[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 74 KB, 479x720, Ambient room.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
85816 No.85816 [Reply] [Original]

Hello everyone, I'm looking for ideas and tips on making my room feel like an ambient space portal type thing. Along the lines of the picture I've posted, Has anyone done something similar to their rooms and if so what things did you include?

>> No.85883
File: 82 KB, 500x333, 1318056624439.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sorry I only have more pictures

>> No.85885
File: 102 KB, 500x332, 1318051556204.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

and another.

>> No.85886

all I see are christmas lights and lots of light-textured fabrics.
doesn't seem to tough

>> No.85888

first thought
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epo9hr-heQM

but it doesn't really have a place in your thread.

>> No.85891
File: 3 KB, 126x126, 1313094800761s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Op, I shall give you a description of my room.
I've thoroughly pimped it out when I had a surplus of money. Following post shall be Description

>> No.85894

>Homedepot
buy ceiling/wall hooks
put is ceiling
>fabric store
buy a huge sheet of a light drape like fabric
hook fabric into ceiling hooks and around bed
>idk homedepot /online?
buy a strand of leds like christmas lights all one solid color
hang from hooks and around drape
-paintwalls
-accent wall or a pattern/ picture somewhere
- change lights in cieling to colored ones ( keep them all 1 color)
get a lamp with a normal light in it fpr reading so tou dont strain your eyes with the colored lights
and decorate idk
sounds like fun

>> No.85902
File: 4 KB, 126x126, 1319346720015s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not so sure as to why I described it as pimping it out, but It's pretty damn amazing for me.
>Changed doorknob to Nice glass one
>Door on right side of room, You walk in, Highish ceiling (15ft or so), Bed in Far right corner
>Shrouds of White-Navy blue alternating beads cover perimeter of bed, Hangs Transluscent white Sheets over top of bed (From bedpost corners)
Ceiling fan, Nice Blades that are rainbow striped with Almost LED lights. Can't Describe them but they give a very pure and light color.
>4 Lamps on the side walls about half way up, 2 (1perside) are Blacklights and the other Two I usually alternate with LED lights or color of choice lights. Diagnol Light and dark grey alternating stripes That alternate directions throughout the room. Nearly Pure white Carpet. Almost light greyish color.
>Black pillows with green and gray digital looking stripes going around in Diagnol zig-zags. Different Sheets from time to time. Usually White ones with Thin blue Strips spaced out that go vertically. I best describe them as looking like lazers.
>Mainly useless wires and Circuit boards around my wall with Occasional beads Or mirrors (Not hung, but Glued to the wall. Haha)
>And a big mirror On the wall Opposite of my wall.
Black lights lamp on the Side of my bed.
>Alot more features in my room but.........Yeah.

>> No.85911

If you layer it
hooks
lights
sheets

it might not look as tacky as christmas lights hanging in your room

>> No.85991

>>85902
>>85894
Thanks a lot for the ideas, I'm writing them down in a notebook. Where did >>85902 buy your supplies?

>> No.86015

these photos make me feel really claustrophobic. kinda like a teenagers smokey bedroom who's thumb-tacked sheets and fairy lights around the bed.

OP if you want a classy chillout portal, ditch as much furniture as possible (i assume you're talking about a bedroom, just leave your bed- maybe even get a low bed). anything that contrasts with your portal-look will just make it tacky.
if you're gonna use the sheer nets, you could use a draping method similar to my picture. cover your window with the drapes too but dont block out the natural light- during the daytime, the sunlight will help you chillout. use various dimmed uplights or the fairylights for chilled light in the evening. just have a pile of books and a hidden stereo

>> No.86016
File: 56 KB, 800x600, RWtent6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>86015
lolol here's my pic

>> No.86122
File: 61 KB, 480x722, Happy-new-year-New-DIY-Astro-Star-Astrostar-Laser-Projector-Cosmos-Light-Lamp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was at a party once where the whole house was pushed out side for some fireworks. As this distraction was going on, the hostess broke open a few glow sticks and splattered them every where. The she turned on every light in the house. Every one came back in to a well lit room after watch fire balls. Then the main circuit breaker was pulled plunging everyone into darkness and stars. Our eye's hadn't adjusted yet and the only source of light was this intense glowing nebula surrounding every thing. Awesome effect. The trippers bugged right out, good times. This isn't a permanent fix but one heck of a good effect, and a ok story.
The motor that turns the plate in a old microwave, usually runs on 110v and move real slow, could make for a nice animated star lamp.

>> No.86130

>>86122
oh jesus i need to make one of those.

how ?

>> No.86135

>>86122
i made one of these rotating star projector things and for some reason in total darkness it makes me so dizzy its unreal

>> No.86140
File: 316 KB, 465x700, 1311539402938.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.86141
File: 103 KB, 400x502, 1311540712046.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.86143
File: 93 KB, 800x533, 8475deb0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.86325

>>86140
Holy crap! I like this room. What are these on the floor? Is it carpeting or some sort of cloth material? It looks pretty nice...

>>86135
Do tell more sir...specifics of some sorts? etc.

>> No.86358

>>86325
Rotates via motor from VCR rewinder. I do not have any electrical knowhow so the vcr rewinder was basically intact and I rewired the button to start it to the project box that enclosed the bottom half. I used some lego mindstorms wheels with the rubber torn off to be like a gear to turn the whole thing a lot slower than the motor spun. motor was not silent but wasnt extremely loud. you could probably use lego mindstorms for the whole rotation part.

the star part was made from a plastic playskool bowling ball from the thrift store that I drilled holes in using one of these as a guide
http://skymaps.com/store/cat04.html
there was a certain amount of error in using the 2D map on the 3D surface but in the end the constellations were still noticeable

I mounted one of those LED light bulbs inside the bowling ball. I can't post pictures because its at my nieces house.

if you want a way easier option
http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Twilight-Constellation-Night-Turtle/dp/B000BNQC58
works great!

>> No.86568

I'm a guy. Is it gay that I actually would like a room like this? :/

>> No.86569

>>86568
na believe in yourself

>> No.86625

>>86568
It might just mean you're a teenager or in your early 20s.

>> No.86694

>>86140
pagan altar? haha, thats awesome. nice to know im not the only one xD

>> No.86719

all those sheets surrounded by fragile little electric lights. potential fire hazard if so little as a nick in one of the cords. sheets golfing in flames.

which is why i would build it and unplug it before bed.

>> No.86768

>>86130
>>86135
I am building a star projector right now, in fact. It uses LEDs controlled by a microcontroller, which will let me adjust the brightness of each star separately. I am using this to make them twinkle independently of each other.

I am using mostly white LEDs, but there will be some RGB ones in there to do celestial bodies that have distinctive colors, like Mars or Aldebaran. I've done some experimenting on other effects, like nebulae and making a moon with phases. The next think I will be working on is making it all move so the stars drift across the sky.

I'll need some separate moving parts for meteors and aurora, though.