[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 18 KB, 803x568, Bedroom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
66801 No.66801 [Reply] [Original]

Hello there /diy/.
Due to some undesirable events happening, I have moved back in with my mother until I start my apprenticeship (in plumbing which I'm looking forward to!).
Unfortunately, I have the smallest room in the house and was wondering if the were some creative ways to optimize the little space I have.

Here is a terrible picture I made in paint of the basic layout with measurements.
Not to scale either.
Oh and it's a fucking box room.

ALSO, small room general thread? Share ideas and perhaps pictures if you feel like it.

>> No.66803
File: 298 KB, 425x640, 1319981619519.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumping with this rather pleasant looking small room.

>> No.66805

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAa6bOWB8qY

>> No.66808

Think three dimensionally. Stack things on top of others. There is a lot of space generally wasted towards the wall/ceiling joint. Also, right below desks. You need some space for legs, but under the table, where it joints the back of the desk (or wall), you really never use that space.

>> No.66807

>>66805
I love that furniture but it's a little out of my price range.
I was thinking more stuff that I can make myself, this being /diy/ and all.

>> No.66810

>>66807
>buy
>make

I was expecting questions on how to make them yourself. Son, I am disapoint.

>> No.66813

>>66808
I'm doing that at the moment but it's unsightly. Functionality is key here but I don't want my room to look like a complete dump.

>>66810
That would be nice too.
Forgive me dear anon.

>> No.66827
File: 69 KB, 385x500, il_430xN.65377216.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bumping with random diy things.

>> No.66828

>>66805
I would never be able to leave my house if I had furniture like that. I would spend every day rearranging stuff.

OP, if your bed isn't already lofted, it's a pretty good way to recover some space. I have a lofted bed with a desk and some shelves underneath.

>> No.66829

>>66828
I actually only have a mattress at the moment, a bed shall be the first thing to buy though, I plan to get something to store a few boxes under.

>> No.66838
File: 14 KB, 191x258, 1321000400992.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.66840

>>66829
If you have a mattress, you can make the rest yourself. Build a platform for the bed using pieces of 2"x6" as a frame with a piece of plywood on top. Then put it up on a few 4"x4" posts (with crossbars) to raise it to the desired height.

>> No.66845
File: 92 KB, 468x600, 1319444442072.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>66840
Do you have a rough idea about the price of the wood required?
I'm from England too so you may want to take that into account, not sure how much the prices differ.

>> No.66876

http://dornob.com/lofted-space-saving-furniture-for-bedroom-interiors/?ref=search

>> No.66878

>>66845
I have no idea how much lumber costs over there, but here in the States I would estimate about $65 for a twin-sized (single) mattress 5 feet off the ground. Of course that doesn't take into account screws or any finish you want to put on the wood.

>> No.66884

>>66876
I love these pictures, but I notice that there isn't much indication of how high the ceiling is in those rooms.

>> No.66886

http://www.collegebedlofts.com/

Google images, "lofted bed".

>> No.66926
File: 2 KB, 300x200, 5Z35X45S13kb3od3ldbao238c2dcf0c441167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As awesome as typical loft beds are functionally, they suck for a bunch of reasons. Not only do they make you feel like you're five, but they're not exactly easy or safe to get in and out of, nor are they usually very inviting stylistically. All the cold metal slats and shit make me think of prison or a college dorm. Not exactly the best feeling, I don't think.

Personally, I think this is the way to go [see pic]. I saw something on Craigslist about staircase bunk beds a few weeks ago, and have loved the idea. Like you, I have the problem of very limited space. Not wanting to opt for a usual loft bed, I sorted and searched around for a captains bed or similar with the staircase. I found that a few places that have a low loft bed with a staircase for not too much. They're usually made of wood, which is a lot better than the metal. I'll post a picture after with another something awesome I found in a Google search that could be build-able, if you are in fact a han/diy/man. :)

>> No.66928
File: 71 KB, 667x500, Single-Beige-Bunk-Beds-with-Stair-and-Mac-Desk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anddddd, here's the cool shit I found in the Google search. :)

>> No.66929

interior designfag here, would OP be able to salvage timber?

>> No.66936

Hey buddy, wondering where you been :D

Basically if you can lift your bed high enough, stick shelves underneath to use clothes and what not.

Otherwise shelves are your best friend.

>> No.66937

also OP, measurements of your room please

>> No.66939

Made myself a loft bed. Large enough to have my couch and computer underneath, and to fuck on top.

>> No.66946

>some creative ways to optimize the little space I have.

Being somewhat of a minimalist and anti-consumerist, my first thought is to get rid of stuff you don't need. Sell it, give it away, or donate it to charity. It's amazing the amount of stuff we acquire and accumulate.

As a last resort, though I don't recommend it as I live in a small place myself, if you can't bear to get rid of it, store it. You moved back in with your mother... I might assume there is some storage space somewhere, perhaps a basement or garage. Pack efficiently to maximize the amount of storage space. If you find you don't access the stored stuff at all, you know you can get rid of it (as per the above paragraph).

