[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 75 KB, 720x540, writing-in-truck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
592827 No.592827 [Reply] [Original]

The scope of the project is sort of broad. Tell me if there's a better place to post this.

I'm thinking about living in truck in a relatively cold climate. I'll buy the truck and build the infrastructure (bed, shelves, insulation, etc) myself. I'll use an inverter for charging small electronics while the truck is off. I'm new to all of this. What sort of truck would you get? What sort of wood would you use? A fridge and microwave are likely out of the question, so what sort of diet should I aim for? Can I safely install the inverter on my own or should I get more skilled help? If you did this, what would your setup look like? Any tips or potential problems?

Thanks

>> No.592857

>>592827
Inverters are easy to install and use. A fridge would likely have to be a propane powered model so you'd be adding quite a bit of bulk and some complexity. A camp stove and ice chest, however, would be easy enough. Just use the stove safely.

Two bad things about trucks is that the larger ones get really bad gas mileage and the bed isn't insulated. So make sure to factor that in. You might consider a minivan. About the same floor space but with more headroom, much better insulation, and typically better MPG.

I was forcibly homeless for a 18 months and slept in my van. A 95 Honda Odyssey. While it got cold in the winter, this was in Oregon during one of the coldest winters in recent history, I just ran the heater until it warmed up. In the meanwhile I would work or play on my laptop and listen to the radio. Then it was tuck up into the sleeping bag, read for a while, and sleep.

I didn't charge anything in situ. I spent most of my day between a library and a coffee shop where I'd do my odd tech jobs. Both had plenty of outlets.

Join a gym. Great way to start the day, plus you can shower, brush your teeth, and even shave without anyone thinking anything of it. I actually miss that part. I lost around 50 pounds and felt great. Now I live way the fuck away from a gym.

If I were heading into it on purpose I'd have definitely leveled the floor with some plywood. Speaking of, I'd suggest just going with plywood. Easy to work with, relatively cheap. Coat it with some spray on sealer to keep it dry and away you go. You might use a couple cheap 2x4s here and there for support.

As for meals I mostly ate canned soups and veggies for dinner. For lunch I'd usually keep sandwich materials on hand.

>> No.592992

seconded the gym and library idea, being a med student has teached me how productive a day can be if you dont spend it at home and instead reading and exercising

as for food ceral,bread and nuts for breakfast and snacking, buy the milk individually, get a nice container for water and dont ever again drink softdrinks again they are awful, get to know the farmer's market and eat fresh fruit and veggies, and dont abuse canned food too much sodium

>> No.593013

>>592992
I should clarify that the soup was canned the veggies were fresh.

>> No.593038

A van would be the least conspicuous option. Look at the coachwork in semi-trucks to inform your own work. Fitting a life's worth of stuff into a sleeper cab is a big part of what those manufacturers do.

And for god's sake, insulate the truck. Peel & Seal, Frost King, fucking styrofoam and aluminum foil held together with spray glue - whatever you can afford. Do not try to survive the cold in a raw metal box, or with nothing but automotive carpet between you and the steel.

>> No.593045
File: 335 KB, 1600x1200, P9250638.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why not a just buy slide in camper or a Winnebago?

>> No.593052

>>593045
Or an airstream?

>> No.593061

>>592827
Look into sprinter vans. Minivans with the high ceiling. My parents got one with no extras, and my dad built out the inside with basic materials, shelving, a bed, etc. Got a solar panel, battery system, single white LEDs for cheap light. The van has two smoked windows in the back, that are very small. The whole thing is pretty discreet. Cost of the van might be a bit up there though.

>> No.593088

>>592827
Ford Transits are pretty huge these days, lots of space to play around in.

>> No.593128

>>592857
Thank you for all of that good info. I'd probably go for a smaller truck with better mpg, but the lack of insulation could pose a problem. Refer below for truck-vs-van dilemma.

>>592992
Can I have a balanced diet without eating refrigerated foods? I've already cut sweets and red meat out of my diet.

>>593038
The part about studying semis is a great idea. Starting now. Refer below for truck-vs-van dilemma.

>>593045
>>593052
>>593061
I can't afford a winnebago or an airstream. Vans seem more expensive than trucks from my research. I also will probably be in the city sometimes and I feel like vans would attract more attention than trucks. I don't need the extra space either, everything I own fits into my pack (except food). I'm completely ignorant and those are just my gut feelings, tell me if you know better.

>> No.593217
File: 31 KB, 400x300, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>593128
I lived out of my El Camino 77 a few months ago, in CA, bay area, for about 2 months. I have to admit you need to insulate as best you can, it doesn't get too cold here but some nights were bad, I bought a few foam cut outs and it actually worked wonders. I'm lucky because I have a camper shell and the 77 model year has a pretty huge bed (I can sleep in the cab on the bench seat or rather in the bed long ways comfortably).

I had a propane camper heater and a propane camp stove for heat and cooking food, it's very easy to live off of vegetables (think potatoes, carrots, tomatoes), and fruit (bananas, oranges, apples), hell, if you're smart you can get some of that for free. Then of course some canned things, always had pasta on hand, bottled water (the kind that supermarkets sell, like the huge refillable jug for like 50c), so on. I was never hungry, and I only had around 100 bucks a month to live off of, including gas.

As far as where to settle, you want to find a place that other cars are parked all night, such as super market lots where you see camper vans, I NEVER had anyone fuck with me, cop or otherwise in my local safeway lot, but maybe I was lucky. I also stayed in the same spot every night, but that was because I felt safe there. But trust me, never just park off the highway or on some lonely road, you're going to get the wrong attention, made that mistake the first week.

Make sure to put a sheet or something in the windows for privacy when just chilling so people cant see you, for some reason people don't like to know you're in there or something, I got asked to move along a few times when I didn't, but where I live people are snooty assholes, so eh.

IDK man, over all it was actually a pretty cool experience, wouldn't mind doing it again. Only bill I had to pay was gas and food, stole internet from HQ safeway, showered and shaved at friends houses.

IF you have any questions man, be back tomorrow.

Pic related

>> No.593624
File: 44 KB, 275x279, lil buddy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>592827
I would go with minivan also. But you could insulate a truck bed and topper by gluing 2" thick 4x8 Styrofoam sheets to the interior. I made an ice-fishing house like this and it was toasty warm with a little propane heater. If you use one, be sure it has an oxygen depletion sensor and shut it off when you go to sleep.

You could probably run a small microwave from an inverter if you size it correctly. A little propane grill also would make more variety in meals.

If it's cold out, why the concern for a fridge/freezer? Or will you be there long enough it will be warm too? If you have any access to somebodies freezer, you can freeze 1 gallon water jugs and put them into a cooler. They will keep a cooler refrigerator temps in 80^ outside temps.

>> No.593625

If you want to do this long term, do yourself a favor and wait until you can afford something the size of a sprinter
Fuel economy isnt really much worse, but the size makes the difference between a mobile home or a bumshack

>> No.593635

I lived in a van for a year and went through one winter. Insulation is impractical. Get a nice sleeping bag. I strung a hammock in the back and it was super comfortable. I charged the laptop off the battery as necessary and never ran out of power. A 5-day cooler will store the food you need. Making coffee and cooking are out of the question without running water. Eat deli meat, cheese, nuts, fruit but the secret food is heavy cream with a squirt of chocolate sauce. It gives you massive, cheap calories and there's no cleaning involved. Save plastic bags, form them into troughs and squat to poop. Piss into a cup and throw out in a discreet place.

