[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 137 KB, 683x1024, taw-venice03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8380785 No.8380785[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>be really interested in architecture growing up
>decide to go to college to get a degree in archicture
>discover its an artsy hipster-fest, where design comes second to looking weird and unqiue

what the fuck have i gotten myself into? do I just succumb to the artsy way of life?

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/they-are-wearing/they-are-wearing-venice-architecture-biennale-7722619/slideshow?src=tumblr#/slideshow/article/7722619/7722791

>> No.8380791

that's what you get for choosing the major for engineers who can't do math

>> No.8380798

>>8380791
>major for engineers who can't do math
ive heard that a lot recently, and I never really realized it until now.

if i had known architecture in todays time was more hipster and artistic, I wouldve just been a contractor or something.

>> No.8380803

>>8380785
>implying thats not just like any remotely "creative" profession

>>8380798
a contractor? are u serious?

>> No.8380812

>>8380803
well, something more low key and practical. maybe design build. or just gone to college with a diferent type of architcture program. I like designing big neat things, but I'm not flashy and special snowflake like everyone else in the program

>> No.8381117
File: 32 KB, 300x286, 1398474546095.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8380798
>>8380812
>implying being artsy and eccentric isn't infinitely more cool and /fa/ than being a contractor or something blue collar

just succumb.
you don't have to be a special snowflake or even necessarily follow the crowd at your college. just let out your creative side. you might even understand what they're on about or "get it"

>> No.8381146

>>8381117

urban outfitters, american apparel? ehhh

>> No.8381154

>>8380812
>I'm not like everyone else in the program
Typical snowflake talk

>> No.8381155

>>8380785
embrace it bro. then after 4 years you'll either love it and go into the field (where you'll make no money unless you become a contractor) or you'll hate it and do your own thing

source: i have a degree in architecture

>> No.8381173

>>8381146
What do you mean?

>> No.8381178

i wish it was like that here, its all about fucking design, shits too hard

>> No.8381186

>>8381173

dressing/living like them. aka ultra trendy stores that have 40$ tshirts and 70$ jeans. I cant afford to live like that. When I was in college my parents and myself only had enough money for the essentials, while my fellow arch friends had $$$$ to spend on fashion every week.

>>8381155
I already graduated. I am currenly working at an office full time. The median age is 45. I am the youngest employee at 22 and the next youngest is 28. 95% of the office is married. I went from artsy hipsters to dads.

>> No.8381472

>>8381186
why the fuck are you complaining about artsy hipster types on /fa/ if you don't even have to deal with them anymore. also you need to either leave or lurk more if you think $70 is expensive for a pair of jeans. this is /fa/ for fucks sake and obviously you don't care about fashion

>>>/b/

>> No.8382480

>>8381472

I came here to ask if I should assimilate into their culture or keep my own style friend. there is no need to be upset. i will be going to grad school where it it another two years of the same

>> No.8382484

>>8382480
noooobody cares

make your own decisions

>> No.8382537

>>8380785
>>8380791
>>8380798

>that's what you get for choosing the major for engineers who can't do math

>me at 16
>have changed my mind about what major should I do like 20 times already
>decide to go for architecture bc I'm good at spatial vision and I like drawing
>get in there and see I have no clue
>start getting interested
>check a ton of magazines and sites
>read about great architects like jorn utzon, alvaro siza, mies, etc.
>90% of my classmates are more for the starchitect or trendy shit (Calatrava, BIG, MAD, whatever...)
>projects starts to be a showcase of who got more crazy
>get sick bc I don't feel like we're going anywhere like that
>everyday doing less and less
>finally decide to leave bc I see no future for me in there
>join engineer major
>I'm one of the few ones (maybe 7%) of the class that's going year per year passing every subject and I almost do no shit

Yeah, sure it is.

I miss architecture, btw.

>> No.8382850

architecture is a joke now. flooded field and no one is passionate about anything other than the visual aspect and like you said people just do 'weird shit' that isnt really uniquely functional or aesthetically pleasing. very little interaction with the environment very little regard for the location it's built etc. it's a fucking shit show. 90% of the shit you see on blogs might as well be pre-fab cause you've seen it 1000 times.

>> No.8382858

>>8382850
I feel this applies to the gross of the creative field nowadays.

>> No.8382861

I got an offer to study graphic design (unemployed for the rest of my life) in central saint martins in London, the most effay university in the world.

>> No.8382882

>>8382861
An unemployed graphic designer with a degree from st.m is unlikely.

Blackpools college for the scrummy and shites with a degree in 'Graphic design' aka html webdesign and making derived 'logos' and 'banners' - perhaps.

