[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 82 KB, 640x480, IMG_3143.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
92273 No.92273 [Reply] [Original]

The idiots at Old Navy left the anti theft scanner on.

pic related

any ideas on how to get it off without damaging my clothes???

>> No.92275 [DELETED] 

Oh it's easy. Walk right in and explain and they will remove it. Otherwise you're going to mar the fabric by removing it yourself. Regrettable but it is holiday season and most of the new hires have probably never worked retail before.

>> No.92281

>>92275
you''re assuming he didn't steal it

>> No.92284

>>92275

...damnit

>> No.92286

magnets, idiot GTFO OF /DIY/

>> No.92287

>>92281

I don't have it, but I didn't steal it. I asked them for a bigger bag because I had so many items from other stores and they threw it away.

>> No.92288 [DELETED] 

>>92284
I know, but maybe it's even their first job and people are angry and stressed about shopping. They are working long hours, you know. Alway another side.

If you want to be bad about it, you can claim hardship and try to get some free vouchers. "I had to drive all the way from ________ to come back, that's two hours away what about my gas money?"

But it's up to you.

>> No.92289

>>92287

***I don't have the receipt

>> No.92292 [DELETED] 

>>92289
It's okay, you don''t need it. Trust me, these kids are going to apologize like hell and get that thing off and make damn sure THEY never leave the thing on.

>> No.92300

>>92289
go to store with receipt for bigger other stuff from another day
walk right up to first employee nearest door
>>I got home and this was on this
>>wave receipt around

should work

>> No.92302

>>92300

might work

>> No.92303 [DELETED] 

>>92300
No, no you just have to come from the right. Customer stations at Old Navy are near the door, supermarket style. If you walk from that angle carrying it and make eye contact with one of them they will do it in like 20 seconds to avoid a holiday riot.

>> No.92305 [DELETED] 

>>92303
Right angle, sorry.

>> No.92314

stick pieces of strong wire into any little holes on the tag, then pull the pin side out with a pliers.There are little tabs inside that lock the pin, you just need to release them with the wire.

>> No.92355

you can take it out with two items.
- Safety Pin
- Pliers or Table Vice

~ Grip the security strip, and on the front side, press the safety pin into the hole. There's a small latch that needs to be pressed into inside of it, but at the same time, the tab should be pulled, to separate it from the driven-in pin.

tldr; just take it to the staff.

>> No.92390

they did this to my jeans at sears
get some good wire cutters that can cut the pin holding the two parts together

then make it so that the bigger part is on the bottom when you cut it and then cut between the bigger part and the cloth

the bigger part holds ink which is why you want it to face the ground

>> No.92414

Tag on the clothes. Op says he "doesn't have the receipt".

He fucking stole this shit.

>> No.92418

>>92414
they wouldn't dare say that to a customer at the store...unless you look like a little shit, OP. If you do maybe get a friend to go in there and tear some new ones.

>> No.92422

Since when did old navy tag anything? All of their stuff is cheap crap that no one would want to steal.

>> No.92424

>>92286
>>92286
>>92286
>>92286
>>92286
jesus christ the answer is magnets!! have none of you ever worked at a department store?!
>now gtfo

>> No.92436

>>92390
These things contain ink?

Wow. Fucking assholes.

"We're such pricks that if you steal from us, we'd rather have the clothes be utterly ruined and nobody profits, than (heaven forbid!) some poorfag jacks a sweater because he has no money to buy his girl something for christmas, and gets away with it!"

>Fartkings supstn
That they are, captca. That they are.

>> No.92463

>>92436

>steal something
>they are the assholes

LOL

>> No.92468

>>92436
>Hey, come "shop" in our stores, we don't have security! But that's cool, times are apparently hard.

Please, please open a business. I'd love to see your opinion on theft then.

