[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/fa/ - Fashion

View post   

File: 63 KB, 1280x720, 19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11015015 No.11015015 [Reply] [Original]

sup effay

lookin at taking a shot at making my own clothes, thought i'd start with a crewneck. anyone have good sources for pattern/templates or design guidelines/tips? working off kenandrewdaily's vids at the moment, but i'd appreciate any other resources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4TMpDIpOqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYJvJEQv_0

didn't see anything in the sticky, sorry if i overlooked something. thanks.

>> No.11015029
File: 75 KB, 640x853, 1454276560245.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Patterns online are usually limited to the most basic stuff. You'll have to pay for anything fancier. I'd recommend learning to make patterns from scratch. Just get some books from the library. It really isn't that difficult.

Also: Working with jersey is a pain in the ass if you don't have an overlock.

pic unrelated

>> No.11015030

best of luck, i'm starting a clothing brand and i've sewn a few garments myself with my sewing machine, and ultimately decided to source and modify pre-existing stuff because making clothes by hand is extremely difficult and requires very expensive machinery to make stuff consistently good. if you're looking to design your own stuff i highly recommend buying something like american apparel or any of the thousands of similar companies and print on it or alter it yourself.
i've made a couple of t-shirts and sweatshirts and it's not only ridiculously expensive, it's just incredibly hard to make something that you'd actually wear

>> No.11015042

>>11015030
you simply lack talent or dedication or both.

>> No.11015058

>>11015015

i fuck with this dude heavy.

too bad he is a fuccboi. I bet if he had a more original style or experimented more/ copied more interesting designer stuff he could make a lot more unique pieces.

>> No.11015061

>>11015042
well that's not true, i forgot to mention that i have never used pre-made patterns, made my own by hand and managed to make good prototypes, but it's far more expensive to buy materials and manufacture them myself or hire someone to manufacture them than it is to alter pre-existing ones or to use cut and sew manufacturing companies

>> No.11015090

>>11015058
yeah so far he's aight. i'm just using his videos as a blueprint just to get the essentials down, but most of his results seem like a watered down blend between zara/streetware/ye style bites.

>> No.11015092

>>11015061
You're right in a business way. If you want to manufacture and sell clothes, making everything yourself is time consuming and expensive.

From a artistic point of view it is the only way to get fashionable and interesting pieces, though. Making clothes for yourself and enjoying unique and artisinal clothing. Having the joy of creating something. You'll have to take the high road for that.