[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 33 KB, 235x158, 1413167261789.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
710335 No.710335 [Reply] [Original]

Looking to start up my own basic toolbox/toolkit instead of always going to my dads to borrow his randomly mixed screw drivers and whatnot.

What are some basic tools that you would recommend for me to begin with? And what brands of screw drivers etc would you recommend?

Mainly it gunna be for basic stuff like opening/assembling /g/adgets, pc building and what not.

Casual use basically as im not that much of a handyman but would like the tools to do so if i were to give it a go

Bonus points: Australian brands or Australian stores. Ideally i want to spend <$50 for now, I may be willing to spend up to $100 if you recommend some fun stuff

But yeah what are the essential tools to get in that price range

>> No.710347

Silver tape and a can of wd-40 is all you'll ever need.

>> No.710353

>>710347
Get a real lubricant.

>> No.710354

>>710353
ainsley.jpg

>> No.710355

>I work on metric motorcycles mostly so note how everything pretty much is in MM. so when I say "size 10" thats 10mm.

somethings that have served me well..?

wire brushes. I just buy the steel ones that are size of tooth brushes.

good set of wirecutters/crimper combo tool.

maybe a soldering iron? cheap for now.

I also bought some fucking like 9 dollar screw driver kit thing from wallyworld that has actually served me well, mostly the torque bits. and it comes in an OKAY quality box. the latch sucks, but the bits haven't stripped out yet. and its nice to have like 50 some different bits/sizes so you're always using the appropriate screw driver head for the screw you're trying to get out, using too small, or too large of a bit is 98% of the time the reason screw heads strip.

also maybe a set of JIS screw drivers if you expect you will be working on metric stuff a lot

Tin snips - cause they're cheap. like 7 dollars for some china ones from ace hardware. good enough for light work like cutting tin cans or computer casing, chicken wire, stuff like that.

decent hammers.. get 1 claw hammer, get 1 ball peen hammer. and one finishing hammer.

Anything to measure with. Speed squares/yard sticks/rulers/tape measures/levels bigger the better. cause you can never have too much length for measuring shit, but you can always have too little.

electrical tape and shrink wrap.

A good set of Allen keys. I wouldn't go wallyworld brand allen keys, nor would I go HF either.. I have bad experience with them being under sized, or just straight up breaking. for the best quality and cheapest. Lowes "kobalt" allen key sets are pretty damn good, if you want something with a decent warranty - go with craftsman set.

>> No.710356

>>710353
Or just use some motor oil, 5w-30 will do just fine for anything

>> No.710361

>>710356
this reminds me as well.

BLUE LOCTITE.

a thing of CA glue "super glue"

cheap hot glue gun, with slow cooling glue sticks.

also PB blaster, like 6 bucks I think for a pack of 2 at ace hardware as well. LOOK for the dual pack, because when I bought mine, the dual pack cost just as much as a single can. WTF ace.

>> No.710362
File: 70 KB, 640x427, 4331e433-949a-47c4-826e-ac82694e8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>710335

You guys have SP tools out there, just get those if you want a nice set. They're similar to snap-on as far as warranty but don't cost quite as much.

I think they even have some starter kits if I remember correctly.

FPV related.

>> No.710368

>>710356
>>710355
>>710361
Hi namefags!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, we the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a name when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your name when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a name when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>> No.710370 [DELETED] 

>>710368
>implying the letter S is a name
>trying to "preserve" anonymous image-board
>doesn't post an image.
>not accepting times have changed and nows are now an option for a reason.

>new-fag baiting this hard.

3/10 for making me reply.

>> No.710392

every time you borrow a tool, make a mental note to buy that tool. it really depends on what you use. we can't tell you what tools you use the most faggot. this should be obvious.

in b4 every fag rolls in to spin a yarn about their favorite tools and brands.

>> No.710443

>>710347
>wd 40
>not aero kroil
it fucking up

get a Milwaukee 11 in 1 screwdriver
get a husky bit driver set
get a dedicated #2 Phillips
get a set of good precision screwdrivers($10 to $15 price range)
get a pair of small channel locks(channel lock or husky/kobalt or craftsman brands)
get a small fiberglass claw hammer
electric tape
cheap non contact voltage tester(idiot light)
wire nuts
1 3/4 coarse thread dry wall screws
Teflon tape
ripping bar(L shaped prybar with slots for ripping out nails)

that's a solid set up you can tackle most home matainence with

>> No.711115

>>710443
This

>> No.711133

Just buy what you need for whatever you're doing. If you buy a bunch of tools at once there's a 100% chance you'll never use them.

>> No.711135

>>710368
If a person desires to post something with a name in lieu of anon so be it. Why are you making such a ridiculous issue of this.

>> No.711136

>>711135

The answer to your question is literally in that post.

>> No.711139

>>710368
If a person desires to post something with a name in lieu of anon so be it. Why are you making such a ridiculous issue of this.

>> No.711147

As a /diy/ guy you should always have a Multitool. If you don't you should. Hell you should have one in that toolbox you assembling as well.

>> No.711148

>>711147
>name faggotry
>multitool
>inb4 pro/vs anti multitool thread
I have a Wave and I fukken love it, but I'd hesitate to recommend it to someone on a budget. Individual tools are cheaper and sturdier for their cost. Multitools give you mobility and convenience, but even if you have the money it's really up to individual preference.

>> No.711190

>>711148
skeletool master race here.

but wave's not to terrible

>> No.711192

>>710368
Jesus christ fuck off.

>> No.711199

>>711192
Oh, so you ARE actually a complete faggot who has no idea how to anonymous image board. I thought you were just being a faggot for the sake of it.

