[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 3.61 MB, 3264x2448, bicycle (3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
863982 No.863982 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy, first time posting here so im not sure if what im posting belongs here or not.

im basically just asking for ideas how to repair an old bicycle which hasnt been used for more then 20 years.

i have no experience with bicycles so i have no idea how to start but i want to repair it without buying any parts.

im guessing i should start with:
-removing the rust
-shaping new pedals (out of wood would be the easiest option i guess)
- changing the color (gold is not my thing)
- changing tires

as you see i know theoretically what to do but i dont know how to do it.

it would help if you could post your suggestions and ideas.
i'll post all the pics of the bike i have.

>> No.863983
File: 3.40 MB, 3264x2448, bicycle (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here is another pic

>> No.863986
File: 3.51 MB, 3264x2448, Bicycle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the last one

yeah i should also change the saddle somehow ...

>> No.863996

>>863982
You need special tools called cone spanners to do the bearings. If it's been left out for ages you should grease the bearings.

Also it's just a shitty fixie.

>> No.864000

Pretentious hipster bullshit

>> No.864003

>>863982
That is no longer a bike, that is an art installation on the nature of abandonment and dying alone.

If you want a bike, first thing, acquire money. Second thing, look for used bikes on craigslist or whatever. Third thing, once you have a bike that might be salvageable(not that thing), google "sheldon brown" That's one of your best resources for bike stuff. Also youtube.

>> No.864008

>>863996
k thanks, now i know from where to begin

would it be enough to "de-rust" the bearings or would it be safer to use new ones?

i know it's not a special bike but i like it

>>864003
"sheldon brown" i'll look it up right now
im relative new to the "bike-scene" so i don't anything yet

>> No.864009 [DELETED] 
File: 83 KB, 480x640, facingme.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>863982

>> No.864012

>>864003
the bike belonged to the grandfather of my grandfather so yeah, it seams it has been abandomed for quite a few years

>>864009
wth is that?

>> No.864015

>>863982
>Hey /diy, first time posting here so im not sure if what im posting belongs here or not.
>im basically just asking for ideas how to repair an old bicycle which hasnt been used for more then 20 years.
various thoughts....
1. a big problem with old bicycles that are left outside is that rain gets in through the open top end of the seat post, and collects down inside the frame at the bottom bracket and rusts it from the inside out. The FIRST thing to do is take out the bottom bracket and look in there to see how bad the damage is. If it is rusted badly on the inside, the frame is fucked and can't be repaired (or safely used). There is not much rust on the outside so that is a pretty good sign.

2. What you have is a "rod-brake" bicycle. (the front is a rod-brake, and the rear is a coaster-brake) This is a descriptive term giving a good idea of its age, which is maybe 50-75 years. The tires, wheels, (cotter pin) cranks, bearings, brakes and some other parts are totally different than what modern bikes use, so most bike shops won't have parts on hand for it--but you can still get parts online.

3. The pedals don't look original, but you can still get vintage-style parts. MKS (for one company example) still makes rubber-block pedals that are made "old-style".

4. The forks look a bit bent, not much tho. It may be possible to carefully bend them back.

5. It might be better to post this to a vintage bicycle forum. Bikeforums has a vintage forum where people will know where to get parts for it and what to check.

>> No.864016

>>864009
ayyyy

>> No.864022

>>863982

seriously just buy the pedals. you don't want those breaking when you're standing on them.

they're like $8 shipped from china on ebay

you may have a hell of a time pulling out the seatpost from the bike to adjust the height. use lots of penetrating oil - everywhere.

if the chain isn't worn, but is just rusty - put it in a jar of gasoline and flex all the links.

you may be able to reupholster the seat

>> No.864028

>>864015
ok i'll look if the frame is still good.
the bike wasnt outside for so long. my grandparents decided to put it out to decorate the garden a few years ago.

so basically i would need to see if the condition of all the small parts is still ok and then find new tires and pedals?

thanks i'll also go look in the vintage forum

>>864022
yeah i kinda guessed that i need new pedals. i think it would be better to not try to adjust the bike height as i might break something of...

the chain does look really good. i tried rotating the chain and it worked nearly perfect.
is there a special oil for bikes or is it ok to use normal oil?

the seat will be a problem. i have apsolutelly no idea how to fix it.

>> No.864287

>>864008
It costs like 4$ for a pack of 144 ball bearings. You need like 20 or less per wheel.

You can just use lithium grease. Bike stores sell little tubes of grease with fancy additives for like a dollar.

>> No.864289

>>864028
Oil for bikes is wax. I just rub beeswax on my chain and gears. I hear there is some fancy goo you can buy for 20$ though

>> No.864290

>>863996
You can get most cones off and re-tightened with a regular pair of small wrenches. A cone spanner is just an extra thin wrench. The bearings and grease in OP's hubs might not need replacing, those get worn down with use, not time.

>> No.864292

>>864028
> the chain does look really good.

You mean this rusted piece of garbage with broken links?
>>863983

Bike chain isn't that expensive of an item. Around $12 at the low end. You'll also need a "bike chain tool", which goes for about $5.

>> No.864321

Its fucked - daily /n/ user

>> No.864324

>>864321
yeah but it's not a $10 000 road bike. so I think it'll come near a 50$ kmart bike if he spends 50$ on it.

>> No.864339

>>863982
Has it been sitting out in the rain, or in a garage?
If it's been sitting out in the rain, it'll probably need a new chain, it will need new tubes regardless, it will probably need new tires.

>> No.864422

>>864028
For you, assume this is a low-buck project. Too bad; that is quite an old bike based on the front lever brake. They haven't made those in US since pre-WW2, though not sure on rest of world. Assume this is Brit / Danish or some such.

That bike. I'd replace the chain, but if it's turning the rear wheel, you could just oil it (any oil will work, 3-1 oil, motor oil) and run as-is. You probably will need a chain tool; even a chain with a master link will likely be wrong size.

I don't know why you're intent on replacing pedals. They look serviceable. Do they not turn? If not, try oiling them first. Then replace if you can't get them going.

Try putting air in tires. If it holds overnight, great. If not, replace tubes. If tires start tearing up, replace those too.

Seat. Needs replaced... a proper recover isn't easy, and you don't sound that skilled. Alternately just wrap it in a towel and/or cover with one of those aftermarket gel covers they sell at Walmart. For that matter, WM will sell rest of stuff bike needs (new seat, tires, tubes, pedals, chain, chain tool) so might as well just get everything. Get a set of grips while you're there.

Google Sheldon Brown; his website goes over all these repairs.

Also, the front fork appears bent. In a bike of this vintage, fork and frame can be bent back by a reputable shop (I've done this successfully on this vintage bike with clamps and bottle jack on sturdy workbench). Should ride fine as-is though.