[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 2.62 MB, 4128x2322, 20150408_183527.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
795923 No.795923 [Reply] [Original]

May be out of place, but the strap on my slippers finally broke off...and I want to repair it. I was thinking of using rubber cement....but the more I think about it, the more I'm not confident that it will hold it together. Do you guys think rubber cement will hold it together or should I try something else?

>> No.795928

>>795923
That's not really repairable. It will break again.

That said, you could hand sew it back together, then make a 3" wide patch for back out of canvas or denim. Glue patch on underside with gorilla glue. Clamp and let dry.

>> No.795937

cannot repair with glue etc. unless it is just to display on a shelf. if you actually want to use/wear them again you will need to sew/stitch some sort of fabric or other flexible material over the break. preferably something that wraps around both the top and bottom.

>> No.795940

>>795928
I would recommend contact/rubber cement instead of gorilla glue, and make sure to really rough up the mating surfaces. But yeah OP you're pretty fucked, small things like that aren't really repairable.

>> No.795941

>>795937
This. I'd sew two patches, one on top and one beneath. Give them at least a couple inches overlap on each side of the break.

>> No.795961

>>795940
I've had really poor luck fixing any part of a shoe with rubber cement. Gorilla glue was invented to build shoes... I've had much better luck with it in repairs.

>> No.795966

>>795961
I don't know, I feel like the expanding foam aspect of it is not appropriate in this case. Either way, I have personally had lots of success repairing my shoes with denim pants scrap and 2hr marine grade epoxy.

>> No.796373

>>795923
Use rapid fix! That shit fixes everything. The hold is stronger than steel if done correctly. Pretty damn impressive shit. I'm a diesel mechanic and use it all the time on drive belts etc.

>> No.796555

ShoeGoo

>> No.796709

>>795923
dont waste your time buy new ones

>> No.796730

>>795941
>>795928

What these guys said. stitches, combined with wide cloth patch, combined with proper adhesive is the only way to do this.

As far as adhesive I can't say how effective gorilla glue is, but one option might be superglue (surprisingly).

That stuff is insanely durable - at one point i used it to glue rubber squares cut from a bicycle tire onto the feet of my leaf-spring stilts for extra traction.

Now imagine the stresses that these 2x3 inch patches of rubber had to endure while glued to a stilt used for running 20mph, and jump over cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6pU9VaFsZ8