Obtaining a place to park is the tough part. You realize quickly that someone owns almost all property and they notice you if you're on it. There are eyes everywhere. Temporarily you can use a truck-stop parking lot. Try to cover your windows discreetly. I had a plain white van so it blended in with industrial settings well. The key is to find a parking lot that is semi-public, like a large industrial area where it's not uncommon to see cars you don't recognize parked around. Window covering was a pain so work that out. The laptop shines bright at night. Condensation will form everywhere, which is another reason insulation is useless. The moment you crack a window or two the heat inside leaves. Propane heaters can kill you so don't risk it. Good luck. It gets old.

>> No.593921
File: 53 KB, 580x467, Po' boy emergency heater.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you're looking for a cheap and efficient heater without having to worry about a power supply you could always try something like this.

>> No.593924

>>593217
That's where I am right now but I'll soon be in colder climes.
I'm reluctant to use any kind of heater. I'm an idiot and I'd probably accidentally kill myself. I'm still considering stoves. I'm already on a very simple diet and am trying to move to vegetarianism. I added water jugs to my grocery list.
The parking thing is a good point. I hear Walmart lets you park there overnight too, hopefully that's a corporate policy. Why would people pester you if you're somewhere remote? Any info on relevant laws would be helpful, but I'm sure they vary by state.
Have any stories or pictures?

>>593624
You're the third person to suggest styrofoam insulation so I added it to my research list. I never would've thought of that.
I'm still considering the necessity/practicality of a microwave. I saw a little cooking tool recently that you could hook up to a thermos-like thing. It looked like it would be useful for soup etc. I forgot what it was called, does anyone know?
I found a chart for the wattage required for various appliances and a mini microwave was on the high end. What are the chances that I could kill my battery if I use this stuff? How would I know when I need to recharge? I know nothing about this stuff.
Your fridge question is perfect. I probably won't need one. I can't believe I overlooked that. Thanks.

>>593625
I briefly browsed craigslist for sprinters. The prices were generally prohibitive, but the extra space would be valuable. I also saw a couple with branding still on them (e.g. Bill's Solar Electrical Systems), and that might be good for blending in. Or maybe the opposite, I don't know.

>>593635
A hammock is brilliant. Have any pictures of your setup?
You guys are pulling me closer to a van. Is there anything I should know about them? I've only ever owned a car.
I may need curtains for the night, but I was considering just limo tinting the back windows. No one has mentioned it yet, is it unwise?

>> No.593927

>>593921
That's an interesting idea. I'm always interested in projects, so I added it to my list.

>> No.593940
File: 20 KB, 529x439, 1343886576575.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Regardless of what vessel you end up living in, the first thing you'll want to do is upgrade your power supply. Get an AGM car battery to support the loads you'd put on through a power inverter.
Optima batteries are overpriced, so look for other brands (Energizer, Duracell, Odyssey, etc.)

Just my $0.02, happy trails OP

>> No.593945

>>593924
Laws on tint and how heavy it can be vary greatly. It can also be pricey. You'd be better buying "black-out cloth" from a local fabric store. They use it in shades to block out the morning sun.

>> No.593952

>>593927

Its bullshit. Just as bad as those free energy fuckheads we used to get around here all the time.

>> No.593955

Look at local laws regarding boondocking and such.
Look around and see what is most common, trucks, trucks with rear cabs, vans, industrial vans, etc.
*if you have a lot of parks and free to camp government land, separate trailer you outfit yourself is a good bet. If something is wrong with the truck, you'll not be without a home.

Insulation is only needed between the body and the vehicle/trailer. Closed cell foam and shiny plastic insulation is good, cheap, and decent for this. Get non-reflective blackout curtain material and either magnets or other fasteners(magnets not really noticeable)
gym membership a plus(power, showers, shitters, exercise, and power)
single burner camping stove, large plastic jugs for water, waste, solar charger and golf cart batteries for power, adapter for laptop to charge directly from said batteries MUST

0 degree or lower sleeping bad, washable, two so one can be cleaned while the other stands in

Get job as maintenance, security jobs require either close friends in places or a physical address, Post Office Box or friend you trust for mail, Mr, Heater propane heater and carbon monoxide/dioxide detector and vent kit a must for especially cold times when gym is closed. 7 day fridge w/plugin option for cooling. You won't survive long without a support network or good community support.

>> No.593988

Depending on your budget I would shoot for a mid 90's ranger (also I own one) with a truck cap, I see them going for $1000 or less all the time, the caps are sometimes free on CL.

The drop-in plastic bedliners can have insulation attached to the bottom before you place it in the bed so you retain that easy to clean plastic but get the benefits of a little shielding to the elements

Microwaves can run off an inverter, it has to be a pure sine wave and you should probably double up on batteries, there is room for a second under the hood.

Another Idea is mount solar panels on the roof of the vehicle to charge the batteries during the day, so you would use less gas and have basically no chance of being stranded. (also get a stick for push start in emergencies)

To give yourself some heat you could run heater core bypasses to a small heat exchanger in the bed and operate it with a small bilge pump from a boat supply shop to circulate engine coolant and provide you with warmth even after the engine has been off for a while.

>> No.594119

My friend lives in a ex- ambulance. They're insulated really well and have huge battery's for running medical equipment

>> No.594130

>>593635
>Condensation will form everywhere, which is another reason insulation is useless

Use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Eva-Dry-EDV1100-Petite-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0069ABM7A/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1391697207&sr=8-14&keywords=Dehumidifer

These are nessessary to stop condensation, rust and to stop your Insulation from soaking full of water.

>> No.594435

Depending on your budget useing a moving truck might work http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look-small-space-livingin-a-ga-61030

>> No.594550

>>593924
Hey man, El Camino fag here,

Walmart is a hit or a miss, for some places, like big shopping centers where there's a lot of stores AND a wall mart you'll probably get security coming up and wondering whats what, but I suppose it all depends on where/when you are, basically, if you see other trucks/vans/campers around, it'll be okay, as long as no one knows you're in there.

Honestly, don't mess with gas unless you feel that feel/know what you're doing, I worked at a Restaurant that had propane burners in the back (Totally illegal around these parts) and it was my job to clean and cook with them, so I was never too worried about using the heater, but then again, I used an old steel pipe with a cone at the end going out the side window and hung it over the heater so all the run off left the camper. I also only used it to get comfortable before going to sleep or if it was REALLY cold out, not for long at all.

I have a ton of stories, some pictures, will try to find, post later. I kinda get the feeling very few of the people giving advice here have really HAD to live in a van/truck, but the only good reason I used my elky is because I didn't have to pay for smog where I have it registered, it is cheep to insure and reg it because it's a 77, and I just feel comfortable in it. Ah, I'm rambling, basically, if you've got a question, I'll probably have thought about it or faced it out there.

Will bump with pics/stories when I can.

>> No.594562

>>592827
>What sort of truck would you get?
Motorhome. Then all that work is already done and you can move in immediately.

>> No.594630

>>593924
you might need to add another battery for all the other stuff. i suggest the same specification of your current battery so you know that if one dies you can use the other.

>> No.594672

>>592827
>What sort of truck would you get?

A diesel surplus/decommissioned military cargo truck. Like one of these,

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/military-cargo-truck

Loving those prices. Then I'd build a Gypsy-style house on the back of it.

>What sort of wood would you use?

All rough-cut solid hardwoods. No particle boards or composites at all. I don't want to smell glue and adhesives forever and have whatever possible health problems might stem from them.

>A fridge and microwave are likely out of the question, so what sort of diet should I aim for?

Luckily, you really don't need those for most things. Buy and eat anything that can sit on the counter for 3-5 days without going bad. That is a surprising variety of food. Most vegetables fit that description easily. Obviously, canned foods do too. If you have a stove top/hob that uses propane or whatever, you can get a small/medium pressure canner. Then buy veggies and meats in bulk, make delicious stews and soups then pressure can them yourself (that's what I do.) Your diet might not be changing as much as you think, unless you are an ice cream fiend.

