[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 2.21 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7385392 No.7385392[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How are department stores like Bloomingdales and Nordstrom and Macy's still open? I live in a metropolitan area that's considered a cultural hub for the entire region and I've been in all three downtown flagship locations and they're just atrocious. There's absolutely no flow on the floors, just racks strewn about haphazardly with no though to visibility nor navigability. It looks like a Burlington Coat Factory in there. And the brands they stock are just awful and incredibly overpriced for the quality (or lack thereof). It was all Ralph Lauren and Hugo Boss and Levi's mainline. Like seriously, JC Penny tier garbage except it was all marked up to like 100% increase. I asked the associates if they carried Rick or Raf or Veilance or Acronym and I got dumbfounded blank stares. Nordstrom at least had common projects, so I figured I could ask their shoe staff where to find stuff, but when I asked if they knew where I could see raf x adidas he literally told me to try Champ's sports. Srs. The best brands I found in Bloomingdales menswear department were pleb-tier shit like Nudies. There was one little tiny rack of Y-3. The only raf they had was his collab with Fred Perry. Their entire floor was filled with cheaply made nobody brands with the same weak little poplin button-ups I would expect to find at h&m, except at twelve times the price. Who shops here? How do they stay open? Who drops thousands on trash like 7 for all mankind? Idgi. Pic unrelated.

>> No.7385397

wow im not fucking reading that
this isnt your personal blog you tumblr chodecake

>> No.7385414
File: 428 KB, 400x675, 1377933136226.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why would you ask nordstroms/ macys if they stocked acronym or veillance wow how fucking retarded can one person be

>> No.7385460

>>7385392
The mall department store saw the end of its heyday in the 80s I think.

They sprung up in every town and suburb because people needed a place to shop. If it wasn't carried then people didn't know about it.

But now we have the internet and suburban kids know about brands that they have never seen in person.

Suburban malls are losing foot traffic because more people shop online.

Department store chains are closing locations and selling of real estate to focus on upscale downtown locations, or are going downscale to compete with Walmart.

Its a brave new world, man.

>> No.7385478

>>7385392
middle class folks who aren't interested in fashion. Globalization has pushed high consumer fashion into small but still accessible niches like brand stores, and internet sales make this more viable and remove the middleman of a department store, making it a better choice to have a direct consumer-designer relationship.

Departments stores now exists for middle class folks who aren't interested in fashion beyond its daily use, and serves to collect fashion with names they can recognize and buy to feel upclass without the effort of understanding the world of fashion.

>> No.7385490

>>7385392
jinkies

>> No.7385503

>>7385478
No, those people don't really shop there either. When I go inside sears or one of the shittier suburban HBC's they're practically empty. If a soccer mom wanted clothes and didn't care about fashion, shed just shop gap old navy Costco Walmart Levis outlet etc.

>> No.7385522

>>7385392

I work in a Sunglass Hut that's inside a Macy's so I see all the people that shop there. It's mostly middle aged and older people, typically with a customer appreciation card (Macy's calls it the star reward card). That store is a low-mid store and it pulls in 100K a day. The brands are low tier but the average person doesn't need, want, or can afford the brands you're looking for.