[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.56 MB, 2100x1500, dmz144_Villafane 037.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
94588 No.94588 [Reply] [Original]

I guess my first picture was too much. Sorry.

I'm the guy buying the 65 acres up in Maine. I thought we had a pretty good thread going until it got deleted.

Basically I'm looking for any kind of advice on self reliant living. I'm looking to build a small cabin and live off of as little as possible every year.

Links are much appreciated, email is included.

>> No.94860

You might wanna post this on /k/. They can tell you about it more.
My idea would be:
Buy land.
Build cabin
Buy gun ( Nugget, sks, .22 something affordable and reliable) with ammo, surplus ammo in bulk, great stuff for nugget and Slav stuff
Make traps for game
Make small farm area for food growth
Make sure to have a close water source.
Make sure to have a fire starter kit or whatever and a med kit. Old school stoves are great cause they use wood not gas or if you want buy a gas one.
Hope that helped a little.

>> No.94863

how much money do you have?

>> No.94958
File: 1.38 MB, 896x1280, 1279675776566.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Watch Les Stroud's "Off the grid". Its essentially what you're doing in a similar environment. There's a lot of hippy stuff like green energy, renewable resources, and even an outhouse, but its plausible for living off the grid and being self reliant.

http://www.documentarywire.com/les-stroud-off-the-grid

Huge investment upfront but after that you could farm the land in the summer and live off of $5000 a year for food and diesel for backup power.

Basically run solar and wind if its windy in Maine, have multiple sources for water for farming and irrigation, build a structure that's durable and energy efficient. Then learn to farm and preserve your farmed foods. Make sure you have enough wood for fire in the winter and cooking in a wood stove in the summer.

Hi Sam. Don't bring any 16 year old girlfriends, they don't live off the grid very well.

>> No.95049

look into aquaponics.
minimum input a very little waste.

>> No.95054

>>95049
go away troll.

>> No.95257

>>95049
aquaponics is shit, use bubblepon is more reliable

aquapon is for naive hipster faggots

>> No.95387
File: 43 KB, 392x500, 1312090572444.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>94958
TACO!
oh man taco. you have to kome to kweaponschat at the tiny place.

My budget is 25k for the land, and aproximately 10k for everything else. This is money I already have, no loans are gonna be taken out.

>> No.95409

OP, I just want to wish you the best possible luck with this and I truly hope you succeed in living out your dream.

[even if troll thread to make haters jealous, well done there son]

>> No.95480

65 acres is quite a lot of land. more than you need to grow food for a family. <~1acre should be plenty for that>

keep some livestock slaughter it yourself

make a business out of the land. quad biking or something sounds good
could make an orchard, brewery

>> No.95590

Watch "Alone in the Wilderness" part 1 and 2.

It documents this guy Dick Proenekke and how he built a sweet cabin with handtools and woods materials. While you cant expect the same level of awesomeness as his cabin, over time im sure you could build something decent provided you have tools.

also, raise chickens and goats. They are easy as fuck to raise and breed. If you can protect them from coyotes and exposure, they pretty much take care of themselves.

>> No.95596
File: 97 KB, 1223x732, Yaesu-FT-757-with-matching-antenna-tuner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Amateur radio is a lot of fun. It'll give you contact with the outside world and the power demands are quite low.

>> No.95744

>>95590
Found a torrent for part 1, got a link for part 2?

>> No.95758

Hope your land is not near roxanne quimby, OP.

>> No.95788
File: 54 KB, 500x375, deer-hunter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you don't already, take up hunting and fishing.

>> No.96008

I have heard their is a growing amount of deer in the North East. People just don't hunt like they used to. Some places they are becoming a menace as they run out on the roads and kill people in traffic accidents.

Take ten or twelve a year and don't tell anyone. Sixty five acres is plenty of room to harvest in quiet.

>> No.96014

>>96008
Most of the time, they run into the roads right around deer-hunting season. Hmm, must be coincidence.

>> No.96024

>>96014
end of harvest season you mean. when all the corn and such is cut and gone and there's no forage food for them left. they travel more in spring to mate, and in fall foraging.

you must not observe deer very closely. during hunting season they tend to stay closer to civilized areas, and get hit more closer to towns. yeah they drift to get away from hunters but not as much as they leap into traffic while on the move looking for new food sources.