Next, maintain the mindset of being happy with what you do keep, knowing the stuff is being enjoyed/used frequently, rather than acquiring more just for the sake of acquiring.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAa6bOWB8qY

Absolutely bitchin' furniture and pieces of engineering.

>> No.66947

Will your bed fit behind the door and still leave you room to get out comfortably? That would make the room appear larger, and if you raise your bed and put shelves/drawers underneath it you can get quite a bit of storage space.

If it won't fit there try turning it 90 degrees along that wall, assuming that whatever that box there is can be moved that is. It seems like the bookshelf would then fit along the wall by the door and the box could go in the opposite corner. That should give more open floor area.

Definitely raise the bed. Even just for a double row of drawers. The higher you're willing to raise it, the more you can fit under it, which uses the space better.

>> No.66960

Sorry, it said my thread 404'd, apparently not though.

>>66937
Have you even looked at the pic I posted?

>>66946
All I own are clothes, dvds and books, nice and minimal.

>>66947
Once again, please refer to my OP.

>> No.66964

>>66947
The box in the corner cannot be moved, the stairs are beneath it.

>> No.66973

>>66960
>>66964

You did say it wasn't to scale and there's no measurements on the bed. There's not much rearranging you can do since you can't move that box thing.

If you place the bed on the wall where your bookshelf is currently(vertically) and move the bookshelf to the opposite wall you'll give yourself a little more open space to sit and relax in your room. How large is your bed/mattress? It shouldn't block the door since it fits on the short wall, which is 22" shorter and it's not the entire length of the wall since you have a bookshelf there. Lifting the bed is pretty much your only option for increasing space, but it will add quite a bit. You say you don't have much stuff so storage isn't a large issue, but placing a small chair and desk under your bed would work well.

>> No.66978

>>66973
It's in between a single and a double bed.
The bed is pretty much to scale with everything.
The bed is in the only place it would ever work, as is the book case. I was mostly hoping for suggestions with the bed, box and perhaps wall space.
I must explain that it's 5am here so I really don't mean to sound rude if I do.

>> No.66987

yes i did look at the picture, but the measurements are confusing lmao, also what's the ceiling height?

>> No.66989

assuming that box is flat, you could incorporate it into a loft bed of some sort, assuming you dont mind a rather close ceiling. make a frame for the bottom half of the bed so its equal height, stick the other half of the bed on said box, fill under the new frame part with storage space. BAM, 1/4 of room thats unused space, no longer.

If that box isn't flat, just build a frame supporting the mattress from the highest point on the box.

>> No.66992

>>66978
Apparently my lack of sleep also impairs my ability to construct a proper paragraph.
That looks dreadful.

I meant under the bed but that was pretty much figured out at the beginning of the thread.
I need useful/aesthetic means of storage.
My clothing is currently in a pile outside of my bedroom door as there is actually no space in my room for a dresser of any size or description.
I originally thought of installing two rails, one around the box for curtains and one behind that for my clothes but I'd rather something more temporary.

>>66987
The measurements are inches hombre, I forget the measurement system differs in places.
The ceiling is regular ceiling height, whatever that is.

>>66989
The box is flat apart from those little ramps that I have indicated, along with the height of the box.

>> No.66997

>>66992
>name: PeanutButter
>measures in inches
>from england
lolnope.

>> No.67000
File: 17 KB, 562x514, Screen shot 2011-11-17 at 4.12.50 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>66992
yes, converted them but your measurements are kinda weird lol

pic related, drafting it into CAD and this is what I get, damn your door is huge

>> No.67003

>>67000
Sorry bro, the wall from the box to the other wall is 55", not the door, the door is 29.5".

>> No.67004

>>67003
FUCK, the box to the wall is 55 inches.
The door is 29.5 inches.
I hate being tired.

>> No.67005

>>66978

Well there's the loft idea mentioned already that will let you store things under your bed, now that I'm starting to understand what that box is, it should work as a decent table or shelf.

What you could do, is raise the mattress a little and put some drawers underneath where the box isn't blocking them from being pulled out and set a tv on the box. If you place a footrest between your bed and the box you can just chill there like its a couch. I don't think I'd bother raising it very high unless you need to fit a chair or desk somewhere. A few extra drawers to store clothes would probably be more useful. You could raise it pretty high and just fill it with shelves and drawers but you made it sound like you don't have tons of crap to make that worthwhile.

Floating shelves will also give you more space without eating up floor and you can fit quite a lot of them on a wall. Just make sure you leave a good sized space around the door area or you're going to regret it the first time you get up to piss in the middle of the night.

I'd use the box to place a tv or as a shelf, get the bed on a frame with some drawers (cheap and easy to make) and hang some shelving on the walls. Not much else you can do that I can see.

>> No.67006

>>67005
The loft bed is actually starting to sound pretty attractive though.
I could put my tv and ps3 under the bed and have a beanbag across from it perhaps.
The bookshelf would still be in the way but it seems like a decent idea.

>> No.67012
File: 50 KB, 555x531, Screen shot 2011-11-17 at 4.32.08 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP, is this your mom's pantry?

