Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/g/ - Technology


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1.08 MB, 1400x1276, before-and-after.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49871658 No.49871658 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe] [rbt]

Is it possible for microsoft to do anything other than blindly copy apple these days?

>> No.49871686

It's their entire business model. They've been doing it forever.

>> No.49871687

WHO

THE

FUCK


CARES

>> No.49871694

No. They don't really have a choice.

>> No.49871704

The way I see it, Apple makes aesthetically pleasing crap, I see no reason why Microsoft wouldn't make their shit more pretty and be superior in both practicality and looks.

>> No.49871707

>>49871658
to be fair the microsoft keyboard on the bottom has the best layout of all three

>> No.49871721

>>49871658
>Apple only capitalizes the letter keys

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.49871722

Nope, MS has been shamelessly copying Apple since day one. There's a reason why Apple is the best right now.

>> No.49871726

>>49871658
They only copied the good parts it seems.
>omitted the disgusting abomination apple calls a mouse

>> No.49871745

>>49871721
The irony is that HFS+ doesn't give a fuck either way, yet OSX shows you case sensitive files. Apple just doesn't know what the fuck they're doing.

>> No.49871810
File: 12 KB, 440x338, wmo440.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49871810

No

>> No.49871868

“You know, I’m a big believer in touch and digital reading, but I still think that some mixture of voice, the pen and a real keyboard - in other words a netbook - will be the mainstream on that,” he said. “So, it’s not like I sit there and feel the same way I did with iPhone where I say, ‘Oh my God, Microsoft didn’t aim high enough.’ It’s a nice reader, but there’s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, ‘Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.’”

>http://www.imore.com/iphone-bill-gates-god-ipad-rehash-ipod-dismissal

>> No.49872071

>>49871745
what the fuck does any of that have to do with >>49871721
???

>> No.49872174

>copy
>do it better than apple

kek

>> No.49872202

>>49871658
chiclet keyboards were around before applel

>> No.49872206
File: 952 KB, 1559x1039, 4530.SED_5F00_STop_5F00_FY14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872206

Please do not disrespect Microsoft's peripherals in my presence.

>> No.49872221

People seem to prefer chiclet these days, for whatever reason.

>> No.49872240

>>49872206
>dat palmrest

>> No.49872265

>>49872240
I don't know if you mean that in a good or bad way, but I assure you that it is extremely ftw. If they had made a wired version I would be typing on one now.

>> No.49872297
File: 138 KB, 772x567, internet hate machine.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872297

>>49872206

Is wireless? Do you have a pic of the receiver?

>> No.49872322

>>49872221
Moving fingers up and down is about as minimum as it gets without swiping your fingers on a screen

>> No.49872346

>>49872297
Looks like this. I demoed one extensively, and it feels really nice for a chiclet keyboard. I think the key mechanism is actually nicer feeling than Apple's implementation. However, wireless was a dealbreaker for me and I will probably end up building an ergodox. Why Microsoft hasn't released a reboot of the ergo 4k with blues and a detached/righthand numpad is beyond me.

>> No.49872349

>>49872206
>scissor switches
>desktop

>> No.49872358
File: 58 KB, 770x433, Microsoft_Sculpt_Ergonomic_Desktop_35826700_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872358

>>49872346
oops. Here's the picture.

>> No.49872376

>>49872349
I didn't buy one, but it's a really nice feeling keyboard for what it is. The keys, while shallow, feel significantly better than the rubber domes in the ergo 4k. It's also the best ergonomic layout made to date; I'm planning to bootleg it with ergodox PCBs and a single-piece plate.

>> No.49872399

>>49872358

I hope they make a wired version.

>> No.49872408

The Sculpt keyboard is a joy to behold and great to use. Pity it broke within a few days of heavy usage - the micro chiclet F keys just started to stay pressed and not unpress. If they had this design and real, durable mechanical switches, they'd make bank.

>> No.49872409
File: 74 KB, 480x640, microsoft copies apple.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872409

>>49871658
>Is it possible for microsoft to do anything other than blindly copy apple these days?
That's MS's business model. Samsung stole it from MS too.

>> No.49872439

>>49871658
Microsoft's peripherals have always been better quality and have had higher usability than Apple's though. I hate the company personally, but their keyboards and mice are very well made; especially compared to the over-priced, inferior dog shit Apple release.

>> No.49872443
File: 440 KB, 2168x1593, ZXSpectrum48k.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872443

>>49872202
Then why didn't microsoft copy a pre-apple chicklet keyboard?

>> No.49872453 [DELETED] 

>>49871745
OSX files aren't case sensitive though? the fuck are you talking about

>> No.49872469

>>49871704
Micro$oft shill

>> No.49872481

>>49872439
You've obviously never used Apple gear you fucking nigger. Apple stuff is made out of aluminum and not out of cheap toilet-seat grade plastic like MS shit.

>> No.49872492
File: 31 KB, 450x371, pickformat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872492

>>49872453
That's not how question marks work and I think they're referring to HFS which has a case sensitive form.

>> No.49872503 [DELETED] 

>>49872492
Yeah but that's not the default, so the point the dude was trying to make was just wrong

>> No.49872505

>>49872481
Nice bait. Even my colleagues who are die-hard Apple fanboys use third party peripherals because of how terribly designed and manufacturer Apple's own offerings are. They do look pretty, I guess.

>> No.49872506

> microsoft copying a look
> apple stealing the entire BSD codebase

yeah terrible..................

>> No.49872512

>>49872481
Please do not troll. Microsoft makes the best non-boutique peripherals; this is known. Apple makes the best mobile devices; this, too, is known. All desktop computers are shit, however, and choosing between the various options is a matter of picking the least subjectively objectionable flavor. This, as well, is Known.

