[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 75 KB, 238x191, dd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
61104 No.61104 [Reply] [Original]

Hey it's cold outside.
I want to make my own scarf. Problem is I know little about sewing and nothing about knitting. How do I go about finding a not shit plan?
Also, fuck felt.

>> No.61113

I'd recommend you learn how to sew. Alot faster than knittin'.

>> No.61124

Guy or girl?

>> No.61136
File: 32 KB, 258x400, knitting01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>61124
?

>> No.61155

fuck both. use fabric glue.

>> No.61163

>>61136
Some scarf designs are decidedly feminine. I'm not here to judge. You wear whatever type of scarf you want, OP.

>> No.61167

You could crochet, you could use a knitting loom, or you can buy some polar fleece and just cut some fringe on the end, since it doesn't fray.
I suppose if you made a loom, you could weave one.

>> No.61166

>>61113
I took home w.e. and cooking in middle school. I know how to use a sewing machine, mostly. At least well enough to say fuck that to the hundred dollar price tag on a new scarf.

>> No.61170

>>61124 Guy.
I just want a scarf that looks like a scarf, not an infinity scarf, not a scarf with pockets, and not decidedly feminine.

>> No.61171
File: 35 KB, 266x400, circle scarf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://cottonandcurls.blogspot.com/2010/11/tube-or-circle-scarf.html

Scroll down for no-sew directions.

>> No.61173

>>61170
>not an infinity scarf
disregard >>61171 then

>> No.61174

>>61167
Not really interested in fleece as a fabric.

>> No.61176

Honestly OP things are going to be pretty hard if you don't have a sewing machine.

>> No.61178

>>61171
Hot blogger alert, lol.

>> No.61180

>>61176
I plan on having a bro-date/sew-date with a friend that has one. I think the local jo-ann fabric has a project center as well.

>> No.61183

>>61113
Not necessarily, but seeing as OP already knows a little about sewing, that would be faster than learning how to knit. Especially since really nice looking knit scarves basically require you to know more than one stitch. Get some flannel or wool and look for sewing tips on youtube or something.

>> No.61227

Quick bump before I get home and plan this with my google-fu.
Also, where is a good place to buy quality fabric?

>> No.61246

1) buy non-pill fleece or another comfy fabric
2) cut into a long, skinny rectangle
3) ??????
4) profit!

If you wanna be serious about it:
3a) Cut a rectangle that's twice as thick as you'd like it, with the length you like.
4a) Fold the fabric and line the edges onto itself, inside out (the side that you want to show goes facing itself) to make a skinnier rectangle
5) Pin the fabric, making sure the edges are lined up
6) sew up (handstitch or machine, I don't care) all the edges EXCEPT 4 inches on one of the tiny sides.
7) turn scarf right side out through the hole
8) sew hole closed
9) enjoy your scarf

>> No.61249

>>61227
For quality, more expensive fabric (it's worth it to pay a bit extra once you're comfortable with your sewing skills): Local fabric stores.

For affordability (and low quality, only good for practice trust me): Wal-mart, Jo-Anns, Hobby Lobby and other chain stores.

>> No.61488

>>61249
Noted sir.

>> No.61518

10 ply wool
knit 1 purl 2
repeat

>> No.61959
File: 78 KB, 300x244, Knit-Stitch-plain.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

seriously, knit it! sewing required a £400 sewing machine (hand stitiching a whole fuckin scarf?? stupid)

knitting needles are dirt cheap, and you can get a variety of prices of yarn depending on budget/your taste.
the knit stitch is all you require for a plain scarf. you really easily add stripes of colour if you want it more fancy.
your mum or grandma will enjoy teaching you to knit, or, you can just use this excellent video: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-knit-the-knit-stitch..

lastly, it would probably take a 'newbie' knitter a week to make a scarf. you can do it whilst watching tv in the evenings. its very therapeutic and once you get into the swing of it, it requires no 'thinking'!
good luck!

>> No.61983

If you decide to try knitting, remember that the fatter the yarn the less stitches you need and the faster it will go. Big manly hands can also probably handle a pair of 17s easier than little girly ones. The most important thing to remember when knitting is "stay loose".

>> No.62056

Hello knit friends. I've looked into your craft and decided that I would rather sew it. Mostly because it's cold now and i'm not sure I have your patience.

>> No.62102

Turns out I can't find a simple scarf pattern. Where should I be looking.

>> No.62118

Sew it. Buy a used machine for $25.

You need no pattern: Cut 2 long rectangles. Put the 'right sides' facing each other. Sew the long sides together. sew one of the short sides together. flip it over and turn it inside out. Now (by hand) slip-stitch the last end shut. Easy.

>> No.62132

>>62102
knit a row
continue adding rows until long enough

>> No.62134

>>62118
Yep, this. You don't need a pattern for a scarf, it's just a fabric rectangle.
To make it stay nice and flat after doing what the poster above me said, you can top-stitch it. i.e. stitch along the now outside out edges to stop the seams from turing inward.

>> No.62244

OP: before I learned to crochet (with which you could make a scarf in about two hours while watching tv), I went to a fabric store and had them cut about six feet by one foot of fuzzy fabric. I took thin string and tied each end to prevent unravelling. Worked like a charm.

>> No.62518

Crocheting is more like it. Sewing is besides the point and knitting requires some skill. You will need crochet hook and some yarn. Thick hook goes with thick yarn, makes loops larger, whole thing completes faster. If your first project is a scarf 2 yard long 6 inches wide, you will complete it in one evening.

>> No.62836 [DELETED] 

Disregard yarn.
Acquire beard.
Laugh at winter's feeble attempts to chill your face and neck.

>> No.62837
File: 66 KB, 800x743, BeardinessAnon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Disregard yarn.
Acquire beard.
Laugh at winter's pitiful attempts to chill face and neck.

Pic related.