>> No.67018

>>67012
Upstairs?!
Nah, It's just the box room/spare room.
That looks pretty cool but why on Earth is that bed so high?
I think it would look better with one end one the box as one or two of the anons said, tis quite a good idea.
By the way, what program is that you're using?

>> No.67031
File: 14 KB, 803x541, bedroom side.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>67012
Oh and this is the side view from the left wall.
I noticed you had some slope thing going on which confused me a bit.

>> No.67036
File: 80 KB, 590x596, Screen shot 2011-11-17 at 4.47.43 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>67018
Well adjusted it to 1300mm, assuming you want to be able to fit underneath i.e. sitting or whatevs, can you check if that slope is right though? I'm using Archicad 15.

>> No.67037

>>67031
ahh , misunderstood the slopes then :p
you can also use Google Sketchup

>> No.67040

>>67037
Haha that's cool man.
Instead of the bed being above the box though, I was hoping the box could be a part of the bed.
Like building half a bed and slotting it on top of the box.

>> No.67060

Is anybody still here?

>> No.67070

Bah I'm going to sleep, I'll bump this when I wake up.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

>> No.67075

yep, il keep this alive, just doing your room planning :p

>> No.67132

OP I been doing your line of work for several yrs now. I am now licensed journeyman. I would ask if you went to school, or signed up with your local union. Union will take you and train you while you work for them. So you will actually get a pay check as well as nice benefits as you work. As soon as you can, go get training done and pay so you can then do gas and air. It will really open up your job field, being able to install plumbing for air for hospitals, gas for creamatorys (I so did not spell that right, oh well) I hope your instructor is not some douche who rips ppl off and charges them out the ass. So best of luck OP.

>> No.67260
File: 11 KB, 794x489, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My room, I'm shit with paint sorry
But it's so small, can't fit a bigger bed only singles
Ideas for me?

>> No.67288
File: 67 KB, 531x583, Screen shot 2011-11-18 at 2.07.39 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

like this OP? what the hell is the box for? since theres space between that box to the door, you could make a small wardrobe , shelf or some sort of storage

>> No.67289

>>67260
measurements babe

>> No.67302

>>67288

If I'm understanding it right, the room is over the stairs so that "box" is caused by them making headroom in the stairwell.

I have to agree with the anon that said to put your bed on/over that box. Put your ps3, tv next to it and a comfy chair near the bookshelf and you're fucking set.

>> No.67306

Thanks for keeping this alive you lovely people.

>>67288
That's pretty much perfect.
The box does indeed contain the stairs like >>67302 said.
When I start this, it shall be my first diy project which makes me rather happy.

>> No.67380

>>67036
>>67288
What program are you using to create these?

This is my microsoft paint concept for maximizing the space. If your ceiling is high enough, I propose you raise the bed, turning the box into a desk / shelf space. Rebuild your bookcase to be load bearing, and make it part of the hutch that will support the weight of your bed.

>> No.67381
File: 46 KB, 813x581, maximum space usage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>67380
god damn it. I forgot my shitty paint mock-up.

>> No.67385
File: 28 KB, 813x581, 1321555236187.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>67381
That's a really good idea bu then I'd be so high I could lick the ceiling.
The bookcase is really fine where it is, I may put a bean bag next to it and put the tv and PS3 where I have indicated.

>> No.67509

dunno if you're still here OP, but owell.
in >>67288 , i assume you want a cushion or mattress on the box, not just plain box like picture. What you could do is either use a mattress and put some sort of storage in the blank space under, stick a cushion against the wall, put your tv/ps3 where that bookshelf is, and have a comfy seat as well.

fuck it, im breaking out the sketchup. one minute.

>> No.67531

>>67509
I am still here indeed.
I eagerly await your sketch.

>> No.67549
File: 38 KB, 765x683, small room1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

assuming i have all dimensions right, here's my idea.
the thing on the wall next to bed is a cushion, so it works as a couch, you could move the bottom away from wall a bit when using as couch to increase comfort, and maybe have a footrest section hidden somewhere if its too tall

>> No.67550
File: 36 KB, 704x648, small room2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

second view. Also, i added a "shelf" you'd have to make at the end of the bed, open on 2 sides, so you need 2 walls adjacent and a support beam on the exposed corner.

And i have to leave right now, ill answer questions when i get back.

>> No.67554

>>67550
Aside from the door opening the other way that looks pretty cool.
Thanks.

>> No.67558

>>67554
that was just to make sure i wasn't going into the doorspace, that door's actually an extra 1" as well. And it's fairly easy to change which side a door opens on, switch hinges, drill new hole for thing attached to knob, dun. I'd recommend it, actually. Would work much better for making the room feel big. But other than that, yea. That's my idea.
The one other thing is i have the "bed" as a 3" cushion, a mattress would be thicker and also make a worse couch bottom depending on how squishy it is and how hard the edges are. I personally prefer sleeping on thick cushions to boxspring mattresses myself, and it makes it much easier to use for multi-purpose.

>> No.67760

OP does your room have a window