOR_PWM(n) MOTOR ## n ## _PWM
#define MOTOR_DIR1(n) MOTOR ## n ## _DIR1
#define MOTOR_DIR2(n) MOTOR ## n ## _DIR2
#define MOTOR_FAULT(n) MOTOR ## n ## _FAULT
#define MOTOR_ENCA(n) MOTOR ## n ## _ENCA
#define MOTOR_ENCB(n) MOTOR ## n ## _ENCB

#define MOTOR_ENC_TICK(i) void motor ## i ## EncTick() { \
uint8_t enc_dir; \
motorEncNow[i] = MotorEncA[i]->read() | (MotorEncB[i]->read() << 1); \
enc_dir = (motorEncLast[i] & 1) ^ ((motorEncNow[i] & 2) >> 1); \
motorEncLast[i] = motorEncNow[i]; \
\
if (enc_dir & 1) motorTicks[i]++; \
else motorTicks[i]--; \
}

#define MOTOR_PID_TICK(i) void motor ## i ## PidTick() { \
motors[i].pid(motorTicks[i]); \
pc.printf("%d:", motorTicks[i]); \
motorTicks[i] = 0; \
}
#endif


Now, putting aside the bitwise hackery, is this prepocessor abuse? Or is it a completely legitimate use of it?
It ends up being used for only 3 motors.

>> No.62967660

>>62967550
what even is "abuse" of the preprocessor? if the preprocessor gets the job done then it gets the job done

>> No.62967678

>>62967550
>is this prepocessor abuse? Or is it a completely legitimate use of it?
Abuse, as far as I can tell. It looks like an attempt to manually implement function inlining.

>> No.62967700

>>62961800
>use classes in moderation
Classes do not incur a significant speed penalty, it's virtual functions that do.

>> No.62967703

>>62967678
Actually, it's not even that... I have no idea what the point of it is.

>> No.62967734

>>62965892
>just having virtual functions bloats your objects even if you don't use them.
By one whole pointer, for the vast majority of applications this doesn't matter in the slightest.

>> No.62967752

>>62965933
How is this better? (honest question)

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action