>Can I safely install the inverter on my own or should I get more skilled help?

Most come with easy instructions and are easy to install.

>If you did this, what would your setup look like?

For electrical, I'd have a 6-battery array. The voltage would match the charging system for the truck and the inverter would match the voltage for the battery array. I'd have additional charging methods like solar panels on top and perhaps an S-VAWT too, that can be folded down during transit then put up when stopped. That way the battery array could be recharged all the time without need for the truck to be running. I might even find room on board for my stationary bike battery charger, although, I'd probably redesign the unit so I could fit my actual bicycle on it and be able to use my bike freely as a means of short distance travel from the truck.

continued...

>> No.594676

>>594672
...Continued.

For water I'd use gravity feed from two tanks. For sewer I'd install a composting toilet. For entertainment, I'd use what I already have for electrical outages. It is a low-power netbook with external HDD and internal wi-fi. I can play older games (newer games are played via OnLive which has good ping around here), watch movies, and surf online. It can also hook up to a larger screen and has several adapters/converters to hook to most any power supply or monitor.

Oh yeah, I do fishing and hunting, from time to time, and other than canning I also dry meats into bilitong and jerky. I'm a gardener and farmer, so I'd find some way to incorporate at least some plants and animals into the mix. Probably mostly herbs, and a few chickens. I'd have a collapsible hoop chicken tractor, so I could pasture the chickens outside during the day where ever I stop.

Instead of have a dishwasher, dryer, cloths washer, I'd use a deep shop sink with wash board for clothing and dishes.

>> No.594677

>>594672
>>594676
Oh and for heating, I'd have a small, upright, wood stove (probably a style of rocket stove). That way I can burn anything I need to in order to stay warm and heat water, or even cook.

>> No.594732
File: 20 KB, 500x345, DH-10MA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What I would do is get a battery charger like this one, (I use this one at my house) and a better higher capacity battery. Permanently attach some battery terminal rings to the end and run the wire through your dash and onto your battery. You could even get creative and embed this in the glove compartment. Get a big orange extension cord and use it to jew power from outlets when you can. This means you don't have to turn on your car and waste gas to recharge your battery, this also means you could possibly recharge another bigger battery somewhere else in the car (possibly trunk) and run higher powered things.

>> No.594733

>>594732
Frogot to mention, put a big switch or manual disconnect in between the charger and battery as you probably don't want it hooked up when you start the car.

>> No.594735

http://www.operatorchan.org/s/res/6195.html

Might be relevant to your interests op

>> No.595042

>>593924
Hey OP:
This anon here:
>>593624
The type of propane heater I posted specifies how many square inches of ventilation space to have open. It also says not to sleep while it's on. You can heat up the place nicely and get curled up in your sleeping bag and shut it off for the night.

If you got an inverter big enough for a small microwave, you should run the engine while you use it to keep the battery up (it's only a few minutes a day). While camping, I liked using the mini grill, though. Makes food taste better and better texture than microwaved crap.

Most inverters can sense two things and shut down if either the power requirements are two high, or the battery voltage gets too low. You should still be able to start a modern vehicle after the inverter has sensed low voltage.

I will say again, minivan is the way to go. You want to look like a soccer mom, rather than a trucker tough guy. Also better gas mileage, since money must be an issue.

>> No.596841 [DELETED] 

>>592827
bump

>> No.597310

>>592827

>> No.597317

Look for a junkyard that has a semi-tractor that has been in an accident, or just look for a trucking company with a lot of junked tractors out back. The amenities from the sleeper section of a semi-tractor would easily fit into the back of a pickup... TV, Microwave, fridge.. there is usually a secondary generator behind the sleeper (looks like a low metal box with an exhaust pipe) that can run by itself to provide heat and electricity. You will need to strip and cobble stuff in... but all the wiring and such for the setups will already be there as long as you pull out the harnesses carefully. You may even be able to strip the bunk and the storage box out and mount it the long way in the bed. You might as well (if they have em) pull out the internet access ports and hookups for outside power (you can jack in at truckstops) Plus CB and even the sat hookup... if you decide to spring for satellite service. It might be tricky finding a decent enough setup.. or maybe not.. I've seen some pretty tricked out stuff getting common now.

>> No.597586

They don't work that well.

>> No.598840

I'm reading through all of the great new posts. I'll reply when I get home.

>> No.600169

Bumping an interesting thread

>> No.600170

First off. Scrap the truck idea.. Go with some form of van. More headroom/room in general. I would even look into finding a pull behind trailer. You know those airstream/drop style kind. To hold and lock away extra stuff. Get lots of insulation. Doesn't have to look pretty it just has to work. Styrofoam is best plus with a file it's easy to shape. IDE also go with a space heater

>> No.600310

>>593955
you can get an infrared space heater and not have to worry about carbon monoxide

>> No.600622

Google stealth camping. There's an entire culture that has developed around this. Most stealth campers utilize commercial vehicles because they fit in when parked in industrial or commercial areas. You don't want to attract attention. Cube vans are popular because they are very common, used ones are cheap, and small ones get good gas milage. Security personel will be attracted to civilian vehicles because they look out of place when parked for an extended period of time.Some folks use commercial cargo trailers instead of travel trailors for the same reason. They are insulated, sturdy, used ones are cheap, and have lots of room.

This guys living it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xhsueAJas

Tips on building a stealth van
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/92447-Tips-for-Stealth-Overnight-Parking-and-Building-a-Stealth-Vehicle

http://hackaday.com/2014/01/23/stealth-camper-van/

There's a ton of stuff out there. Google is your friend.

>> No.600657
File: 1.01 MB, 1394x952, Van1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>600622
Love the concept of stealth camper vans. If you pick up a new/used unmarked van you become invisible in the city

>> No.600658

>>600657

Its better to get a van with commercial shit on it. A strange van parked in a residential neighborhood can attract attention but a plumbers or carpet cleaners van? Invisible. Park it overnight and move the next day and no one is the wiser. Buddy of mine had an old Medi transport van he used to take on road trips and camp in cities in. No one fucks with them. Gas mileage was shit and finding parking was a problem but it was fine otherwise.

>> No.600662

>>600658
>>600657
That's actually pretty ingenious

>> No.600956

bumping for interest

>> No.600982

>>593924
>A hammock is brilliant. Have any pictures of your setup?
>You guys are pulling me closer to a van. Is there anything I should know about them? I've only ever owned a car.
>I may need curtains for the night, but I was considering just limo tinting the back windows. No one has mentioned it yet, is it unwise?

No pictures, sorry. I bought S brackets to give me something to hang it on and hung it from the back of one of the front chairs to the rear, diagonally. I had 9 ft which was barely enough. It was an E-150.

Limo tint won't work. Any light inside will make you stick out. Trust me, there will be no place you feel hidden, ever. There are people everywhere. Anything that covers the windows will have to cope with condensation. I tried cardboard, which looked ghetto and fell apart within hours due to condensation. If I did it again, I'd put a curtain behind the front seats with some small walls coming out from the sides, so when the curtain drapes down light couldn't get past the sides. Same on the back. Maybe form the walls about 6 inches from the sides, paint them black and caulk them to the side. EPS foam would work well.

I cannot emphasize enough how exposed you will feel if you don't do this stuff. Finding somewhere to park is only half of the equation. You'll feel like you walked into Walmart naked if you're in the van with a laptop on at 10 PM. It gets attention. It glows, the screen flickers and flashes.

As far as the difference between a car and van - it's huge. There's no comfy sleeping in a car. The hammock sleeps better than a nice mattress! No joke. I miss it.