>> No.92484

Get the Dremel

>> No.92538

magnets don't really work

just try and pry the two sides apart with whatever you got, hammer, clamps, whatever

then get some good cutters (hell the ones on the pliers of my multitool work) and cut the metal in between

it's kinda difficult but possible

>> No.92544

ok we have the exact same security tags at work. they open when you hold a very powerfull magnet over the bulbe. sometimes you have to press the pin a bit deeper to release it.

second method is just hacksawing the bulbe off. theres a semi globe (plastic) inside, if you cut clean along the plastic flat piece it'll come off.

>> No.92547

oh and to all faggots who tell you there's ink in them, there not in these.

i cracked open a few that didn't lock properly anymore and theres just a plastic piece and a metal piece that grip the pin. a magnet relaxes it and it comes loose

>> No.93074

>>92273
Fuck off criminal scum

>> No.93111

>>92273
that tag is very easy to remove without damaging the garment
get an utility knife, and a lighter (bic works best)
first, open the window, burnt plastic is NOT healthy
heat the plastic dome shaped thingy with the lighter flame, until it begins to bubble a bit. don't burn it too much or it can melt too much!
quickly grab the utility knife and hack away at the solidifying plastic, it should come off pretty easily. if it hardens, repeat.
once you make a hole through the dome, you can remove the spring inside and a few other metal bits, and the tack should just come right off.

protip: don't force the knife, it's really hard plastic and you could cut yourself

>> No.93522

Use a neodymium magnet on the bottom, and let the pin pop out. Inside all of these tags there is a spring loaded hook with a magnet fixed to it. There are subtle grooves on the pin which are held in place by the hook in the main tag. Placing a magnet on the bulge releases the hook and in doing so the pin.

So ya, a fucking magnet will do the trick.

>> No.93546

..../diy/ making this difficult again

On the other side there's a small round plastic..nub?

Take some wire snips and cut off the plastic till you get to the middle and then take the snips and cut off the middle of the plastic, pushing down far enough till you can see metal.

>> No.93549

>>93546
this is the little nub im talking about, cut around it till you get to the metal point in the middle, then take the cutters and cut the metal point off.

If you just cut it off you'll trigger the device and fuck up the clothes, by removing excess plastic you remove the leverage it causes.

>> No.93551

u need a magnet, thats all the things are u need a magnet on the pin and then push it in/pull it out gently

>> No.93559
File: 21 KB, 476x358, holyfucknub.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

damn thing didnt upload my pic again...

>> No.93618

i just used the angle grinder.

>> No.93628

>>92273
Well, if said clothing tag contains a dye reservoir, heat a needle up with a match, melt through the plastic and drain out the dye.

Your antitheft device can now be removed by the hammer disassembly method.

>> No.93636

Why not just bring the item back with the receipt to prove you bought it, and tell them they forgot to remove the thing?

Unless you actually DIDN'T buy it, and are asking us for help with something you shoplifted.

>> No.93643

I used to work at Kohls and whenever someone brought in a piece of clothing with a tag on it I would just have to remove it, no questions asked.

>> No.93651

get a neodymium magnet and use that

>> No.93679

Customer Service
Contact Us:

By email: Click here to email Old Navy Customer Service
By phone: 1.800.653.6289 1.800.449.4253 (TDD hearing impaired)
By mail: Old Navy Online, 200 Old Navy Lane, Grove City, Ohio 43123-8605

Call first and tell them your problem, they are going to tellyou to go to the store. A friend of mine had this problem, he called and they told him just to cut it, and if that didnt work to take it to the store and they will replace it with no cost.

true story, sorry for bad english.

>> No.93682

>>92273
John? Is that you?

>> No.94151

>>93679
They did not tell him to just cut it. These things usually have dye in them that squirts out, ruining the clothing if the tag is improperly removed.

>> No.94164

Take it in with your recipt, op. Since it was their mistake they will remove it and offer you some store credits for your trouble. True story. Good thing you aren't some faggot shoplifter right?