>> No.49872516

>>49872503
I don't know how you jumped to that conclusion and I don't care, take it up with them.

>> No.49872520

>>49872346
I have been searching for a keyboard like this and there is almost none competition to the MS ones.

>> No.49872541

>>49872506
MS is still using portions of BSD IIRC, also how is it stealing? Do you say the same when people fork GNU?

>> No.49872549

>>49872481
4/10

You seen really angry. I give you that.

>> No.49872570

>>49872520
Have a look through this page: http://xahlee.info/kbd/ergonomic_keyboards.html

They're all much more expensive than the Sculpt, though.

>> No.49872589

>>49872346
Because Mechanicals are a meme. Long throw Scissor switch is better than all except some Alps type switches.

>> No.49872607

>>49872589
They're also cheap, though. Obviously I'd prefer Topre, but that's too expensive for the mass/enterprise market Microsoft aims for.

>> No.49872628

>>49871658
Holy shit what is the font on that microsoft keyboard, it's so cool I want it, please tell me.

>> No.49872629
File: 147 KB, 1407x596, 7965_8070.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872629

Still going strong

>> No.49872677 [DELETED] 

>>49872516
By default HFS is case insensitive. If you buy a brand new Mac right now the filesystem will not have case sensitivity. The original poster seemed to imply that HFS+ was case insensitive (for ask practical purposes correct) but that OSX pretended it wasn't or something, which is wrong. Not trying to take up anything with you, just saying

>> No.49872687
File: 22 KB, 405x246, iu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872687

>>49872629
i have a comfort keyboard from the wireless 3000 set from circa 2003. shit lasts 9+ months on a pair of AAs. i have no fucking idea what i'm gonna do when this thing finally dies

>> No.49872702

>>49871707
This.

>> No.49872709

>>49871722
I'm pretty sure MS had came out with the tablet before Apple.

>> No.49872730

>>49872677
Maybe they were talking technically, IIRC HFS is still case sensitive but it's resolved similar to how NTFS does it.

I could be wrong here but I think OS X would have to conform to this by default to meet their UNIX/POSIX license requirement.

>> No.49872737

>>49871658
Well the botton one improved over the white one.
I don't see a problem.

>> No.49872800

>>49872730
HFS+ has case sensitive and insensitive options.

>case sensitive
File
file
filE
can all coexist
>case insensitive
File
file
filE
all point to the same file, but whichever you name it the case is preserved.

>> No.49872915

>>49871707
>fucked up home, end, pg up, etc keys
>best layout
0/10

>> No.49872948

>>49872358
is it possible for a computer accessory to have down syndrome?
because that mouse looks autistic and so does the keyboard

>> No.49872952
File: 345 KB, 550x619, 1421268561652.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49872952

>>49872629
my nigga, I still have this setup from 2006. But my mouse is the 6000 edition. And the scroll weel broke down.

>dat sensor

>> No.49872966

>>49872481
>made out of aluminum
>automatically better than anything else

>> No.49872989

>>49872358
damn that looks cool

>> No.49873464

>>49872952
Yeah, I also replaced the mouse.

>> No.49873572

>>49872206
I use Curve 3000 and some small MS corded mouse at work and a Sidewinder x4 at home and they are pretty good and not all that expensive.

>> No.49873583

>>49871687
WHY ARE WE YELLING?!

Just hide the thread if it bothers you that much.

>> No.49873649
File: 1.72 MB, 245x270, tumblr_mz2jekxueW1rutpbro2_r1_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
49873649

>>49872948

>> No.49874353

>>49871658
What model is the bottom one?

>> No.49874646

>>49871658
Top one a best

>> No.49874681

>>49871810
/thread

>> No.49875441

>>49871658
The last one is the nicest, plus no, it totally reminds me of the MS metro design and no, Apple didn't invent the minimalistic design

>> No.49875553

>>49871658
Apple and MIcrosoft both do whatever the homosexual men with stupid hair working in institutes of art and design decide is best this year.

And Microsoft make several different keyboards, just like they make several different versions of everything.

>> No.49876000

>>49871658
> Clear key
What does Clear do?

>> No.49876088

>>49876000
>The standard OS X behaviour is for it to act similar to a delete key, but only when text is selected. It won't delete forwards or backwards like the standard delete keys. It also acts as a standard clear button in the Calculator app. This can vary by app however - in Excel for example, it functions identically to the backspace key.

>> No.49876097

>>49876000
The clear function in calculators.

>> No.49876122

>>49876088
So, it is a Delete on regular Windows, however with some functionality trimmed off? Like a subset of Delete...

Why?
Why Apple has thought that would be a good change to come up with and why Microsoft thought that it is a good idea to mimic?

>>49876097
Escape key also clears the calculator.

>> No.49876155

>>49876122
It acts like numlock on Windows.

>Like a subset of Delete
Backspace and Delete are a subset of rub out.
>move cursor back, rub out character
>move cursor forward, rub out character
They're handy so I can see someone liking clear, at least in the calculator context it makes sense more than numlock does today. An equal sign on a numpad would be nice too.

I think Apple intended it to be a context sensitive key rather than strickly for clearing text, it could clear whatever made sense in the context of the application its in. That's my guess.

>> No.49876166

>>49876122
>Escape key also clears the calculator.
Way too far from the numpad.

>> No.49876317

>>49876166
>Way too far from the numpad.
Other hand, dude.
Unless the other hand is occupied.

>> No.49876452

>>49871686
and better

>> No.49876540

Are you fucking kidding me? All they did was minimalise it in aesthetic terms, if you want, they still make the curvy mice and keyboards.

And before you say that everyone copies apple, Sony has been making the minimalist design shit way before applel mind you

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action