>> No.8382890

>>8382850
I love math and art. What field should I go into? I've thought about architecture for the longest time but i've been reconsidering lately for exactly those reasons

>> No.8382893

>>8382890
If anything that should be an opportunity to flourish and differentiate yourself if you are capable to that.

>> No.8382894
File: 2.71 MB, 360x441, 1402699829529.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8381117
on point, niggas be jumping the /fa/ wagon, its hard to find creativity in fashion with all those expensive as fuck basic fits or goofniggers all over ricks dick, i would like to see more creative and inspired fits without them being shot down by elitist faggots who spent $200 on pants

>> No.8382905

>>8382890
I have a friend who is excellent at maths and art one of the top academics at Highschool and he's doing visual design. He loves it, but says unless you are genuinely passionate and talented about ANY design course, your ass will lost in the sea of hipsters thinking someone will give them a job because they did a degree.

I don't think there's any maths in his course however.

>> No.8382916

>>8380785
lol all of those people look so normal...get over yourself dude

>> No.8382918

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeS23tHYFwM

>> No.8382933

>>8382894
Yeah i'm sick of Raf-dip-dye-and-yohji-black-pants.jpg being the authority everywhere here, it's getting old.

>> No.8382944

>>8382850

So much this.

Architects should be committed to the labour of creating spaces that enhance our lives. Our moods and our minds are shaped by everything that surrounds us, be it physical or not. You see, I'm not the same guy when I walk through the streets of Paris or London than when I walk around my shitty town.

But lately architecture has been only about the shape. Oversized pharaonic buildings, luxurious houses, catastrophes out of context, and then brick/concrete fast builded shitholes for the masses. These things are not for the people

And then, when the thing crashes and you think there's some debate going on all they do is paint their shits on green and plant a tree on the roof.

>> No.8382959

Did any of you ever look at doing civil engineering? Never looked into the field myself but maybe it's a good mix of low-key architecture and math

>> No.8382984

op. stick it out in my opinion. stay true to the shit you like, the designs you like. work your ass off.

the faggots who dont know design and are just doing wow so unique work are going to fail in the real world. you won't, if you do things right.

keep at it, stay out of the shitfest, do what you need to to pass and graduate but do not let go of your convictions. you'll come out of it with real skill and taste and theyll come out of it with a degree they cant back up and design work that looks like shit and out of place.

keep at it I say

>> No.8383008

>>8382944
I've been wondering about this for a while. Why does economical building have to be aesthetically shitty?

It could be the same logic as in car design: Large companies buy out the small innovative ones, then as all production is concentrated in the hands of a few huge corporations, they intentionally make budget models look like crap, and luxury models that look very aesthetical.

Nothing in reality prohibits making economical and good looking cheap cars or housing. Design and architecture does not necessarily cost all that much.
Labor and materials are the main expense.

The only reason I can think of is the above; Intentional suppression of quality. If a market disruptor appears and makes quality housing or cars for a cheap price, they will soon be either bought out of the market or bullied out of it via lawsuits, patent trolls etc.

>> No.8383095

>>8382959

Civil engineering has nothing to do with creativity. It might have common subjects with architecture (structures, some materials), but that's all.

>>8383008

I really don't know about car industry, but there's no big conspiration in architecture to make everything look shitty. It's just that is cheap as fuck. Any moron with no education or experience can put a brick over another and then add some mortar. And the bricks and the mortar themselves aren't expensive at all. Same for concrete.

Then about distributions you've got several factors. First, builders want to sum as many m2 as possible because the selling price is going to be based on that. Second, they'll try to reduce as much as possible the meters of facade because it's one of the most expensive things in the building. Thus, they'll try to build buildings starting from a size and a shape that is not necessarily the best in terms of further distribution of spaces.

Oh, and most of them take loans, so they want to end as fast as possible to sell the flats asap to pay the bank and pay less interests.

Yeah, it truly is about making it as cheap as possible.

>> No.8385080

>>8382959
I am studying civil engi atm, 3rd semester. It isn't fa at all, and creativeness is really limited. You can try implementing small things, but they mostly need to make sense in terms of calculations

>> No.8386286

>>8380785
yes. look better than all of them. amaze,inspire and antagonize them. rise, my brother.

>> No.8386407

>>8380785
>discover its an artsy hipster-fest, where design comes second to looking weird and unqiue

Why do you have to let that bother you?

Currently studying Masters in Architecture, sure there is the hipster bunch but just do your own thing man and be good at it.

You can still make your design good while having good form.