[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 58 KB, 650x433, project.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
873367 No.873367 [Reply] [Original]

Im about to start work on pic related, but with two drawers.

I have two big questions.

I want to be able to get this thing out whenever I can, so how do I go about connecting the top piece of plywood while also being able to remove it just by disconnecting it to the base?

Second question is how should I go about treating the wood? I was thinking of something like bed liner on the outside, and carpeting the bottom of the drawers.

>> No.873378

>>873367
you mean remove the entire shebang? screws. counter-sink them.

also, that's a really neat idea.

>> No.873380

>>873378
I'm looking more for something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE83moaK9nU

But to fill out the entire bottom with smaller compartments with hinged lids that also just lift out.

And for the drawers to serve as a storage space for a cheap self airing air matress and bedding. then food etc and fishing poles or w/e for trips out of town or just road trips.

The price is looking to be around 200$.

In the vid he has a really cool drawer system using nylon plastic instead of bearings or wheels so the drawer glides.

>> No.873381

>>873378
also, I guess what I mean is that I can remove the drawers easily, but I was wondering if there was a way to just be able to pry the top plywood piece off. similar to a treasure box.

I just can't for the life of me think of what that is called.

>> No.873435

>>873367
Put legs that drop down to support the drawer when its fully out.

Put rollers on the cab end of the assembly so if you lift up the drawer end an inch or so it'll be on wheels.

Then get some mates to help you pull it out of the bed of the truck. Have more legs on the other end that fold down when its clear of the truck.

Helps with installation and removal of it.

>> No.873510

>>873367

For rollers, if you haven't sourced some already. Use these. I can personally vouch for their quality since the shop I work at does their modification for special orders. The wear parts are all nicely hardened, making it a bitch for me to work on, but they do their job great.

>> No.873513

>>873510
Forgot Link

http://www.amazon.com/ROLLON/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_6179632011?ie=UTF8&node=6179632011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=ROLLON

>> No.873592
File: 56 KB, 552x552, dafuq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>pickup with drawers, camper top and a bed
>windows not covered
>possibly living in vehicle sleeping in it on city streets
>everyone can see inside

>> No.873600

You know how fucking hot it gets in the back of a truck with a cap?

>> No.873625

>>873592

The guy that made it made it for camping, not living in.

>> No.873628

>>873600

Im planning on setting up a solar panel with a small AC unit with a fan. Also fall is coming up.

I plan to camp in this with another person. I already made a cooking box that stores a coleman propane stove. and seasonings and stuff.

The truck I have already has a power inverter in it, but im sure if i fuck with it that will kill the warranty.

>> No.873673

>>873628
>solar panel with a small AC unit with a fan.
Hahahaha, hope you find some mighty large panels.

>> No.873769

>>873673
If you coat the top with solar panels and insulate the bed, it doesn't seem to unreasonable... Of course I also have no idea what I'm talking about.

You can solar power the AC unit on a smart car though, and the cubic footage doesn't seem far off.

>> No.873793

>>873769
>Checks
>600watt small-ish AC
>"the five hours of good sunlight the car sees on an average day would give it an electrical output of at most 0.825 kilowatt-hours."

Well I'll be god damned.

That's only 6 hours of AC a day though, because you'll have losses and won't always have 'good' sun.

>> No.875205

Guy i used to work with had something similar like this (Minus the bed, add more shelves though).

He put wheels on the bottom of it and a way to keep it locked in the bed so it couldnt slide around against the tailgate when driving. He had a cart that he made with it at tailgate height so he could just slide the whole thing out of the bed onto the cart and wheel it around his garage when he needed the whole bed to haul shit. It was actually pretty cool, but im not a fan of camper shells, just have a folding tonneau cover on my truck with some dividers.