Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 119 KB, 1326x1095, gophermega.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51674691 No.51674691 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Is the Go Programming langauge the future?
Why should someone learn Go?

>> No.51674698

>>51674691
https://golang.org/

>> No.51674805
File: 205 KB, 766x831, 1449158824489.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51674805

no alice is

>> No.51674817

>>51674691
No.
No one should learn it.

>> No.51674820

>>51674691
vb.net
:^)

>> No.51674892

Does /g/ not like Go?

>> No.51674897

>Is the Go Programming langauge the future?

Maybe, maybe not.

>Why should someone learn Go?

You shouldn't, unless you have a specific use for it. Understand that Go was designed to be very easy to pick up, and that they've largely succeeded in this goal. Thus, there is no point in learning Go *in case* it becomes big, because if it does become big, you can quickly pick it up. It's not like C++ where it will take you ages to become skilled.

>> No.51674962

>>51674805
Alice is honestly one of the buggiest programs I've ever had the displeasure of using.
Not only that, but it's worse than Scratch for teaching "beginner" programming concepts.

>> No.51675002

>>51674691
Go is a good language to have in your arsenal. There are many domains where it is ill-suited, but I have uses it for many things and absolutely do recommend it.

>> No.51675040

>>51675002
To elaborate, you will most likely not build an AAA game in Go, but it is a good choice if you want to build an online scoreboard that will perform well enough to serve your entire community of 15000 daily players.

>> No.51675070

>>51675002
Go is the best language out there for building kernels or firmware on embedded platforms.

>> No.51675127

>>51675070
I'd do it if someone built a library to handle common devices and the x86 boot procedure, and patched the runtime to do automatic memory management on bare metal.

>> No.51675178

>>51674691
No, please stop spreading BS. No one wants to use a featureless language.

>> No.51675194
File: 66 KB, 625x626, bait1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51675194

>>51675070

>> No.51675340

the gopher reminds me of glenda

>> No.51675394

>>51674691
yes

why not

>> No.51675570

>>51675040
You will *never* build any game in Go at a place of employment, let alone a AAA one.

That said, why would you want to code games anyway?

>> No.51675597

>>51675040
>>51675570
Nevermind, I have autism and didn't read the second half of your post.

Yes.

>> No.51675603

It was designed to be a language of the immediate present while we wait for all the other candidates vying at being languages of the future to suck less or not open new frontiers in overengineering and PL design mistakes.

>> No.51675935

>>51675178
that's what the developers of PHP said. where is your god now?

>> No.51676031

> Can't segregate packages into distinct projects without adjusting environment variables
> Shit-tier OO support
> Standard library is missing basic, freshman-level shit
> Its one big selling point, concurrency, is possible in every fucking language.

Why does anyone pay attention to this shitfest?

>> No.51676042

>>51675603
keep telling yourself that lisp will ever be relevant

>> No.51676047

>>51676031
There's a reason it's OO support is shit tier. OO is shit tier.

>> No.51676060

>>51676031
>Shit-tier OO support

Inheritance based OO is deprecated. Go is doing it right.

>> No.51676070

>>51676047
Go back to your fizzbuzz implementations and leave people with work to do alone.

>> No.51676076

>>51676042
I don't understand how that relates to my post.

>> No.51676110

>>51676070
>implying Unix Linux and every piece of good software created before management started jerking eachother off over Objects is fizzbuzz
>implying jerking around with class hierarchies is 'work'

>> No.51676111

>>51674691
>s the Go Programming langauge the future?

Maybe.

>Why should someone learn Go?

Because there's a job at a company he wants to work at, with people he wants to work with, that -- for whatever reason -- requires Go.

There are exactly two reasons you should learn languages: to make money and for personal enrichment.

Is it sufficiently interesting to you and different enough to meaningfully expand your mind with regards to programming? If not, then it's not worth the latter. And right now, it sure doesn't look like the former is the case.

>> No.51676256

Why is ignoring the existence of the filesystem so prevalent in hipster languages?

>Go
>Python
>Ruby

Probably a shitload more. Why do these cunts need to impose their own dogma for organizing your code instead of just using the fucking filesystem?

>> No.51676343

>>51675340
Same creator

>> No.51676366

>>51676031
>So far in the past he finds a lot of OO bells and whistles more important than the concurrency primitives
What is this, 1995?

>> No.51676570

>>51676256
what the actual fuck are you talking about

>> No.51676684

>>51676060

Oh my God, no.

You don't fucking force paradigms on people. Mark my words, in five more years this "has-a is better than is-a" movement will be dead.

Here's the reality: different approaches for different applications. OOP, including polymorphic inheritance, works *brilliantly* for modeling some things, and *ANY* methodology is shit when you force it into everything.