>> No.94182

>>94164
Are you even fucking paying attention you damn trip fag. Op didnt get his damn receipt. GTFO and lose the damn trip

>> No.94185

When I was a shoplifting scumbag, I liked the melt it method. The end with the knobby bit you can see there, in the dark grey, hold above a lighter until it begins to melt, and the spring should snap through the melted plastic and it should all let go. Assuming it's works like the ones did 3 years ago. Also assuming you are a competent adult and can manage to not burn yourself/your clothes.

>> No.94197

hacksaw it off, takes 10 min and is clean

>> No.94221

use some newspaper or materetal
by putting it round the tag and under it then cut the tag
PS Dont take my word for it.

>> No.94235

Stick it in the freezer for a few hours, then cut it.

>> No.94240

>>94235
This is practical thinking right here.

>> No.96048

Hey here is an idea.

Go back to the store with your receipt and say they made a minor mistake like human beings do from time to time.

Duuuuhhhhh.

Inb4 that had been mentioned as I didn't read thread as I naturally assumed OP was just looking how to be a thief.

>> No.96056

I've pried them off with my leatherman before, takes a few minutes but it can be done.

>> No.96380

>>92436
People who steal one thing because they have some need of it aren't going to steal a $200 coat from a department store.

The anti-theft ink tags are to prevent people from running into a store, grabbing an armful of merchandise, running off, and selling it in a pawn shop or on the streets.

It's not spite, it's a deterrent. Nobody is going to buy obviously stolen ink-stained clothes.

>> No.96390

>ctrl f
>no one has said rubber band

op take a thick rubber band and just start wrapping it around the post. the tension will eventually be enough to pop the two sides apart. either enough for you to pull them off or for you to work in some wire cutters.

also, everyone talking about stealing. a lot of
>>93559
these types don't work at a lot of store since most of them are old and stores are too cheap to replace them.

>> No.96397

>Old Navy
>lol'd

>> No.96439
File: 7 KB, 250x251, [013177].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Buy same hat at old navy
>Switch hats and come back next day
>They take it off
>Come back the next day and return the one you bought
>???
>profit

>> No.96505

really really strong magnet
like you can find in old harddrives for example

>> No.96511

wrap rubber bands around it over and over, it will squeeze the thing off. like wrap around the little metal poker that goes thru the clothes

unless its got ink in it then ur fuked unless you can cut it off

>> No.96518

This. Also you can use dry ice to make sure it's really frozen, then smash it with a hammer. The ink will be solidly frozen.

>> No.96519

I meant that in response to 94235. Intarwebs, how do they work?

>> No.96524

there is no fucking dye in the grey ones. just cut of the nub with a saw or pliers or whatever.

source: saterday job in a store that has the grey knobs, i broke open a few

>> No.96525

>>96518
don't worry there is no dye in the grey ones.

our shop does have ones with dye btw, there's anti freeze in the dye, no freezing >-35 celcius. but the ones with the dye clearly tell there's dye in them or have the vials visible

>> No.96628

There you have way someone removed it and made nice drawing of inner working. http://blog.wuwej.net/2010/02/09/jak-funguji-tvrde-etikety-ochrana-zbozi-proti-kradezi.html .. its czech, but you need images or use google translate

>> No.96906

>>92273

GO BACK TO THE STORE WITH RECEIPT AND GET THEM TO REMOVE IT FOR YOU, RETARD

JESUS YOU DIY FAGS TAKE THIS SHIT TOO SRSLY

>> No.96968

>>96906
read the thread before you respond.

>> No.96996

burn the part with ball bearing.

since it's plastic its very easy and quick if you don't have any strong magnets around.

don't do it inside a shop it will smell bad.

>> No.97046

Wrap both sides in a towel and man handle the shit out of it. Happened to me once. Worked just fine

>> No.97053

>>92287
Sorry, but I don't buy it. There's no way a store employee would forget to remove that anti-shoplifting device AND throw out your receipt.

Quit asking us for advice on how to salvage your shoplifted shit.