[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 63 KB, 512x319, moonshine-van.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
65989 No.65989 [Reply] [Original]

Okay /diy/

How would I go about making homemade alcohol that wont blind me/kill my insides?

>> No.65992

Are we talking beer/wine/mead or hard liquor?

>> No.65990

It only blinded people because they were dumb enough to add methanol to it.

>> No.65994

The easier the better. I don't want to start off too complex

>> No.66004
File: 817 KB, 1024x768, vattnad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.grouprecipes.com/68153/pruno-not-just-for-the-socially-comdemned-anymore---how-to-make-pr
ison-wine.html

>> No.66013

You want to make alcohol, that wont kill your insides... Are you fucking retarded? Do you have any idea what alcohol is? If you manage to make any psychoactive drug or any drug at all that wont hurt you in any way you deserve a nobel prize. There is a reason why things got an age limit son, why don't you wait on abusing things until you realize things like that? I'ts for your own good you know or at least google before asking the questions so you don't have to embarrass your self

>> No.66014

>>66013
I like how you wasted all that energy on a diatribe that completely missed the point of what he was asking. He's asking for a way to make alcohol that doesn't create something super toxic beyond the alcohol. Bacteria/mold/gnarly unwanted chemicals.

>> No.66022

No he didn't you should read the comment again, also bacteria and mold made from yeast does not hurt you, it just makes your hangover feels 10 times more. You if anyone should stop wasting time here and read a book about brewing / understanding of the English language.

>> No.66023

>>66013
the trolls of /diy/, telling people not to put glue on cats, spray paint stencils, or drink.

I was wondering what form of troll /diy/ would get. now I know.

the discouragement trololol, mr. safety

>> No.66027

not troll, why dont you google a bit to, you might learn something...

>> No.66029

Anyways..

I had posted a quick and dirty recipe a day or two ago for apfelwein (apple wine). Very easy to make. If you dont have a local homebrew shop, just order from northernbrewer.com or morebeer.com.

equipment:
5 gallon fermenter bucket or 5 gallon glass carboy with an airlock
ingredients:
5 gallons of apple juice. The cheap stuff by the gallon at sams club, etc.
2 lb of corn sugar (best) or just 2lb of cane sugar *will need to ferment a bit longer to lose a bit of twang,
4 cups of distilled water.
1 package of montrachet yeast, or champagne yeast

Take your sugar and add about 4 cups of distilled water to it, and place in a small pot and warm it, making sure to stir it so it doesnt burn or boil over. Then remove it right away from the stove.

OK, clean and sanitize your bucket and fill your airlock with vodka.

dump in two gallons of the apple juice in your fermenter, then add the sugar mix, then the rest of the apple juice. In a 5 gallon glass carboy, you should have just enough room to add your yeast and put the airlock on. The plastic fermenter will have more than enough room.

be sure your temperature is well regulated, like inside a closet in a bedroom, etc.

in about 6 weeks (the longer the better though) you will have 5 gallons of 8-10% ABV goodness. You can then put it in jugs to drink, or pour it off into old cleaned/sanitized plastic soda bottles, and add a tsp-tbsp (depending on size) of sugar to it, and let sit for a week. It will be carbonated, like champagne.

Once you factor out the equipment, you cost per batch will be about $25/5gallon batch.

>> No.66038

If you do somehow get methanol poisoning you can self treat by drinking ethanol, like vodka. The ethanol has a higher affinity for alcohol dehydrogenase so it gets broken down instead of methanol. When the methanol is broken down it becomes formaldehyde and formic acid, both of which are highly toxic.

>> No.66040

>>66013
>psychoactive drug or any drug at all that wont hurt you in any way
DMT

>> No.66046

8kg sugar, 23 lt water, one pack turbo yeast, 4 days. run it through a still 3 times , drip through a carbon filter.
Drink it

>> No.66194

>>66040

Heavy users can get HPPD, but in general psychedelics are some of the safest drugs.

OP, try over in /ck/. They have threads like this all the time.

>> No.66424

Like anything else a general rule is that anything you make or grow for yourself or friends is going to be ten times better for you than something a sociopathic corporate entity makes by the shit ton and shoves down your throat with advertising and cash payments in corporate lobyists profits.

Talking about methanol and home brewing is just a troll thread.

The actual healthiest alcohol comes out a home still that has all the bad alcohol brewed out. Of course this would cost the corporate distillers more money to produce a brew this good and this healthy which is why there is this continuing war on home brewers.

>> No.68136
File: 29 KB, 500x375, 1314962111235.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fractional Distillation
Compound Still
Activated Charcoal
Slober Box
Don't blow yourself up
Don't get caught

>> No.68172

http://blacktable.com/gillin030901.htm
My brothers are prison guards. They tell me Pruno is the beverage of choice at all Illinois correctional facilities and beyond. Cheap and so easy that any moron can make it.

>> No.68178

>>68136
If you need charcoal you're doing it wrong.

>> No.68530

>>68178
You, sir, are an idiot.

Using activated carbon a filter takes out a lot of the nasty shit. It's also a nice way to take a $10 bottle of vodka, and turn it into $80 bottle of vodka.

A brita filter will also work, but not as efficiently as a well made set up.

>> No.68532

Don't use a car radiator for a condenser. Don't throw a battery in the mash to make the reaction kick over.

There, done. You won't go blind.

>> No.68534

>>65990 methanol
Methanol had nothing to do with it. What made people blind and killed them was Lead.

>> No.68547

>>68534

no hes right methanol is extremely toxic, its what they add to denatured alcohol to make it undrinkable its some nasty shit

>> No.68549

Go buy cheap vodka. Save yourself time and effort.

