[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 184 KB, 1089x885, 1397508557017.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
625387 No.625387 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/hards.

I have never grown a garden, but I plan to help myself in that field. Does anyone on this board know any good books(/lit/ was no help) or have any experience on growing plants.

I plan to grown fruits later, but Ill leave to that to when I am more experienced with growing.

>> No.625390

The book you want depends on what kind of garden you want.
If you're just starting out I recommend flowers and spices. Those are the easiest to maintain and are good for beginners.

>> No.625395

>>625387
Precisely what I need!

>> No.625401

This probably sounds cliche, but I think the best advice is to go out and do it. Look up some basic steps and procedures on ehow or something and read the back of the seed packets and just fucking go to town on that bitch. Won't cost you barely anything, and experience is the most valuable thing ever. Reading about it is nice and could be useful, but knowing how to use that knowledge is just as important as having it.

>> No.625405

I think a farmer's almanac will have the proper times and seasons to grow things in your area.

Other than that, watch YouTube videos.

>> No.625427

Pretty good advice, guys. Thank you. My most favorite is the getting experience because it is true that experience really is very important.

>> No.625822

head over to /an/ or /out/ but /an/ is most recommended. im sure there will be somebody with knowledge

>> No.625876

>>625822
Wrong.
/an/ hasn't done any gardening threads since /out/ was created.
Go to the out Homegrowmen thread, the OP is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge list of digital books on the very thing you're asking for.

>> No.625879

>>625405
Get into permaculture techniques.

They're hard for big farms to do, but they are almost work-free for the little guys.

Compost is free, healthy urine is sterile and a great starter for it.

Do 2 parts brown crispy stuff
to one part green stuff to have a hotter pile that kills weed seeds.

Urine can be applied to plants n a 10 to 1 ratio.
It's actually what many chemical fertilizer companies sell you. Urea a major component of urine is very high in nitrogen for leaf growth.

If you eat a healthy diet, excess nutrients are excreted mostly through the urine, if you eat many fruits your urine will contain high amounts of phosphorus and potassium vital plant nutrients. NPK is what people use to describe the ratios of these compounds.

>> No.625890
File: 921 KB, 1632x1224, 20140415_180131.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just moved in. God help me. I have:
>Figs
>Oranges
>Papayas
>onions (the spiky one you eat the leaves not the rooty )
>bagazilions of flowering species
And I need to
>clean the pool
>paint a lot of shit
>cut that grass
>cut the external grass and paint the wall
>finish my room
>discover how to make moss grow for decoration purposes (does that moss milkshake thing works? How long does it take? I'm using some pleurocapous moss I found on my old house and on the streets but I can go full lazy buyfag and buy 1 kg of sphagnum on the webs)
>teach 3 dogs how to climb steep stairs
>paint internal walls of the other house
>remake some small garden things walls (crude concrete brick ugly as fuck)
Once I"m allowed to breath I'll see if I can plant something. I got some Strawberries from my old house.