By all means, keep name fagging, you are clearly the sort of dipshit who needs to be hidden.

>> No.711205

>>711199
Haha, yeah, this. This is the faggot that's bumping >>711144 (OP), fuck him.

>> No.711215

>>711199
>>711192
>>711139
>>711205
You derailed the thread. Thanks retards. You couldn't leave well enough alone.

>> No.711219

>>711215
>>711139
>>711205

see
>>710368

As it always does, all the drama in this thread started when someone namefagged.

If you wish to garner e-fame, there is a neat site called facebook which lets you post whatever you want against your name. People can like, share, and even despond directly to your original, cool, and thought provoking insights, and express their relief that they can see an account that they can follow and worship.

Here, information is all that matters. If your ego is such that you absolutely must put a name on your posts, might I again suggest the former site (and maybe re-evaluate how you view yourself). We don't give a fuck who you are, we only care what you are capable of, and what info you can bring to the table. By all means if you wish to use a name to ID yourself on a given topic (like bunkerfag, vandweller and EEMC do), do so, but only at these times. If you insist in putting a name onto every inane fucking thing you say, expect rage.

/2c

>> No.711221

>>710335
OP the most practical way to obtain a useful set of tools without breaking the bank is to buy them as you need them. We get a lot of "what's the basic set of tools I need to /diy/?" threads, but it's completely dependent on what the hell you want to do.

>> No.711231

>>710368
I read this in the voice of that annoying bitch in Harry Potter who always wore pink

>> No.711233

Buy tools as you need them. I could tell you to get a set of Torx screwdrivers because I use them all the time, but you might never need them yourself. If you're borrowing stuff all the time, just note the ones you borrow more often than others.

>> No.711236

>>711233
>torx
Do you have any suggestions? I'm using a Husky set where you can store the bits in the handle. It's served me well, but I only really use 2 sizes so they're showing a bit of wear. I'd like to eventually get a set of Wihas, but the cost is hard to justify.

>> No.711257
File: 7 KB, 287x175, nice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>711219
>>710368
> All these trufax.
> All dem butthurt namefags.
> Pic related.

Meanwhile;

> Everyone suggesting buying tools as needed.
Pic also related. Planning a project should always include consideration of tools you'll need. You can pick them up while you're purchasing materials. This is exactly how I built my tool kit, and I have not needed to buy a new tool for over a year. Apparently I now have every tool I need for the hobbies I do, and it happened with no noticeable pain on my wallet or state of mind.

>>711236
Forget brand names, just go for cost at this point. a $5 tool that you use 5 times over the course of three years is a far better investment than an expensive tool sitting gathering dust. If you find you keep breaking a specific tool, then you can start looking for good names in that particular category. Likewise, if you suddenly find you're using your $5 soldering iron daily instead of monthly, it might be time to invest in a better one before your cheapo fucks out on you when you need it most.

Again, this is how I built my tool kit. After about 9 years I have only needed to replace a power drill (settled on a Milwaukee after witnessing /diy/'s raging boner for them) and have replaced all my drills and other cutting tools for name brands (Frost for drilling, Sandvik for cutting). I also got a new electric screwdriver after I started a job where I needed quality, stepped up to a Panasonic EY7410. I work on the road fixing medical equipment, this driver see's about 4 hours of use a day, the battery lasts a week between charges and it has a good solid clutch and electric stop. Based screwdriver is based.

>> No.711261 [DELETED] 

>>711228
+1 Panasonic, just finished a rant about one of their lekky screwdrivers here >>711257, for a brand that I used to associate with mid-tier consumer electronics, they sure as hell make a solid powertool. Driver in question is close to three years old and while it has been cared for, it certainly has not had a gentle life. Battery life is still outstanding and the hinge where it flexes still feels tight and smooth. The clutch ring is similarly fresh after a whole fuckload of use and adjustments. My experiences with this tool alone would make me happy to drop coin on a Panasonic power tool, regardless of price point.

>>711231
> Look mum! I'm rebelling!
You're so adorable "namefaggingnow".

>> No.711324
File: 52 KB, 129x111, 577c5ded-5dce-4442-a9d2-fdf4bc587.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>711257

I'd agree with this. Buy the cheaper shit as needed. If you're using it all the time maybe spring for the nicer one when the cheap on breaks.

I work on automotive shit all the time so I've got some nicer sockets and a snap-on ratchet. Most of my tools for household chores are the cheaper ones though as I rarely use them.

>> No.711339

>>711236

http://www.amazon.com/Boxer-Pcs-Precision-Screwdriver-PK30/dp/B000FGQ1G6/

This is what I have and it's working out alright so far.

Anything else I've needed is kind of specialized and cheaper to buy as needed rather than trying to find a set with it in it if they even exist.

>> No.712989

>>711257
There's a caveat on that. Cheap shit like craftsman screwdrivers have the potential to royally fuck up your screws and such. Splurging on some nice german or japanese drivers can save dozens of potential headaches.

>> No.713046

>>712989
The best way to evaluate a screwdriver is to bring some screws along and see how it fits.

The best screwdriver I own is a noname #0 Philips that fits laptop screws like a glove. It can take out screws that other "precision" screwdrivers have stripped.

I got it by trying every #0 Philips in the shop, and seeing which one fit laptops the best.

(You'd think they'd all be the same, because Philips is a well-defined standard, but for some reason it's only the screw heads that are identical. Screwdrivers vary wildly, for no reason I can discern).

>> No.713048

>>713046
For what ever reason, even if half of /diy/ hates
>multitools
my Leatherman Wave's #1-2 screwdriver is one of the best damn ones I've ever used in terms of fit. Obviously it was a little lacking in reach though but it held into every damn screw I wanted.