If that won't work, find a friend over 21.

>> No.68552

>>68530
No, you have it wrong. Yes, charcoal can clean up shitty alcohol.

If you're distilling and you need charcoal, you're fucking up somewhere.

>> No.68566

>>68549
>on /diy/
> tell people to go buy it instead

>> No.68567

I thought the blindness was because people put the alcohol through old radiators that still had antifreeze/coolant in them.

>> No.68574

No, destilling alcohol will always create methanol which can blind and kill you. What blinded people (aside from bootleggers adding like embalming fluid and shit to it) was amature destillers fucking up the part where you seperate it out.

Destilling is... To complicated to explain on an IB. I could post a pic of a basic still set up but you can kill yourself a few different ways trying to do that, including firery explosion.

>> No.68589

>>65989

Go buy a Mr. Beer kit at whatever Walmart analogue you live near. They should be stocking them for the holidays. Nut Brown Ale is pretty damn good.

>> No.68607

Google up how to make a distiller. It's really not very hard, you just need some buckets, copper piping, ice, thermometer and if you wanna do it well, some more pricey glassware. Also good tools. Don't do a shabby job with duct tape otherwise you'll blow yourself up. There are some decent videos on youtube.

Once you acquire your fermented mush, you need to boil it through a distiller (at 110C, I believe it was) to separate the ethanol from your unwanted garbage. Unfortunately when you do this, you also seperate the methanol with it, which causes blindness. Fractional distillation is based on the fact that methanol boils at 65C while ethanol boils at 78C. The idea is to boil your product above 65 but below 78, so the methanol evaporates out and you are left with a very pure ethanol product.

I did this as a home project a couple of months ago. My first distiller for separating the mush was made out of some metal pots and a (brand new) metal barrel. For the second one, however, i was fortunate enough to have access to good chemistry glassware.

Some tips:
>Don't do this inside, it's messy, dangerous, and worst of all, it fucking stinks
>Try to use a hotplate or even one of those iron bed grills and put water in it. Using anything with flames significantly increases your chances of blowing yourself up.
>WELD metal bits together when possible - gases that escape are highly flammable.
>Also, choose your brew well. I decided to be creative and use apple and pear skins in my mush, and after obtaining my final product, it had a faint, but awful fermented fruit tinge to it.

Also some others, I cant be bothered finishing this post

>> No.68617

>>68566

Sorry. I'm a homebrewer and i've seen too many forum posts from underagefags looking for a cheap drink so their mom doesn't beat their ass. Seeing
>make alcohol under my bed

screams "I'm trying to hide it!" I applaud the /diy spirit, but find a better project, kid.

>> No.68657

>>68607
>WELD metal

I assume you mean solder. You forgot to mention the most critical part, use SILVER SOLDER. Make sure it's lead-free. And water soluable flux.

>> No.68811

>>68657
>I assume you mean solder
It can be welded or soldered. I knew a fellow that made one out of an old beer keg, and used stainless steel for some of the pipes coming off of it. TIG welding with 308 or 316 filler is food safe (same process used for the stuff in commercial kitchens). Soldering is faster, much easier, and much more accessible.

Good point about the lead free solder, but not just any old lead free solder - use solder and flux intended for copper drinking water pipes.

>> No.68894

Drinking homebrewed beer just now. First time tried making it, went better than expected. Cuts down like a fucking scythe. Had help from grandfather, who had made it before.

>> No.68900

>>68894

Made wheat beer with some friends, and it turned out great even though it was our first time.
Or, well, my inexperienced friends had tried on their own before and managed to blow up a carboy. They had poured the hot, finished mixture into the carboy and had to wait for it to cool before adding the yeast, but they were impatient and started hosing it with the coldest water they could get out of the shower.

If you're in Scandinavia I can recommend http://www.maltmagnus.se/ , they deliver crushed barley and have great costumer service.

>> No.70471
File: 469 KB, 1127x1590, mini_explained.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Easy way to distil pictured.

>> No.70503

just google 'pruno', 'rainsin jack' or 'hootch'. a bunch of apple juice dumped into a clean jug with lots of sugar added and a packet of active yeast will get you something very drinkable in 3-10 days. walmart gives you access to all needed material. dump all ingredients into a 2 gallon water jug and cover the opening NOT WITH A LID but something like a small notebook or plastic cup. you don't want to trap the expanding air. so easy and yields many nights of drinking.

>> No.71083

I have a brewer's supply store within walking distance* from my house. You under privileged folks have it rough...

*(Is it considered "walking distance" if it's two miles away?)

>> No.71100

just made a batch of Irish Red Ale and another of American Pale Ale yesterday. 2 stage fermentation. It'll be ready by new year's. 10 gallons of beer for 3 hours and ~$40.

>> No.71410
File: 124 KB, 609x739, 62b076b9_7ca6_1a21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>66194
No thread there right now.
>>68574
There is NO way to extract methanol from a fermented mash, no matter how hot you distill it. Sheesh. The amounts are so minute anyone would be dead of ethanol poisoning long before getting any methanol poisoning symptoms. Anything else is a myth and l2distill.

>>68607
http://amazingstill.com/
2 plastic buckets, aquarium heater and some additional plastic + glue. Can't get all alcohol out of the mash but close enough. 9 liters of 40% vol from 24 liters of mash. I use it all the time, doesn't even need watching, just somewhere cold for 3 days. Cheap to build and it takes about 1 hour.

>>66029
Thanks, man! I've been browsing /ck/ and /diy/ for an hour trying to find that, or even a thread where i could request it. I've made my own cider/apple wine before but then i used fresh apples and i want something simpler.