[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 105 KB, 512x512, spacemacs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
995400 No.995400 [Reply] [Original]

Got few chink ripoff arduinos and a rpi 3 thinking in making a sattelite.

>what kind of satellite should I do ?

>how to make it happen ?
>how to make the DIY rocket etc ?

>> No.995406

>what kind of satellite should I do
If you can't answer this, then you probably shouldn't make a satellite.

Without ground stations you can do fuck all really.

You are better off making your electronics instead of fucking retarduino. Yes consumer electronics can work in space, but they're shit. Weight and making shit reliable is more important than cheap.

But why don't you do something useful like test electrospray propulsion or demonstrate fine attitude control? Anything else is shit and not worth wasting payload space.

>> diy rocket
Hahahahahahah no.

>> No.995420

Realistically, if you have to ask these questions, you're not going to be able to get this done on your own. Your best bet is to attend some University that has its own cubesat program and get involved with that.

And while it is POSSIBLE to make a cubesat with cheap components (http://www.50dollarsat.info/)), launch costs will still run up to five or six figures, so it's a bit silly NOT to invest in more powerful hardware for a more capable satellite.

>> No.995424

>>995400
>Duck tape all that bullshit into a phallic shape.
>Strap a lot of rockets to it.
>Boom. Satellite.

>> No.995432

>>995400
>>995406
>>995420
>>995424
Alright guys stop with the meems, realisticly one can make a DIY rocket, just google diy space program, there was this 2 guys that launched a rocket out of metal into space and the engine was made out of parts you find at home depot.

As for satellite, there should be a lot of calculating and programming to be done. And even with arduino is possible

>> No.995438

>>995432
Putting something into space is entirely different from putting something into orbit. If you just send your shitter DIY "satellite" straight up it's just going to come down again.

You haven't even mentioned regulatory concerns yet.

>> No.995600

OP, I recommend you find a hobby rocket sim that allows you to try/simulate different payloads, mass, etc. I think you will be surprised how difficult this is. You might think a rpi is small, but its a huge burden in size and mass vs utility. It is hard enough getting your empty launch vehicle into orbit let alone a dead weight like some pi's and associated power etc requirements. What g force spec do the knockoffs have?

>> No.995624

>>995600
Yeah I understand, but I am willing to try and fail a lot.

Also I might start with just few rockets that at LEAST leave earth and then work a way to make it into orbit not just space

>> No.995649

>>995624
>I might start with just few rockets that at LEAST leave earth
Just out of curiosity: how much money you're willing to spend on this?

>> No.995649,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>995400
Just strap your toy onto a weather balloon and call it a day mate.
You ain't gonna impress anyone except marketing buffoons by launching an Aduidito into space.

Bonus points if you manage to stay in border LEO for more than a few minutes.

>> No.995673

>>995400
>how to make the DIY rocket etc ?

If you're serious about it you should look into cubesats. You can have one put into orbit for $70,000. Size is limited to a 10cm cube 1.3kg in weight. There's also Picosats which are smaller and less expensive.

>what kind of satellite should I do ?
I've had this crazy idea for a while. An ion drive and the electron gun from an old CRT TV are basically the same thing. I want to send up a satellite with an ion drive kludged together from garbage.

>> No.995677

>>995673
>basically the same thing
Maybe on the superficial level, but the thrust produced by a CRT electron gun would be, even ignoring the effects of charging your satellite, so small that even proving that it actually works would be a challenge.

>> No.995679
File: 9 KB, 220x220, 220px-Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>995624
I don't think you appreciate just how difficult it is to get into orbit. Orbital rockets are big. Going suborbital takes 1.4 km/s at the very least, in comparison it takes around 8-9.4 km/s to get into orbit.

You will need a big rocket to get a cube sat into orbit.

>> No.995683

>>995624
> leave earth
Just use a big balloon.

If you put a raspi into space it will shit the bed thanks to rogue radiation flipping bits. You need to wrap that shit in a few layers of kitchen foil

>> No.995741

>>995649
100k/year up to 5 years

>> No.995744

If you're asking these kinds of questions, and asking on 4chan of all places, there's no way in hell you have the means to do this.

There are first world nations that can't put a satellite in orbit.

>> No.995746

>>995673
Ion propulsion uses ions (heh) tho, CRTs use electrons
You're looking at about three orders of magnitude less, and that's seeing as ion drives still don't push shit and are only good when activated for extremely long periods of time

>> No.995747

>>995744
>implying every nation has a space program
They just don't want to because it won't bring in votes

>> No.995758
File: 41 KB, 445x640, GoFast_Inflight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>995741
Better focus on cost-effectiveness then, or you'll get just one shot at that money.

