[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 73 KB, 1600x1200, ABCD0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
67002 No.67002 [Reply] [Original]

This is my ceiling, water leaked from it almost every rainy day, the roof was fixed some weeks ago, so currently we're in the process of fixing the ceiling.

I cleaned it with bleach, waited for it to dry, and then applied some patching plaster, but these yellow stains appeared after a day or two (it didn't even rain).

Any idea of what could this be and how to repair it?

>> No.67009

Likely it's mold. Bleach won't do much good, which is why apartments are not allowed to just bleach mold outbreaks. Your best option is to cut out the damaged section and replace it with fresh drywall.

>> No.67013

>>67009
Our ceiling isn't made with drywall, I'm not quite sure what's it made of, can you put drywall in just part of the ceiling or will I have to replace it all?

>> No.67016

>>67009
My mom thinks it might be rust from the gutter, which we can't replace it's fixed or something.

>> No.67049

>>67009
this

Also, it may not be dry. Water generally takes a while to seep through, so the roof was most likely leaking before you noticed it inside. More than likely, the underlying plaster is still wet as would be any wood next to it.

You can drill a bit into it and see if it is still damp, or if you have an attic that you can access, go up and check.

>> No.67198

my moneys on it being A. mold or B. water that was already there before being patched seeping through. ofc this has already been stated.

if you have this sort of problem I would recommend replacing the damaged area completely. it's going to be either sheet rock or drywall more than likely. if you really arent sure, cut out a small piece of the damaged area, take it to your local home depot with measurements of what size you need, and say "I need this", those guys are pretty helpful.

from that point youll know what you need, and can easily buy it or go home and bargain hunt on CL etc

>> No.67202

If you are happy that the roof is fixed and nothing is leaking, paint it with an oil based sealer/primer. Wait a week or so to make sure that has fixed it then paint over with celing paint as normal.

>> No.67465

Killz brand paint