>> No.600997

Does anyone have that in depth infographic of the Van that's rigged with solar, I believe it was a Mercedes van? Would help OP and I also want it for a project myself?

>> No.601036

i`m really liking al this stuff im considering it myself as a temporary situation but one thing stands out to me

i get the gym membership and parking in a semi public place

but what about the toilet?
peeing in the middle of the night no worries but what if i had to go number 2 are there like desposible cheap chem toilets?

>> No.601050

>>601036
Your gym doesn't have a toilet?
Also chemical toilet if nature calls and you can't get to a place quickly.

>> No.601053
File: 2.78 MB, 1173x4609, 1382751571211.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>600997
Well since you asked nicely, I may have more van stuff.

>> No.601063

>>601036
Google "luggable loo". That and a five gallon bucket and some chemical should set you back about $20.

>> No.601279

Bump.

>> No.601303

>>601053
Not in this thread but I saw this on front page. I would make the solar panels folding to make the full coverage with impact resistant material on the cover when folded. A single pine cone, piece of falling ice or otherwise rainfall causing branches to let crap loose will cause a major problem here.

Folding brief cases to hold it would be an idea.

>> No.601307

>>601053
>add a potable tow cabin for portapotty, more solar panels, battery storage and tools/spare parts
Could work.

>> No.601312
File: 147 KB, 800x600, RM Terex ZZ3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Get an old van, find a friend with a metal shop, make a poor man's RM Terex ZZ3. Park anywhere, including water. Highways are right out, though. Tracks are too slow. Pic related.

>> No.601316

>>592827
>what sort of diet
easy, and physically compact. look up http://www.mtrfoods.com/products/product_category/2
and other MREs

delicious, nutritious, some other rhymey word.

these were dinner for over 4 months on an extended camping trip

>> No.601318
File: 93 KB, 567x394, power_AGM-battery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601053

Neat-o, but the batteries should be AGM (absorbed glass mat) types, as they're sealed
and don't leak hydrogen gas and are more efficient then deep-cycle batteries.

>> No.601324

I've been living out of my car for 4 years now. It can be irritating at times, but on the whole it's OK.

I started when I moved to Seattle for a job in 2008. I didn't have enough money to get past all the rental requirements so I started living out of my car.

One big mistake I made was doing it for too long. Most apartments only go back 1 year on rental history here, so I had none when I started looking for a new place.

They wanted too much to get me into an apartment. All the places I applied to wanted not only first/last and security deposit, but also a month's rent for low credit score, another month's rent for no rental history. Some places just wouldn't rent to me at all.

Unfortunately I lost my job to backstabbing coworkers. I do still make some money doing freelance work, but not much. That's only made my search for an apartment even harder.

There is a lot of discrimination towards the homeless, even ones that have jobs and make money.

Just remember to take that into account.

>> No.601380

>>600658
Tangent thought here, I wonder if it'd be possible to make a deal with a cleaning company or something to slap on their logo as advertising? You don't look shady, they get a driving billboard.

>> No.601392

>>593945
or those insulating/sound dampering/blackout curtains. the walMart brand = eclipse(?)
you can find them ceap on clearance & they're extremely versitile/effecient.

>> No.601413

>but what about the toilet?
>>593635

>> No.601500
File: 34 KB, 500x375, magnetic sign.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601380
> I wonder if it'd be possible to make a deal with a cleaning company or something to slap on their logo as advertising?

If you ask them, they'll just say no;
"Hi, I'm a weird homeless guy living out of my van, can I put your corporate logo on the side as camouflage?"

I'd suggest getting a flexible magnetic sign with a made-up company logo and fake phone number; "Industrial Consulting Services, Inc."
You might even consider getting 3-4 different company signs, allowing you to return to the same spot without being recognized as the same van from the night before?

>> No.601502
File: 101 KB, 720x643, 1393082205031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601324
> I've been living out of my car for 4 years now.

How does one deal with self-defense while homelessly roaming the countryside?
Do you have a concealed weapon license?

>> No.601522

>>601502
Probably by not being an insane racist.

>> No.601525

>>601522
> owning a gun = insane racist

ok...

>> No.601537

>>601502
Living in a car while holding down a job is hardly roaming the countryside. You will find that if you don't hang out with violent people and you don't go places that are unsafe you generally don't get fucked with.

I was "on the street" for 2 and a half years in my twenties after losing a job. I got a shit part time job soon after but had already lost my place. I was able to keep my car though and pay the rest of my bills. Let me tell you, living out of a '85 Chevy Cavalier is not fun, but I managed it. Showered at the cheapest gym in town, ate a lot of sandwiches, check out a lot of books and tapes from the library and kept to myself. I knew a guy how owned a storage unit complex then new my situation and he let me park in his parking lot overnight. I stayed about from drugs and alcohol, stayed away from shitty people and saved my pennies. I kept an eye out for a better job and finally landed one. 2 years later I bought my first house and have been basically on easy street since.

>> No.601541

>>601525
How tight is your tinfoil that you must be armed everywhere you go

>> No.601544

>>601541
>wow, how paranoid must you be that you might step on something! enjoy wearing shoes wherever you go

thats what you sound like, kid

>> No.601551

>>601541
>he doesn't know that being armed reduces the chance of injury of both parties in violent confrontations.

>> No.601555

>>601551
>doesn't know that being armed greatly increases the chance of being in a violent confrontation.

In other news, /k/ put a compilation video up on youtube of their best shooters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvz6cM_LeW4
My favorite is the kid at 2:09.

>> No.601559

>>601555
>doesn't know that being armed greatly increases the chance of being in a violent confrontation.

sauce?

>> No.601560

>>601559
Sure. You provide your source, I'll provide.

>> No.601566

>>601544
Yes, because stepping on a sharp object and not being hurt is the same as gunmurdering.

>> No.601572

>>601559
us department of justice crime statistics.
>>601566
why would murder someone just because you have a gun? Are you that evil? If so, then by all means stay away from them. I've had guns for ten years and have never murdered anyone.

>> No.601573

>>593128
Well, I think a minivan would be a lot less conspicuous than a truck with either a real camper on the back or something that you rigged together yourself, don't you?

>> No.601574

>>601560
Why wait?

All of these were first page google results:
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759797/
http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/abs/10.2105/AJPH.2008.143099
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=187806
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1485564/pdf/cmaj00266-0071.pdf
https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/Abstract.aspx?id=191355
http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/04/guns-in-the-home-lots-of-risk-ambiguity/

Oh and it raises your home/renters insurance costs. lulz.
http://realestate.msn.com/11-things-that-make-home-insurance-rates-soar#6

I ignored sources from clearly anti-gun related websites, of which their are many. Unimpartial sources are worthless sources. I stuck mostly to reputable publications as apposed to news outlets, which these days are use knee-jerk bullshit to attract eyeballs so they can sell ads, not inform people (bye bye CNN, Fox, etc). That said, I do own a firearm and I am not anti gun in the broad sense of the word. You just gotta know the risks and not drink the Kool-Aid. Guns are dangerous and they don't make you safer, but they have their uses. Cars are dangerous and they are not safer than walking/bus/train/plane, but they have their uses and I own one too. See what I'm saying?

>> No.601582

>>601559
but it decreases your chance of nonviolently giving your wallet to some asshole with a knife like a little bitch

>> No.601587

>>601582

No, it doesn't. It increase your chances of getting shot by said asshole and losing your wallet and your life. It also increases your odds of getting robbed in the first place (particularly in a home invasion), increases the chances of accidentally getting shot, increases the chances of successfully committing suicide and increases the odds that a loved one will be killed by a gun. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid. See >>601574

>> No.601610
File: 17 KB, 360x265, hooky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601522
>>601525
>>601541
>>601544
>>601551
>>601555
>>601559
>>601560
>>601566
>>601572
>>601573
>>601574
>>601582
>>601587

>> No.601612

>>601587
tl;dr version:
1/5 chance of an injury with the defensive use of a firearm while you are the victim of a violent attack
1/2 chance of an injury without a firearm or with any other weapon.

