[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 85 KB, 528x528, cooldenimlook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8115988 No.8115988[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I told my friends I wanted to have a hipster style like they did and they told me to come to 4chan fashion board and that you guys could help me out to dress better. So how do I become a hipster?

Inb4 Lol urban outfitters fag. I know that only poser hipsters shop there.

>> No.8115995

define hipster first and we will help
because as far as I know it became a buzzword

>> No.8116008

>>8115995
Pretty much this. There is no such thing as a "hipster", save for that person a few levels down the line from you. I've been called a hipster because I listen to Franz Ferdinand and Garbage. I have friends that wear thick-rimmed glasses, work in film, listen to vinyl, smoke American Spirits, drink PBR primarily listen to bands that I've never heard of, and hang out at local band shows or art cinemas. While hanging out with them, I heard them comment on someone's "hipster" mustache.

To me, they were my hipsters. To them, he was their hipster. To someone else, I am a hipster because I actively enjoy watching Daria, have a beard, and listen to St. Vincent on a regular basis. Also, UO makes a pair of cuffed joggers that I was considering copping...

>> No.8116013

I can't describe it.. just hipsters I guess. They look different than everyone else. Like better but different. All I wear is cargo shorts and Arizona Jeans from JC Penny and target has nice vintage shirts. That's about all I have.

>> No.8116014

>>8116013
you sound 15

>> No.8116015
File: 29 KB, 1229x300, 1397644192776.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This

>> No.8116021
File: 279 KB, 776x588, hiprelativity.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And this

>> No.8116038

>>8116014
I'm actually 20. -_-
Please help. Where do I start? I want bitchezz.

>> No.8116066

Hipster doesn't mean shit. The "hipster" you know is an image that clothing companies and such mistook as an new subculture and then they tried to sell it as they did with everything else. They failed at it though because you'll never catch hipster since it's shit that always moving and changing. It's not a cohesive subculture so it has no "look", no sound, no ideals. You can sell hipster like you some emo, goth, punk, or hippie and that's what corporations failed to realize about hipsters, there is nothing to sell but a mad up stereotyped image. What is that image? Thick rimmed glasses, converse allstars, flannel, skinny jeans, "i liked this before anyone else did". Hot Topic tried this when the emo money dried up in 2008, they failed and just resorted to becoming spencer's 2. MTV tried to sell hipster to teenagers through shit like My Life as Liz and failed.

Think of indie and how there's no one sound in indie. Indie is an umbrella term for a shit-ton of genres that didn't do too well in the mainstream in the 90s. Folk, post-punk, noise rock, lo-fi, and some forms of electronic, and they all got shoehorned under the "indie" label because the only places signing these bands were indie labels, thus you can have band like The Strokes being called indie, while someone like Mac Demarco can be considered indie and they really don't sound shit alike.

This is the same thing with hipster. The most generalized definition of hipster that I can give are usually 20 something white urban dwellers living alternative lifestyles and shit, and usually living in "hip" neighborhoods of whatever city they live in. Watch Porlandia because it basically is about his. A crustie can be a hipster, that totally outlandish looking dipshit can be a hipster, that twee girl can be a hipster, that tatted leather jacket wearing dyke can be a hipster, that streetwear wearing guy can be a hipster. It's not one thing, it doesn't have a set fashion bunch it does have a set attitude or way of life.

>> No.8116068

>>8116038

You've got the absolute wrong attitude for this dude

Mature a little bit first

>> No.8116075

>>8116066
And the thing is that indie was considered a subtype of hipster. You had the dance music hipster, the folk hipster, the "I make/like shit music that will never catch on to just make shit music" hipster (Shit Robot, others).

To be honest, hipster is dead. It died around the time when everyone started using the word. No one cares about Williamsburg and all the other hipster spots anymore and the sites that usually reported on them back in the late 00s/early 10s don't even talk about them.

And hipster runoff has been dead for like a year, and even before that it turned into trash and had infrequent post.

>> No.8116081
File: 64 KB, 550x733, w0foP3F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

if you want to be a hipster, you've already failed

>> No.8116087

>>8116038
Dressing well shouldn't be means to an end.

Also mature a bit, you sound like a mid-teen.

>> No.8116098

If you want to be "hip" right now, go for streetwear. Shit ever urban outfitters isn't catering directly to the "hipster" thing anymore.

>> No.8116113

>>8116075
>hipster runoff

Oh shit, I was trying to remember the name of that.

I remember when that started.

>> No.8116130

>>8116038
>I want bitchezz
then you don't want to be a hipster, their gay
you should look into the official fuccboi uniform instead:

- outerwear: slim fit plain black bomber (H&M, Asos, Zara, Rick Owens, SLP)
- t-shirt: basic white tee (Uniqlo, T by Wang, Rick Owens) or layer 2 tees onto each other in the following colors: white, grey, grey marl, asphalt, graphite, black
- pants: black skinny jeans (Levi's, Cheap Monday, Acne, SLP, Dior Homme)
- shoes: all white AF1 mid by Nike or geobaskets by Rick Owens
accessories:
- black Original Wayfarer by Ray-Ban or revolver black Winston by Warby Parker
(- full gold/silver Rolex)

hairstyle: HitlerYouth or buzzcut

>> No.8116134

“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.
It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.
Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you’ve probably sensed the pattern on your own).
You can’t define what “that kind of behavior or fashion or lifestyle” actually is, nor will you ever be able to. That’s because you don’t use “hipster” to describe an actual group of people, but to describe a fictional stereotype that is an outlet for literally anything that annoys you.
The twist, of course, is that if it weren’t for your own insecurities, nothing that a “hipster” could do or wear would ever affect you emotionally. But you are insecure about your own authenticity - “Do I wear what I wear because I want to? Do I listen to my music because I truly like it? I’m certainly not like those filthy hipsters!” - so you project those feelings.
Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, “ironic” Them.
tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

come on man, at least read the sticky :)

>> No.8116139

>>8116130
Don't forget roshes

>> No.8116545

>>8115988
what the flying fuck is a poser hipster? even the whole thing behind the hipster stuff is all shit.

>> No.8116557

Anyone wanting to be a hipster has to be a teenager, because teenagers are the only people who think anyone wants to be a hipster and that hipster are really a thing.

>> No.8116555
File: 196 KB, 483x535, tumblr_mv59o8D7Uh1qc8awpo1_500.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8115988
get af1s instead