>>995747
You can buy launches so there's usually no pressing need to make your own rockets.

>> No.995786
File: 74 KB, 565x621, Morshu_by_spellgoudido.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>995741
You have not enough ruppees. Come back when you're a little mmmmmmmmm... richer.

>> No.995791
File: 1.45 MB, 3319x2116, taxmoney.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

make sure you use shipping containers full of 3D printed hydrazine to deliver a crabmeat palette payload to LEO

>> No.995811

>>995432
>being cucked this hard

>> No.995836

>>995744
asking what questions ?
He never asked HOW he asked WHAT

>> No.995887

Just wire the arduins to control rokets and make sure to put batteries cause no plugs in space, glue the rpi to the top so ur rocket fly strait

>> No.995889

>>995887
How do I wire the arduibo to cntrl the rocket? What pins do I connect to the rocket motor to do this? Is there an arduno code for rocket motor control?

Do AA batteries wrk in space?

>> No.995946

>>995683
Is there a science reason why we don't do this for full size rockets? Lift it as high as possible with a plane or balloon and then launch?

>> No.995951

>>995946
because in order to lift that much mass, you'd end up spending the same amount if you just launched from the ground.

>> No.995976

>>995946
cuz rockets get lighter as they burn upwards and they can accelerate into orbit while they ascend

>> No.995977

>>995951

Sure, it would be using the same amount of energy but wouldn't the starting point simply be higher? It seems effective to me

>> No.996039

>>995977
>>995946
>>995951
yeah, why dont we launch them from higher grounds ? Like mountain tops etc ?

Like we will save up 6-7 miles or so

>> No.996059

>>996039
> Like we will save up 6-7 miles or so

Mt Everest is only 5.5 miles above sea level, and you're not going to build a rocket launch facility in a place where most humans need oxygen tanks and you can't build roads.

With satellite launches it's not just about going straight up to reach space. The satellite needs to end up moving horizontally fast enough to stay in orbit. This makes the equator the best place to launch a satellite. It's like launching from a platform that's already moving 1,000 mph.

>> No.996065
File: 34 KB, 690x388, proton-crash-reason-sensor.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>995977
>>996039
The energy required to lift satellites to the correct altitude is small in comparison to the energy required to reach the orbital speed. It isn't generally worth the hassle and/or the extra complexity to try to save some miles in launch height.
What comes to mountains in particular, the bigger ones tend to be far from coasts, forcing you to launch your rockets over land. People downwind from your launch site tend to dislike the idea. Also, if your mountain isn't near the equator, the loss in initial speed (given by Earth's rotation) will offset the height advantage over sea level equatorial launches.

>> No.996667
File: 690 KB, 834x497, HAT-1_Miracle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>995889
>get gud skrub by a shild fr the lipu and a shilld for the rocket motr && 1 fo solar and you gud

>>995400
Also to be honest OP, small steps.
Go buy some helium and a good balloon, maybe a glider, then try to make a controlled landing and challenge yourself on how long your drone will hold altitude.

In space, EE is really complicated, as many people pointed out already. Not even accounting for the extreme temperature differences you might encounter for example.
You'd need mil-spec silicon for that at least, also years of experience to make it worthwhile.

Also again, I'd like to see OP building a probe, preferably a space drone. Interesting things to gather is data foremost in my opinion, install a GM counter to gather some sweet stats about radiation for example.

Another good example would be a lightweight vessel with a solar sail, but that would be way out of OP league in my opinion.

>> No.996681

>>995400
faa pls rape this fucker

>> No.996694

>>995889
Connect pin 2 to rocket motor (use space wire), just copy the entire arduino rocket library to ur program, get some Energizer AAs Cause ther space rated. Put LEDs everywhere!! So other satellites can see u and not crash to ur satelite

>> No.997224

>>995400

I don't know if there has ever been an ameture rocket actually achieve orbit. So good luck.

>> No.997233

>>996681

Get fucked commie

>> No.997234

>>995741
>Willing to spend 500k for a rocket
>Only willing to use chink rpi for the satellite

Ok

>> No.997244

>>997234
Well DIY, you said I would never do it.

I finished my krab meat powered rocket and got to orbit. Turns out krab meat is has great specific energy and impulse once you get the combustion system down.

My rocket went out of control and rammed the ISS though. :( All the components popped off the cheap rpi board from the vibration.

Can I DIY a lawyer?