Self-defense with firearms

*38% of the victims defending themselves with a firearm attacked
the offender, and the others threatened the offender with the
weapon.

*A fifth of the victims defending themselves with a firearm
suffered an injury, compared to almost half of those who defended
themselves with weapons other than a firearm or who had no weapon.
Care should be used in interpreting these data because many aspects
of crimes--including victim and offender characteristics, crime
circumstances, and offender intent--contribute to the victims'
injury outcomes.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt>>601610
Mostly a lot of this though.

>> No.601622
File: 113 KB, 960x800, 1388422081572.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601612
>Except where noted, this brief excludes homicides, which NCVS does not measure.
>Rates do not include murder or nonnegligent manslaughter committed with handguns.

So, you have a single 22 year old study that only covers handguns and doesn't track crimes where there was a death in either party and you hold that up as a complete refutation of 8 different and more recent reports from >>601574 (not counting the one about renters insurance rates)? My, how far back we must delve and how we must twist the facts in order to get them to fit into our world view...

>> No.601632
File: 28 KB, 320x240, justsayin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>592827

I'm planning on doing the same next winter. It'll be easier, since I have a place to park, a little plot of land to work with. I'm assuming you'll be either roaming around the country, or parked street-side. Anyway, I'm only converting my truck because I already own it. You should look into buying an old Westfalia and winterizing it.

No amount of insulation will keep you warm at night. Let's just get that out in the open. It will, however, keep heat in. My bed was already coming off, NYS rust broke through one of the joints. I ripped off the bed and built a flatbed out of 2x4, a layer of insulation, and a plywood top. Atop this, once spring sets in, I'll build a basic cabin with insulated walls. You're probably going to have to make do with blankets and attic insulate.

As far as a heat source goes, electric's out, unless you want to a) buy and build an array of 12 volts and b) risk getting caught stealing power every morning to stay warm at night. Propane, while not safe due to CO and fire hazards in a small, unventilated space, might not be a bad idea. Don't run it while you sleep, always, always leave a window cracked. If you're parking in the city, this may be your best bet. If, like I do, you have somewhere to base your mobile home out of, consider wood he at. My buddy's got a spare Jotul stove, which takes care of heating and cooking for me. Eventually I'll convert it to a gasifier/generator. If you have money, buy a ventless pellet stove.

I'm assuming you're even poorer than I, so a propane fridge is out. I'm living in a cabin with no kitchen right now, and I freeze any expirables outside. Apart from the grains, pasta, canned goods, fruits, and breads others have mentioned, I buy sausages, kale and collards, and spinach and freeze them outdoors in a waterproof, air-tight, non-rusted ammo can. Great investment. Ramen is your friend, Clif bars are packed with nutrient, eggs and butter are fine at room temperature.

Peace.

>> No.601638
File: 720 KB, 1632x642, 1376004635189.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601572
What other purpose does a gun have than to kill?

>> No.601640
File: 69 KB, 578x433, bv_002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601632

Get an old army tent heater specifically "Space Heater, Small" (NSN 4520014789207) made by Hunter. Army surplus stores sometimes have them, and eBay. They run on diesel and, as long as you vent them out of the space you are in and its not air tight, they work great. Easy to use and the internal tank will run about 4-5 hours on the low setting. You can also hook them up to an external tank with the right hose (generally a 5 gallon diesel can). Pic related.

>> No.601656

>>601638
Threat? Injure? Exercise?

>> No.601682

>>601638
you can kill someone in self defense. That is not murder. Murder is a crime where you kill someone as an aggressive offensive action.

learn what words mean, bro

>> No.601691

>>601682
Shoot a person robbing your house once in the face, its self defense. Shoot them twice and its manslaughter. Shoot them in the back while they escape and its murder in the third degree. This all depends on if the DA feels like making a case or not. Sometimes they don't. Also varies by state. Some states have stand your ground laws, many don't. Some states qualify murder differently than others (no third degree murder for example).

Always have a shotgun and some deer slugs handy. Feel free to do whatever you want to the robber with whatever gun you have at hand, but shoot them in the body. Shot 'em in the back? No big deal. Dig the bullet out and prop them up in your house in a likely spot. Hit them again close range with a deer slug and no ME will be able to tell shit from shinola. Drag the body outside, and hopefully past the real shooting site to explain the extra blood, and just claim you wanted to limit the amount of blood that got all over your floor and that the fucker was clearly dead anyway. Had an Uncle do exactly this back in the 70's, they didn't even bother to take his statement it was so "clear" what happened. It helped that the robber had a record but what robber doesn't?

>> No.601703

>>593921

That is indeed an awesome idea.

I am in a similar situation, just less drastic. I like the passive propane heaters. Catalytic is the way to go so that you don't wear out your battery. Is there any easy way to calculate the air intake and exhaust requirement so I don't die in my sleep? Also, is it feasible to set up a low-oxygen alarm, or CO monitor?

>> No.601706

>>601703
Its a troll image dude, it doesn't work.

>> No.601709

>>593924
Don't count on Walmarts any more. Too many homeless people have taken up residence there so their corporate policy has changed a lot since the crash of '08. They will usually let you stay a night or two, but not set up residency.

Forget having a microwave, but 7-11's and other convenience stores have them and no one monitors them.

>> No.601739
File: 107 KB, 600x450, 10-22 takedown_foldingstock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601537
> You will find that if you don't hang out with violent people and you don't go places that are unsafe you generally don't get fucked with.

Sure, but sometimes bad things happen no matter how hard we try to avoid them and living
in a vehicle, (particularly "off the grid") leaves you much more exposed.

Not looking to turn this into a discussion on firearms but being able to defend yourself
(in whatever capacity) is always a good idea and anybody in this situation, ought to look
up the various regulations in the area they're living (transporting firearms/weapons, what
constitutes a "residence", etc).

>> No.601748

The rule of thumb for having a gun while living in a vehicle is to register the gun in your state if it's required and get a weapons permit or CCW. Don't fuck around and hope you'll be okay. Sort out the paperwork and do it right, unless you want the cops hauling you off to jail over what you think is nothing.

As for the microwave or other peripherals, look again at how truckers do it. Nowadays, it's typical to have a 2000-watt inverter installed to an auxiliary battery pack (usually 3 batteries - one to start the truck, two to run accessories). To run a microwave, laptop, small TV, or an electric Coleman cooler, you'll need at least a 1200-watt inverter (the cooler can operate on 12VDC). The inverter should be wired directly to the (+) battery and shortest possible ground line to the chassis. The microwave itself should be as little as you can get - between 600 and 800 watts. If you're using a battery bank, you'll be good to go. The trade-off is that you'll want the biggest fucking alternator you can fit under your hood, to recharge those batteries when the motor is running. Or, if you can manage it, solar cells could do the same job, but that would just be more money.

Much earlier in the thread, I said a van would be better than a pickup truck for this. I still think that, but all this stuff could be done if you've got a big enough pickup truck.

>> No.601750

Oh, and for bunk heat, they make diesel heaters for big rigs that keep the bedroom warm in the coldest of cold weather. They're super expensive though, and I don't know if they make gasoline versions. Maybe it's something to look into; maybe you could build something.

Alternatively, they also make electric bunk warmers - it's just a big electric heating pad that fits under the thin bunk mattress and keeps it hot as hell. If you go with the multi-battery system, such a heater would work. Set it on high to warm up, then low to maintain heat until morning.