All this opinionated language bullshit needs to fucking end. So tired of the freshly schooled hipsters and their pseudo-objective arguments that all boil down entirely to 1) fashion and 2) limited experience.

>> No.51676728

>>51676684
Guess Go was created by a bunch of hipsters, got it.

>> No.51676734

Rob Pike fucking bugs the shit out of me, so I have trouble getting behind anything he supports.
Plan9 seems cool, but these faggots don't give a fuck about freedom.
Is Go actually any good?

>> No.51676758

>>51674805
>that website

don't trust these people with technology

>> No.51676772

>>51676734
>but these faggots don't give a fuck about freedom.
That is a good thing.

>> No.51676809

>>51676772
>i share the planet with this person

>> No.51676887

>>51674691
Golang is shit, it's easily the worst language, with only Python being below it. It is literally a special ed version of C++. Golang was made by a UNIX kek who hates C++, Rob Pike, or as I like to call him, Knob Kike, is a nigger-retard, known for saying things like "C++ is too complex", a common muh feelings argument made by nigger retard codemonkies who are too dumb to understand anything useful. He also is known for saying that syntax highlighting is juvenile, probably to make him feel more mature and to avoid being thought of a manchild faggot bitch nigga. He hasn't even made any noteworthy accomplishments, just faggot autism.

Now, Golang has many many flaws; for starters, there really isn't any reason for it to exist, anything it brings to the table could've just been in C++, meaning that many many time was spent reinventing the wheel. What a waste of fucking time. Golang has syntax issues, it forces how you put curly braces, and removes semicolons. This is an obvious attempt do dumb down the language for the lowest common denominator. You can tell the Golang nigger brain is saying "ooga booga! C++ too hard! me no like C++! me like golang!". Also the logo is a faggot squirrel.

>> No.51676904

>>51676772
How do you rationalize oppression?

>> No.51676934
File: 40 KB, 625x626, baito.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51676934

>>51676887

>> No.51676938

>>51674691
What's the thing with Go?

I mean I've used to deploy some quick APIs and shit, and it just works.

I mean, does it encourages bad practices like Ruby or something like that?

>> No.51676958

>>51676772
This is the most powerful ruse attempt I've seen in a long time.
Mostly I think because it very well might not actually be a ruse at all.

honestly upset and scared for the world more because of this post/10

>> No.51676974

>>51676031
> Its one big selling point, concurrency, is possible in every fucking language.
Enjoy your thread management hell. Of course it's possible in any good language but it is very often more complex than it should be. I really like Go's approach to it, it makes writing simple concurrent programs a breeze.

>>51676887
This is gold copypasta material right here.

>> No.51676993
File: 87 KB, 853x621, 1448489783494.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51676993

>>51676809
>>51676904
>>51676958
I do not commit Ruses. Nor do I support the lunacy of Uriel but he had some valid opinions on computing every now and then.

>> No.51676994

>>51676934
If you think this is bait, then I guess you fell for it.

>>51676974
I actually hand crafted the opinions in my post myself, but thanks for the compliment.

>> No.51677068

>>51676887
>forces how you put curly braces, and removes semicolons. This is an obvious attempt do dumb down the language for the lowest common denominator.
No, it's an obvious attempt to standardize code style. Go itself comes with go fmt, aka "Style my code how Rob Pike likes it". Making all code look the same is a stated goal of Go.

Go is an attempt to reinvent programming. I like that. Programming needs to be reinvented: lately the only tools that update the core task of programming also throw in hipster garbage that makes it impossible to scale to large projects with many developers. Python and Javascript come to mind. Meanwhile, languages that understand scaling and the importance of clarity and information hiding are bloated to hell with artifacts of the 80s and 90s.

"Just add it to C++" is not an acceptable answer, but "Just fuck my shit up" isn't either, and that's why Go sucks.

>> No.51677104

Hurd is shit, it's easily the worst kernel, with only NT being below it. It is literally a special ed version of Linux. Hurd was made by a GNU kek who hates Linux, Richard Stallman, or as I like to call him, Richtard Strawman, is a nigger-retard, known for saying things like "What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux", a common muh feelings argument made by nigger freetards who are too dumb to understand anything useful. He also is known for saying that he has never installed Linux, probably to make him feel more mature and to avoid being thought of a manchild faggot bitch nigga. He hasn't even made any noteworthy accomplishments, just faggot autism.

