[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 45 KB, 600x400, 2-coca-cola.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
62575 No.62575 [Reply] [Original]

hey /diy/, I'm a college student, and get through a lot of coke. Over the term, I've collected about 10 2 litre bottles, and really want to make something with them.

The catch is, I want to make something functional and useful. Whether that's mechanical, vehicular, or even to do with something flowing through them to achieve some purpose. I just hate the idea of simple gluing them together, or painting them or whatever, and just making them pretty. Using them for storage also strikes me as really dull.. Too passive.

At the moment, I'm trying to teach myself some electronics (wrestling with whether or not to buy and arduino uno..), so maybe that could be involved somehow too? I also own a glue gun, but could no doubt acquire other tools as necessary.

I dunno, it feels like there's the potential to make something really cool, but I can't quite think of it!

Any thoughts or ideas welcome!

>> No.62577

Make a compressed air and water powered rocket.

>> No.62579

Cut the top off and use as a funnel.
Use to store drinking water.
In summer time, freeze it for cold water all day long in the sun.
You can fill them with water or sand and hang them off a tarp.
Make ghetto planters.
Cap an empty 2L and you have a floater.
Put dry ice in, make a bang.
They make good piss jugs.

>> No.62580
File: 128 KB, 553x795, soda planter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You could use them as planters.

>> No.62581
File: 215 KB, 984x666, soda sub.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.62584
File: 20 KB, 240x320, soda bottle jet pack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not really what you're looking for, I just think it's cool.

>> No.62586
File: 158 KB, 550x688, soda bottle vases.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Soda bottle vases. Ghetto but kind of cool.

>> No.62625

radio controlled boat of some description. you could use the arduino or buy a fez pandaI II, they're C# programmable & compatible with most arduino shields.
home brewing
fill them with water and tape them together to make big doorstops
hold on to them till winter and tie them to a big lump of wood to make a toboggan
bottle rocket
pressure tank for low power pneumatics using bicycle pumps. also makes an excellent egg launcher
erm.. compressed air hair dryer
if you live near the sea, message in a bottle. you could add solar power & motor. heck arduino and gps...
cut them into contemporary Christmas decorations
perform floatation experiments relating to pressurised containers
experiment with adding pressure to small remotely detonated explosives
field mouse habitat

oopse i appear to have come up with rather a lot of ideas... hope they're interesting enough

>> No.62628
File: 9 KB, 300x293, Plastic-Bottle-Shoes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.62779

If I were you,

I'd make a funnel with one (By cutting the top off)
I'd use one to store coins
I'd keep another in my car (Never know when you need a container)
I'd use another to store my DIY shampoo
The rest I'd sell.

>> No.62806

>>62575
What you've got is a bunch of tiny greenhouses, my friend. Want to quick-start some plants? Want to grow tiny plants? Cut in half lengthwise, duct tape one side for a hinge, punch a couple small holes for ventilation, put dirt in the bottom, sunshine on the top, and water in between.

In fact, I'd use two to do just that. The rest I'd turn into a small hydroponics setup (about which I'm pretty sure /diy/ has plenty of posts). Do a 3X3 grid, each level feeding into the one below. Add a little nutrient and a holding tank on top and bottom, pour bottom into top every morning, face to the sun, voila, fresh herbs/flowers/whatever.

>> No.62826

>>62581
that's pretty cool

>> No.62847

Yeah, two-liter bottles make cheap, easy terrariums and starter containers if you can cut them apart cleanly. There are also plans that use PVC pipe and two-liter bottles to make a flood-drain hydroponics setup, which I've actually built myself. It worked quite nicely but it got broken in an accident. You could build one of those for plants, and make an electronic timer for the pump.

They're great pontoons, too, if you wanted to make a doofy little boat.

>> No.62851

Gravity bongs. A whole lot of them.