>> No.601943

semi related
http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/choosevan.htm

>> No.601957

>>601537
>You will find that if you don't hang out with violent people and you don't go places that are unsafe you generally don't get fucked with.

I don't let the crazies define the boundaries of my travels. If you do, pretty soon they will have you confined to a 3' x 6' plot of land.

>> No.601970

>>601739
Depends on what you plan to do.

If you get a CCL/CWL/whatever your state has, then you should be fine having anything in your car, however this only applies if you stay in your state. Some freedom-negligent states like Illinois may not be very happy with you having a gun in your car so avoid travelling to other places unless you keep it locked up when passing through or you know if your CWL applies in that state. Make sure you also know the laws on what you can and can't have on it, if you drive through California with a rifle that has an >10 magazine and no bullet button you could be fucked if a cop looks your direction.

I'm not exactly sure about the laws regarding a gun locked up in a case and in the trunk when passing through a state. In a lot of places it's not an issue, but 4chan isn't a lawyer, so google it up or ask someone else.

>> No.601972

>>601970
Sorry if the second and last sentence wasn't really clear.

If your CWL applies in a state, it should be fine. If not, check the laws.

>> No.601978

>>601972
example: California ccl is by county.

>> No.601998

>>601978
Really? I didn't know that. It's also may-issue if you ever considered getting a cali permit. (Basically, good luck)

A recent court ruling might change that in the next few months/years but who knows how long that'll take.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/ This could help you out if you ever plan on travelling out of state while carrying a weapon in your car.

>> No.602036
File: 225 KB, 818x977, ca_ccw_map-big.png~original.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601998

>> No.602955

>>601998
Not any more, San Diego just lost at the 9th Circus. Sheriff has announced that he does not intend to appeal (because it is likely he would lose at the Supreme Court, and the anti's are hoping one of the conservatives on the Court dies before Obama leaves office).

>> No.603638
File: 36 KB, 640x480, truck3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i "lived" in this for a year. didn't need no gun. but it had a hunting club sticker on it. utility caps are ideal because you can climb in from the sides. I didn't have insulation, just a "-15 degrees comfort rating" sleeping bag and a lil buddy. and I wore one of those thingys that covers your whole head except for the eyes and mouth when it was cold. get a work van.

>> No.603645
File: 45 KB, 450x338, 1393466363240.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Protip: Buy one of these and dig a secret passage from the sleeper to the cargo bay.

>> No.603669

My brother lives out of his toyota tacoma during the winter as a rock climbing bum in southern california/nevada/utah. He has a standard size topper on the bed of the truck.
There's a riser on one side that is a platform for sleeping on, and the height is made to fit a few small sterilite totes of stuff underneath. It's made out of plywood and some sort of softwood. He also used thick polarfleece to make blackout shades for stealth camping, with the dual benefit of insulation. He uses a winter sleeping bag in the mummy style, and uses a system of layering clothes to stay warm.

He uses a small white gas camp stove - the kind that screws directly into the canister. When he visited he partitioned out a month's worth of food that he could take up on routes in little baggies - he basically made his own trail mix from the bulk bins at the grocery store, and would do fruit, omelettes or oatmeal for breakfast. Dinner is a social thing with the guys he climbs with, so I don't know what they do. He's got a small cooler and a 5 gallon water dispenser as well. There are showers at truck stops and public pools.

>> No.603672

>>592857
In theory couldn't you have driven to a warmer place? That is an advantage americans have. I know if I did this in Canada, I couldn't just drive to some place warmer and set up camp.

>> No.603746

>>603672
you'd probably have to move a few hundred miles in some direction to get any change in climate, so gas prices are prohibitive

>> No.603754

>>603672
I... what? I had work to do. Driving to... I guess California... would have put a bit of a damper on my ability to see clients. Besides that I would have thrown away all my local friends, contacts, known resources, and so on. The cold was never an issue anyway, hence my suggestion of a minivan.

>> No.604172 [DELETED] 

>>601502
>>601522
>>601525
>>601541
>>601544
>>601551
>>601555
>>601559
>
>>601560
>>601566
>>601572
>>601573
>why would murder someone just because you have a gun? Are you that evil? If so, then by all means stay away from them. I've had guns for ten years and have never murdered anyone.
>>601574
>>601582
>>601587
>>601612
>>601622
>>601638
>>601656
>>601682
>>601691
>>601957
>>601970
>>601972
>>601978
>>601998
>>602036
>>602955

guys

>> No.604173

>>601502
>>601522
>>601525
>>601541
>>601544
>>601551
>>601555
>>601559
>>601560
>>601566
>>601572
>>601573
>>601574
>>601582
>>601587
>>601612
>>601622
>>601638
>>601656
>>601682
>>601691
>>601957
>>601970
>>601972
>>601978
>>601998
>>602036
>>602955

guys

>> No.604203

>>600982
hammocking in my college dorm. I don't think I'll get a mattress until I get a wife. It's so much better for my back.

>> No.604758

>>594562
Seconded. I've been living in my older 23' Motorhome for going on 4 years now. I have it parked at a friend's horse ranch and trade chores for most of rent/utilities. My income was well below $5K last year and I got to bike and ski whenever I liked (It helps to have a motorcycle, as well). It's been a fun few years, but alas, I start working full time again next week and may be moving back to the city.

>> No.604763
File: 176 KB, 781x608, intensifications.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Imagine, a semi with cab to live in and workshop trailer with cab access.

>> No.604772

>>604763
This is my bug-in vehicle

>> No.605233

>>601502
Murica

>> No.606240

>>601303
just put them in a skibox
it also will help you blend in the crowd as a van with roof filled with solar panels might actually get some attention

>> No.606278
File: 472 KB, 3264x2448, sprinterschemlifepo4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>601053
I made that, it is a very old draft of my project.

I ended up ditching the idea of using lead acid batteries in favor of LiFePO4-Supercapacitor batteries.

I also ditched the idea of using an alternator and internal combustion engine. Considering $10,000 would go into the project, I have decided that an electric conversion using a Warp 13 electric motor and a 80KwH battery bank would be the most efficient way of living out of a van. This is because you can hit up fast charging stations to refill your vehicle and auxilary banks. Paired with a 12v compressor you can have 24-7 AC, and using another you can have an energy efficient mini refrigerator (both PID).

The project will still use solar panels too, but I am waiting for graphene to further its development as that will be the most energy dense, lightweight, and efficient option available. Ideally when the van is not in use, the vehicle can be solar charged and have a free 10 miles of driving a day.

Other than that, I have found some good 12v diesel generators for auxilary backup systems, and a cheap inverter can also hook to AC lines.

>> No.606294

>>601500
you sure wouldn't look like some scam artist if a cop pulled you over. that's for sure.

>> No.606313

>>601706
WHAT?

>> No.606314

My only hesitation in this whole discussion is what happens if you have a wreck?

>> No.606332

>>606313
not same anon but thermodynamics doesn't work like that, you're getting the same amount of heat off the flame either way, if anything the pot creates resistance and makes the flame less effective.

>> No.606334

>>606314
don't do that.

RV insurance is pretty cheap though if you could get your vehicle recognized as one.

>> No.606345

>>606314
Shit flies all over.

>> No.607284

I'm way too insomnia to read all that has been posted but I lived out of the back of my truck for a year including winter in Nebraska/Colorado.

It was a 1998 Dodge Dakota, (Still drive it) with a camper topper.

I used an expedition weight ThermaRest as a bed, and lashed a childs chest of drawers and a Sterlite chest of drawers thing to the side for clothes/pantry. a strip of 1 inch webbing with a buckle held them shut while driving.

My stove was an MSR Dragonfly, I ate mostly rice/beans, pasta, and fresh fruits/veggies.