Now, Hurd has many many flaws; for starters, there really isn't any reason for it to exist, anything it brings to the table could've just been in Linux, meaning that many many time was spent reinventing the wheel. What a waste of fucking time. Hurd has compatibility issues, it forces you to buy very specific computers, and removes proprietary BIOSes. This is an obvious attempt do dumb down the computer for the lowest basement-dwelling neckbeards. You can tell the Hurd nigger brain is saying "ooga booga! Linux not free enough! me no like Linux! me like hurd!". Also the logo is a fucking knot.

>> No.51677123

>>51677068
>Standardize code style
It's standardizing code in the same way Hitler tried to standardize genes.

>> No.51677226
File: 244 KB, 1417x1417, laughing-man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51677226

>>51677123
>comparing syntax features of a programming language to systematic genocide
holy shit

>> No.51677270

>>51677226
When you make someone use tabs or spaces only, rather than letting them chose, or doing the same with curly braces or semicolons, not letting them do what they want is exterminating their opinion, so yes it is a form of genocide, but it's of the mental variety.

>> No.51677335

/g/ is shit, it's easily the worst board, with only /v/ being below it. It is literally a special ed version of /prog/. /g/ was made by a weeaboo kek who hates text boards, Christopher Poole, or as I like to call him, Christ Poo, is a nigger-retard, known for saying things like "i wish to be the little girl", a common muh feelings argument made by nigger retard traps who are too dumb to understand anything useful. He also is known for saying that 4chan runs on mac minis, probably to make him feel more mature and to avoid being thought of a manchild faggot bitch nigga. He hasn't even made any noteworthy accomplishments, just faggot autism.

Now, /g/ has many many flaws; for starters, there really isn't any reason for it to exist, anything it brings to the table could've just been in /prog/, meaning that many many time was spent reinventing the wheel. What a waste of fucking time. /g/ has quality issues, it forces you to browse through a thousand videogames and consumer electronics threads to find something interesting. This is an obvious attempt do dumb down the board for the lowest common denominator. You can tell the /g/ nigger brain is saying "muh gaymes! SICP too hard! me no like programming! me like /g/!". Also there's no logo.

>> No.51677368
File: 43 KB, 709x709, hurdislove.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51677368

>>51677104
embrace the future

>> No.51677469

>>51676734
What? Plan 9 has been GPL'd for a long time.

>> No.51678639
File: 19 KB, 267x302, poe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51678639

>>51677270
Let's apply this same logic to C++:

>language doesn't let me omit semicolons
>I-it's exterminating my opinion!! This is mental genocide! I should have a choice, but the language is forcing me to do something different!

>> No.51678978

>>51677270
You sound like a feminist, just with different words.

>> No.51679991

>>51677123
Worst ad hitlerium I've ever seen

>> No.51680067

>>51676570

He's talking about the languages package managers and that you can have those in dedicated places instead of polluting your entire system with them. At least thats the only thing I can imagine.

>>51676256

You don't have to use them lad. There are good as well as bad reasons to do it that way.

>> No.51680913

>>51674820
Why?

>> No.51681695

2/10 thread
Even Rust is a better language

>> No.51681801

I learned it / am learning it for fun. Is that allowed? Does anyone here even remember what fun feels like?

It has its flaws, like anything else, but being tedious isn't one of them. When I sit down to program in C or C++ (or Java, I guess), I'm not thinking "wowee this is gonna be fun!" Even if the motivation behind me starting the project was something fun. Even if I would get to use a new library that ought to be fun. It isn't.

Go makes me happy and that's all I care about. Now all I have to do is somehow work it into my working life.

>> No.51681827

>>51681695
>Even Rust has better shitposters.

FTFY

>> No.51681943

>>51674691
Julia

>> No.51681963

>>51675340
they were both designed by rob pike's wife, Renee French

>> No.51681990

>>51674691
Don't learn Go. it is a SJW language, just like Rust is.
>>51678061

>> No.51682036

>>51674820
>using the smiley with a carat nose

>> No.51682214

No.

It isn't even widely used at Google, let alone any where of importance.

Meme language.

>> No.51682938
File: 480 KB, 493x342, 1424069783316.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
51682938

>>51682214

>> No.51683157

>>51682938

Sure.

Go isn't even 'the language of the future' *at Google*, I'm not sure why you'd expect it to become mainstream.

>> No.51683914

>>51674691
Of what future?
Embedded systems? No. High performance scientific computing? No. Web servers? Maybe.

Each language has a domain that it is best suited for and Go's is scalable, concurrent servers.

>> No.51683949

>>51683157
What makes you think it isn't? I'm not going to argue it's usable in all problem domains or anything silly like that, but it makes many things much more straightforward and in general is more modern. To me it feels like a bastard cousin of C, C++, and <insert favourite dynamic interpreted language here>.

It feels like a language that'll stand the test of time, to me.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action