[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 225 KB, 800x1066, 79.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
820880 No.820880 [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys /o/ here. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone had any good moonshine recipes? Ones that could be made over a stove would be awesome but all are welcome.

>> No.821090

>>820880
also interested in info

>> No.821104

I think I have an infographic, but I can't access it right now, I'll try to find and post it tomorrow

>> No.821114

>>821104
>protip: Infographics from this site have a tendency to kill you, no joke.

>> No.821121

Get a rotovap

>> No.821122

>>820880
No recipe here, just some info (without graphics, sauces provided instead).

2.75 gallons per bushel
>http://www.ilcorn.org/ethanol/studies-reports/profile/corn-ethanol

You'll need a still, not that hard to make.
>http://m.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Whisky-Still/

Discard the heads (first bit of a run) to get rid of the methanol (and thereby avoid blindness). Also discard the tails (last bit of a run) because it may have an adverse effect on the flavor.
>http://www.grappa.com/eng/grappa_dettaglio.php/titolo=the_distillation_and_the_cutting_of_head_heart_and_tail/idpagina=31/idnews=1/idsezione=4

Courtesy of your local google-fu fella.

Anybody got decent recipes? For example, how much sugar and water to corn to make mash? How long to ferment, and in what conditions, before distillation? I could google all day, but we haven't had a moonshiners thread in a while. An intelligent conversation, with people speaking from personal experience, brings a subject to life. Let's do this.

>> No.821124

>>821122 here, i posted about 40 pages from a foxfire book in another thread, covers building a still... Lemme find it... https://archive.moe/diy/thread/708099/

>> No.821175

>>821121
sure it will be fast, but damn pricey, unless you work in a lab :P

>> No.821186

>>821175
Expensive, but not the correct tool for the job.

>> No.821231
File: 53 KB, 400x250, sumerinhere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It is NOT summer.

>> No.821296
File: 675 KB, 577x1024, IMG_7084.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here.

I was thinking about trying out this recipe since it's on a stove top. I'm just looking to mess around with some things until I find what I like.

I had a friend send me this recipe and he said it turned out pretty good. Its just we haven't had real moonshine before.

>> No.821304

>>821296
This isn't really "making" moonshine. You're not actually distilling mash in this recipe. It's kind of like a liquer, or flavoring ready-made alcohol. You can just steep herbs and fruit in Everclear and do similar stuff.

>> No.821343

>>820880
you can literally get blinded by this shit, what the fuck man don't get us killed

>> No.821383

>>821343
atf misinformation.

The stuff that blinds you is backwoods african stuff that they mix up in old gas cans.

>> No.821392

>>821383
>ethanol is poisonous to the central nervous system and may cause blindness, coma, and death

>> No.821434

>>821392
>*** Poisoning ***
>If you drink too much water your brain will swell and rupture and kill you

>you
>the point
>fucking missed it.

>> No.821436

>>821343
Oh fucking Christ on a coconut, just don't drink the heads.

>> No.821480

>>821392
Ethanol = Alcohol. You fucking moron.

>> No.821661
File: 469 KB, 1127x1590, mini_explained.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you're welcome.

>> No.821689

Methanol will do all the nasty stuff even in small amounts. If you're drinking moonshine and your vision starts to go, vomit and hospital. You probably wont go blind and die, just have liver damage.
methanol poisons you if you have too much compared to ethanol. This is why homebrewing is pretty safe (although, as always, pounding a dozen bottles will still put you at risk for regular alcohol poisoning from the ethanol).
Distilling can cause problems because methanol boils off at a slightly lower temperature than ethanol, so the first jar or two would have a much higher percentage of methanol and will kill you.
>>821436 Will help. A lot. But is not a guarantee. Also throw away the last jar or two because there can be other nasty things (depending on what other bacteria got in the mix) that have a higher evaporation point than alcohol. That's why you use a good thermometer and watch the needle carefully while distilling, and why you distill into jars rather than another big pot/jug.
Ethanol is actually a cure for methanol poisoning (although there are better ones) because while it's in your system it prevents the methanol from metabolizing and it gets spat out through your kidneys. All moonshine will have a little methanol in it, it's when the balance gets off that people die.

Also, methanol is what you get from cellulose, it's also called wood alcohol, and cheap bastards will spike the moonshine with it because "it's cheaper" and "booze is booze". Pretty sure it's what kills most people is either that or people mixing up the mash with too much cheap cellulose in it.
Um, last tip that i've heard is to put charcoal in the jars. Activated charcoal will help filter out any particulates or impurities and make it taste better. Some pro moonshiners back in the day would add a piece of charred oak or maple so that while it was stored the moonshine would age (like it would in barrels) and absorb a little flavor from the wood and taste a little more like whiskey or bourbon.

>> No.821713

I like how people think that distilling is even remotely dangerous. Methanol is not magically created in the distillation process. All of the methanol is already present in the mash from the fermentation process. There shouldn't be enough methanol is any standard mash to harm you. Every bit of anecdotal evidence you've ever heard is from prohibition times where shiners cut their liquor with pure methanol to make more money.

You should discard the heads of the shine because it tastes like shit, but if you want to down that shot, you'll be totally unharmed by it unless you're doing dozens of them a day.

Stop spreading misinformation people.

>> No.821715

>>821689
>methanol boogeyman

Stop.

>> No.821739

>>821231
Just because it isn't Solstice yet, doesn't mean it isn't summer. Halfway between equinox and solstice is the change of seasons.

>> No.821768

>>821434
also
>ethanol
not
>methanol
fucking shit, never heard of regular ethanol blinding anyone.

>> No.821773

>>821231
It's been summer since Beltane, dumbass.

>> No.821977

>>821768
The post you quoted says nothing about ethanol, or methanol.. Dont know what you are trying to say.

>> No.822099

>>821773
Merry meet. Got a good Mead recipe? Looking for something to have ready at Samhain.