I had a gym membership for showering and filling my water supply, stole electricity from a few electrical outlets at city parks I would overnight at.

It worked pretty well for me, all in all.

>> No.607489

>>606278
holy shit thanks for the update, keep it up. no sarcasm.

>> No.608210
File: 32 KB, 1142x384, 696868416_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>607489
I dont know if you were there for the original thread about that project but it has come a long way.

I have my sprinter now, but Im waiting until its paid off before I tear it apart. Its going slow because Im paying rent right now and only saving about $200 a month towards the additional project costs. Once its paid off Ill probably rig a solenoid to a simple 10kwh bank, build the 12v AC system, get an inverter to charge it from a $100 a month storage unit, and install the solar/ev chargers.

That way at that point I can at least move out of my house to save more than $200 a month.

I wont pull the ICE out until I have the electric motor (7000lb payload comes at a painful $5000 cost). When I do, Ill also pull out the dashboard and go 100% digital (easier that way honestly) powered an ARM based microcontroller that analyzes sensor input from my motor controller, battery controller, and other sensors.

Part of the dashboard will use LCDs from rackmount server displays, and camera feeds from left and right mounted cameras so I can see the blindspots easier. The vehicle is not the longest sprinter available, but its still long, so seeing those blindspots is useful.

There will also be a backup camera, and I will use my old nexus 7 8GB with a stripped down version of android that only has music, GPS, and logging.

Whats wonderful is my insurance will be amazing low, having all those cameras I will record the feeds from their network addresses and have a terabyte network drive to store them all. I will write a script to pull files from the drives image that are older than a month, and process them down to 1 frame per minute of footage, which will then store them on a second drive for me to fast forward through my vans entire journey.

I dont want to be tracked through my nexus's GPS by anyone other than myself, so longs will be compressed and encrypted, then emailed daily over my local network to my mailserver. Plus RV insurance & Tax writeoffs for EV/Solar.

>> No.608214

>>608210
Other than that I want to RF shield the entire van so it will survive through a nuclear emp, coronal mass ejection, and my wireless devices will leave no trace. The insulation will use woven copper mesh. This part sounds really tinfoil hatish, but with any vehicle containing an electric motor, capactiors, and large battery banks, you do not want them to be damage, or worse, being overcharged wirelessly from the sky. One coronal mass ejection could well destroy thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Unlikely? Maybe. Expensive? Yes. Considering it costs a few bucks for enough mesh to double layer the hole thing, it's money well spent while doing the insulation.

The next part of the insulation will be mylar, this is to keep heat signatures inside the van undetectable from surveillance while also acting like a pizza bag during summers and winters, keeping the heat on the right side.

After that I will have rockwool for sound insulation, so I can watch a movie, talk, or fuck my girlfriend without listeners. Also notable is that vans have a 'drumming' effect that can drive you mad. If any of you have ever been homeless in the city you may also know that it can be hard to sleep hearing cars go by, or if you're sleeping in a parking lot, hearing a car next to you can scare you from sleep.

>> No.608219
File: 142 KB, 700x467, turuckserv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I also want to make a separate post to share my street smarts with you guys. Some of these tips may have been posted, others may not.

>Where to park
Get a private investigators license. You are now partyvan status and can park pretty in pretty much any neighborhood overnight. If a cop bothers you then just say you've been contracted to investigate in the area overnight, if he catches you sleeping, you were on a stakeout. Don't be stupid and milk the same areas too much. Also BE NORMAL. My neighbors have fucks parking in the area between our houses all the time, its annoying, but normal for a night. PARK BETWEEN HOUSES.
Take it to the next level and get a high gain wifi antenna to wardrive neighborhoods, it will make you look like that much more of a surveillance van. You could also get one of those parabolic microphones and even have a shot at actually being a private investigator.

Getting a magnet for the side of your van can also be your excuse for being in an area, maybe be a plumber, an onsite technician, ac guy, etc. If your number is there and your annoying someone, maybe they'll call it for a complaint so you know you should leave.

24 hour businesses like walmart are possible too every now and then, park in with everyone else, not off to yourself. If you have money, an RV lodge is the best bet.

>Bathrooms
I would highly recommend against putting any form of bathroom in your vehicle. You don't put a bathroom in your civic, with a vehicle you are mobile and have the advantage of driving to the nearest restroom. Save yourself sewage and water costs. Nothing is stealthy about a stinking septic tank full of shit. I have traveled with hippies who have 'piss jars', NO. If you must, get a camping toilet with a few trashbags for dire emergencies. It's basically a folding chair with a hole for your poop. Dispose ASAP.

>> No.608225

>>608219
cont..

>Hygiene
Brushing and flossing is important, have a jerrican with water you refill at walmart regularly. Use it to refill a water flosser to floss and dampen your toothbrush. You're going to need to spit, and use mouthwash, so keep whatever plastic bottle you used last and toss it when you have a new one. Try not to keep a 'spit bottle' for long, its as gross as having a pissjar.

You can take floss and a toothbrush into a public restroom, or spit outside, but those are not always options.

Use an electric razor to shave, its not as close as a razor with shaving cream, but its cleaner and doesn't need water.

>Showering
Gym membership. Try to find a 24 hour gym if you stay in one area, otherwise look for a gym that has nationwide membership. $20-30 a month is a small price for staying clean, and if you agree to a annual membership you might get a discount. Ask for a tour to make sure they have showers, keep a hygiene bag and a towel in the van.
Some gyms limit the amount of visits per month, you might only be able to shower every 3 days, but that's fine, I shower 2-3 times a week anyway.

>Laundry
Simple. Laundromat.

>Food
You shouldnt have much bills so eating out shouldn't be a problem, but try to get a daily multivitamin if you do. Also if you're living in a vehicle, try applying for EBT if your income isn't so high - if you tell them you're homeless living in a car you're pretty much garunteed $200 a month.

Personally I'd avoid stoves like butane burners, too dangerous and not enough ventilation. Use microwaves at gas stations.

If you have electricity a refrigerator like the waeco cf-35 is pretty nice (your starter battery should not be used for this!). If not, a cooler with with a rack (ice melts) is your only option.

>> No.608309

>>601053
This gave me a red hot erection.

>> No.608335
File: 109 KB, 713x550, Wranglerstar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This video covers a lot of the nuts and bolts of converting your van:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PjMHvSQEmo

>> No.608343

http://www.hobostripper.com/hobo-articles/

>> No.608514

>>608214
Sprinter gas mileage might be a bitch.

>> No.608563

>>608514
its a fair ~20mpg

>> No.608565

>>608563
That was unexpected, I expected something of that size to be quite the gas guzzler.

>> No.608581

>>608565
the diesel ones probably fair even better. I'd opt for one of those and try van living in colorado, have a property of industrial hemp for subsistence biodiesel.

>> No.608599

>>608581
>have a property of industrial hemp for subsistence biodiesel.
Ahajahahdagh

>> No.608629

>>608599
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp#Fuel

doesn't produce a whole lot, but its the easiest and cleanest way of producing it. Considering its a weed it doesn't require much TLC.

>> No.608636

>>600657
>>600658
i lived in my work van for a while after getting REKT with a divorce,it was a chevy savana 2500 yeah cargo vans no one will know or think someone is living in there. problem is gas mileage is SHITTY! and if you HAVE to take a shit inside well the smell is overwhelming..
not bad overall i'd live in a van if i didn't have familrry and kids. save a LOT of money that way

>> No.608639

I had a friend ho did this. He was a poet, photographer, and trubidor.

He moved south for winter north for summer.
His set up was built on the frame of an old diesel truck.
He weilded a platform onto the frame, and build up the "cabin" using light gage steal 2x4. Insulated it with spray foam.

