[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 54 KB, 638x382, Loro-Piana.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8874814 No.8874814 [Reply] [Original]

So /fa/, at what point do you think expensive brands are worth their price. For instance, i've seen Loro Piana scarves and sweaters go for about €200 in outlets. Seems reasonable, especially if you realise that the original prices are well beyond €800. what are your thoughts?

>> No.8874912

>>8874814
Not OP but might as well ask. When items go on sale on an outlet, be it online or an actual shop, do you think that they would still make profit or make a loss? Especially for stuff that gets marked down to 50-70%, how do you even survive with minimal profit margin?

>> No.8874981

>>8874912
I work in a shoe store which I won't identify, but we sell some pretty upscale stuff. We also sell some really low-end shit tier shoes. I've seen some ridiculous sales. Had a woman buy these fucking horrible Madden Girl boots. We made a 30% profit on those boots, alone. However, I also saw this woman buy a pair of $2000 heels for $800(don't remember the brand, I'd never heard of them before, but the brand was Italian). They were in perfect condition, but we had no place to keep them, and they were our last pair. So we marked them down, heavily, and took the loss to at least make back some of our money. And that's how we get customers. They come in, looking for something really nice on an insane discount, don't find it, but see plenty of other shoes that we advertise as being on an great discount while we still have them marked up higher than most other places. If anyone asks why we have them marked up a bit more, I BS them about how much different they are and how there's a slight color variance, or fabric difference, or the heel is slightly higher, before mentioning that it's our difference that's in this season, as evidenced by (currently popular female celebrity) wearing them.

>> No.8876443

>>8874981
wow.

now do you really lose money as a store? I mean, i take it you don't buy the shoes for more than $800 right?

>> No.8876532

Well, I work at a Brooks Brothers outlet, and I can confirm that dress shirts, ties, polos and pretty much anything that isn't leather or suits, it's the same as the retail stores, but some people would rather spend an extra $40-$60 on the same shit just to have a different label from the same brand that nobody would know other than you since even sometimes it's the exact design.

But like I said, suits and anything that has to do with leather is lower quality.

>> No.8876797

Yes, at some point you stop getting your money's worth. I don't own any, but I'd bet a $90 APC tee shirt is higher quality than a $10 uniqlo one, but at some point it goes overboard. A tee shirt can only cost so much to make, and past that price you won't see a quality improvement, only a brand change. For example, Alexander McQueen tees for $300 aren't $200 better quality than an apc tee.

>> No.8878693

>>8876443
We bought those shoes for, if I remember correctly, around $1100-$1200. But if we didn't sell them on that discount, we would've lost all of that. At least the $800 was something. More often than not, we lose money on those upscale shoes. We're not a brand-specific store, just a shoe store in general. So people don't come to us expecting anything in particular, but just looking around. So yeah, whenever we sell those insanely upscale shoes, that's less about looking for a profit, and more about building a reputation. People come in, looking for our expensive shoes on a discount, which we keep all the way in the back. That way, it's easy for security to monitor, and when people discover we don't have the deal they're looking for, they wander the rest of the store trying to leave, and a sales associate grabs them and ropes them into another sale.

I had a woman come in one day, looking for a basic running shoe, some cheap New Balance. By the time she was leaving, I convinced her to grab 4 different pair of Asics and Saucony, through complete BS. Turned a $50 sale into almost $500.

Imagine what we do with people who come in looking to drop "only" $1000.

>> No.8878859

>>8876443

You always assume that there might be a portion of your items that need to be marked down and sold at a loss; that's just a basic reality of retail. But those aren't the majority of your sales and it is just factored into the cost of doing business.