[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 11 KB, 300x271, 31-BC8T0tvL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
681446 No.681446[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey I know there is glow in the dark pigment that glows gets its power from light over the day but what about from heat. anyone know anything like that.

>> No.681449

>>681446
well thats how lightbulbs work

>> No.681452

I mean a pigment smart ass thanks for not being useful at all

>> No.681461
File: 3.02 MB, 250x184, 1398840783244.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>681446
No. In order to get the Phosphorescence effect you need to have the electron in a high excited state (about the same excitation energy as visible light). Normally objects absorb light and emit it back out very fast. But for some materials there is a state below the excited state and above the ground state that can have a long lifetime. This means it takes longer to emit the light. In order to get to this state between the excited and ground the electron has to lose energy (small amount of heat).

So you can't get a Phosphorescence effect from low temperature heat for 2 reasons i can think of:
1. the amount of heat required would melt or breakdown the material (temp of the sun).
2. the light radiation of low heat is less than visible light and therefore can't fall back down to the ground state by releasing a photon of visible light energy.

basically your input is too low of energy to get a output of visible energy

If someone knew of such a thing it would probably be top secret IR cameras for the military.

>> No.681463

This is the nearest thing I know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoluminescence
Too bad heat is only used to release previously stored energy. It's used in radiation dosimeters.

Heating shit to incandescence might be your only practical way.

>>681461
There are materials which can absorb multiple low energy photons and then release one higher energy photon. Not that I've heard about anything which would do what OP wants.

>> No.681483

>>681452
You'll have to think about why they don't just use this magical pigment for lightbulbs if it even exists.
>Lightbulb Incandescent Effect
>resistive wire is superheated by electron flow
>glows bright over time
>wires with small cross-sectional area are more resistive, so all filaments are super thin
>loses mass over time due to being superheated
>gets dimmer and dies after losing too much cross sectional area
If there were a better way I'm sure someone would be using it.

>> No.681505

>>681483
Possible and practical are two very different things. Actually, you remind me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candoluminescence

Most likely not what OP wants, though.

>> No.681509

>>681446
What do you need this for?

>> No.681606
File: 1.04 MB, 2592x1936, 057.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I find all these replies telling you that You can't get a glow pigment that's activated by heat kind of funny.

I use this glass that's charged and glows when exposed to Heat, Electricity, Solar radiation and Black Light.

I'm a glass worker, I have this beautiful "Glow in the dark" Borosilicate glass. It gets and holds a charge from a variety of sources, Including Heat, electricity and Solar radiation, Black lights super charge it for a really long, powerful glow.

>> No.681607
File: 349 KB, 1024x680, marbles_1-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>681606
Sorry about the repeat in statements, my captcha fucked up and then made me re-write the post...what it didnt show me was the previously written post was still there...lurking invisibly.

>> No.681842

>>681463
any material can absorb multiple photons. it just get extremely unlikely. you need a high intinsity laser to even get a measurement with high grade equipment, and thats only 2 photons absorbed at the same time. It get highly unlikely the more photons . Now since the op can only deal with IR. you would have to absorb maybe 3-5 photons at once to get to the visible band.

>> No.681849

>>681607

t-these things...

>> No.681910

>>681606
Heat and electricity?
I don't believe it. I want sources.
Where do you buy this stuff from?

>> No.681945
File: 993 KB, 2592x1936, 058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>681910
http://www.eu-glass.com/Glow_Light_Glass.html

"The rods are less dense than traditional boro so you’ll get more glow for your buck!

It can be charged by light, black light, heat and electricity.

They contain non-toxic ingredients allow you to sell this to your customers with no worries. "

By the way, these weren't glowing because of light charge, this late at night, I took them out of the kiln(1050 degrees) and when I hit them with the heat from my torch they glow so intensely that you can see them glowing in day light.

>> No.681947
File: 22 KB, 392x296, thermophotovoltaic emi.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>681446
You can, but due to thermodynamics the colors you can produce must be present in black body radiation.

In other words, you have to get the pigment really hot in order to get color in the visible spectrum. One can do this more efficiently if one has a selective thermal emitter that preferably emits in a narrow band of spectrum like the pic related of a thermophotovoltaic system. But that still requires you to get the material pretty hot.
However, if you have a temperature difference and not just heat you can do much more. A simple way to generate light from heat is to take a seebeck(NOT PELTIER) generator and hook it up to an LED. While this is not a pigment, it gets the job done and doesn't require high temperatures, just a big enough temperature difference.

>> No.681956

>>681945
>>It can be charged by light, black light, heat and electricity.
Bullshit, if this was the case the thermophotovoltaic people would be using it.

One can't generate light that differs from blackbody radiation much without a temperature difference, otherwise you could make a perpetual motion machine of the second type.

What you have described is probably thermoluminescence, or releasing previously stored energy in the form of light.

>> No.681958
File: 985 KB, 1359x1271, 008.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>681956

>>the heat I'm applying is in the range of 5000 degrees.

I'm Only saying what I have experience with bud. I know for fact that when I take a bar of this glass out of the kiln it's got that light faint glow to it seen in the picture. When I hit it with my flame, it intensifies greatly. I'm not here to make wild claims of perpetual motion crap, I'm just sayin' I got this glass in my hands that glows when I do any 1 of 3 things(I haven't tried the electricity charge they claim)

>pic related

>> No.682003

kilns and torches produce light as well as heat, so it isnt necessarily the heat that charges the glass, it could be run-of-the-mill fluorescence.