[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 42 KB, 965x966, guitar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
811012 No.811012 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/

I'm planning on painting a guitar I have, and I wanted to see if ya'll have any advice or whatnot. I've already sanded the body down to the wood, and my current plan is to use spray paint in the form of automotive lacquer for the primer (2 coats), paint (5ish coats), and clear coat (4ish coats), with 400 grit sanding between coats of primer and paint, and 1500 in between clear coats. This sound like a good plan? Thanks, boo.

Pic related is the guitar in question.

>> No.811015

look... all I can say is that until you've tried doing this it's not quite as easy as reading it would make it seem... my advice, go find a sacrificial board, and try finishing that first.. if your gonna fuck it up.. do it on something you don't have to sand it off of to get it right... basically the best way to learn this is to google it... which you've done... and then just try it...

also doing this in the most dust free place you can find will help...

no amount of refinishing will make that guitar not "le edgy" .... sorry to have to tell you that...

>> No.811017

>>811015
Neat. But do my steps sound decent? I've painted an entire car before with good results, I'm only new to painting wood. Also I've cut down the edges on the guitar to make it look moderately not-shitty. It's basically a Strat body now.

>> No.811020

>>811017
sounds okay to me, it's like any painting, the finer grit and more layers you do the better it comes out.. the limit is on how much patience you have for it... also maybe 400, then on the last before the 1500...

but otherwise sounds okay.. never got fantastic results myself, but I have little patience for it and wasn't to worried about getting the glass smooth finish.

>> No.812263
File: 14 KB, 251x218, Im confus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How do I primer?

>> No.812368

>>812263
>How do I primer?

Just like paint. It even looks like paint. Ask your paint store for advice for selecting and applying one.

>> No.812522

>>812368

Not that anon, but if I want to spray a maple headstock a solid color how much prep do I need to do before laying down primer?