The outside was corrugated tin, screwed to the frames. He sealed the joints with roof tar, in and out.

Inside was a that folded against wall, when bed was folded had a desk/table, storage everywhere.

Had a cold water tank, propane tank, camp stove, lights, ( led would be the way to go now) and a solar panels, yaht battery set up.

He also had a solar hot water set up, and an out side shower.

The shower was the coolest part. It was built on the side of the truck. Had a little grated platform on hinges, that was raised of the ground and a shower nossle on an arm that siveled out. Then a simple screen he could dlipnon and pull around.

If he was in an urban area, he would put a bucket under the platform, to catch the water from his navy shower. Then he could dispose off it some where off sight.

He also had a power outlet set up. He would often find outlets on light posts in parking lots, pull up and have power for the night, or top off his batteries.

I wish I had pictures of it, but this was 10 years ago, and I can't find them.

Dude was cool, he died at sea, but that's another story.

>> No.609980

Just one thing.

If you decide to use a propane burner to heat up the ambient, for god's sake get a carbon monoxide detector.

And always always ALWAYS turn it off before going to sleep.

That said, if you're looking for extremely low cost solar panels check out aliexpress.com.

Buy the single cells and solder them yourself.
It's a bit of a pain in the ass and you need to know basic electronic, but it's insanely cheaper then buying premade panels and you can shape the array however you want, to cover the entire surface of your van.

>> No.609983

>>592827
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

>> No.610934

>>608639
>He was a poet, photographer, and trubidor.
>he died at sea
Holy fuck he sounds like a legend

>> No.610950

>>608639
tell story of sea death please.

>> No.611262

>>610950
>>610934

>> No.611621

>>592857
holy shit r u me?
same story (-95 Honda Odyssey + 94 Nissan Quest)^mild drug addiction/hatred for everybody.

Honestly? it was good times.

>> No.611625

>>611621
Uh. Sure buddy, except I didn't hate anyone nor any drug issues. Glad it worked out?

>> No.611694

>>592857
This guy gets it, it was genius to join a gym for the base hygene.

>> No.611704
File: 48 KB, 369x369, 1365890182553.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>611625
i'll tie you down and cut off your eyelids just to make you watch me rape and scalp your wife, children and parents.

>> No.611751
File: 456 KB, 1656x1242, 94-97RamVan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have found older "custom vans" to be reasonably cheap. My van is similar to pic related, but light colored. The opening screened windows on these vans will let a breeze through.
We striped the seats from the rear of ours and built a platform for the air mattress. We store gear under the platform. We don't live in it, but camp a bit. Keep it clean and nondescript and you are unlikely to have problems.

>> No.611886

>>611751
How's the inside?

>> No.611899
File: 1.80 MB, 2592x1944, lminterior.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>611886
We have a wooden platform which brings us up to window level. We have carpet on the platform and air mattress with memory foam pad.
There is about 3' between the back on the seats and the platform, we keep our ice chest there.

>> No.611958

About parking placed,

Cant you just ask the authoroties/police where can you park?

Officer sorry to bother you i just got homeless but still have my van, i dont want to break any law, could you tell me where i could park safely without bothering you guys?

Do that at the police station, really cops are not pigs, i ñearned that akimg cops for stuff is a good thing, you make them feel powerful without the need of harasing you, merciful gods if you like

>> No.612205
File: 2.90 MB, 4320x2432, 1394987318363.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been living out my van for 2 months now, albeit in my friend's front lawn. Some stuff:

I have only ever pooped in my van one time. I put two plastic shopping bags into a large Tupperware container and basically just squatted while holding the container against my butt. Wipe, ttoss TP into the plastic bags, tie it off and throw it outside in the garbage. Wouldn not recommend, it smelled like butt for a day in there.

Windows are blacked out with a black tarp I got for $8 at a hardware store. Cut it to size, and duct tape it in. It tends to fall off though.

Lighting is a few stick on lights stuck to the ceiling. They don't stick forever, so I would recommend screwing the plastic part on the back into the roof.

This van came with blinds/curtains, but they don't keep light from getting out very well. Planning to do an overhaul soon. Also, I pull the interior light fuse out and hang out with the side door open at night (friends property so nobody bugs me).

>> No.612207

>>612205
And now, I pose a question: how do I keep from roasting alive in this thing? It's fine for a mild winter, but I'm in Arizona and it gets real hot real fast in there. By 9am every morning, I'm already awake because of the heat.

>> No.612231

>>593945
Tinting in general is a bad idea, cops are going to stop you at every turn to measure how tinted your windows are.

>> No.612320

>>612231
If it's a cargo or utility vehicle, the only tin regulation is on the front windows.

>> No.612334

>>611958
In most places in the US, living in a car is illegal. At least on public property.

>> No.612361

I was awoken at 2am by a security guard in a Walmart parking lot who told me I couldn't sleep there. He told me to move to a Home Depot parking lot where I was awoken at 7am by all the Mexicans looking for work.

And yeah, I hear here in Arizona in certain areas the cops will tow your vehicle if you're sleeping in it. There was a couple (I think) of females living in a van in front of the store I work at. I was going to chat them up, but after a few weeks they moved on.

>> No.612423

>>612361
Oh man, shit just got real. My friend's wife just booted me out of their front lawn.

>> No.612443

>>612334
What? What you should do then? Park yhe car and sleep outside?

>> No.612445

>>612443
I should elaborate: I'm the guy from the last few posts who was living in my van in their front lawn. Gotta find a new home base to park at I guess.

>> No.612535

>>612207
Vents nigga.
2 or so.

>> No.612667

>>612535
I'm thinking of renting a storage unit that I can park my van inside of to keep it out of the heat.

>> No.612751

I am in the process of making my S-10 Livable

2door with extended cab 4Cyl 5speed manual trans

Just got a cap for the 6 foot bed

Going to build a wood platform that will sit just above the wheel wells and then seal the cap on so no air/water will leak thru

Maybe ill make some storage but I plan to just fucking sleepingbag it up back there..

Dunno why you guy's are going so overboard when all you gotta do is turn your bed..into a bed

>> No.612835

Ditch the truck, get a sailboat, thank me later.

>> No.613160

Seems like the movie Real Steel had a good idea about living in a truck. Looked pretty neat, too. Also, you'll have a boxing robot, so there's that.

>> No.614256

>>601053
Any other conversions like this, making it RV like?

>> No.615349

>>606278
>The project will still use solar panels too, but I am waiting for graphene to further its development
haha ok
it'll be a while you know..like half a decade or so

>> No.615393

>>593921
>>593927
This is BS, and I seriously wish the guy that keeps posting it everywhere would stop. Maybe he works at a terracotta pot factor or something.

>> No.615449

>>600622
>"so I can charge my iPhone and iPad"

is this guy a regular stealth camper or is this guy just on vacation?
I'd assume that if you live in your damn car you're pretty much broke or on ultra-saving mode

>> No.615749

Do what I did, buy a shitty house in a shitty ghetto neighborhood. Keep your car so you're not walking to the gooddamn bus stop surrounded by blacks who want to kill you.
You an live in the house while you fix it up and you can search for a job. Cost of living is cheap. Brought my place for 6,000. Spent the last 4 years fixing it up.

>> No.615788

>>615749
>Brought my place for 6,000
City?

>> No.615833

>>615749
No, do what I did. Get a high-paying job, climb the ladder, and make a shit ton of money. Rent a place for 2k a month and don't even give a fuck

>> No.615866

>>615788
Philtydelphia.
>>615833
Yeah, you can do this. I also do this, minus the 2k in rent.

>> No.615937

>>592827
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

here dude, better than 4chan

>> No.615946

>>615866
>>615833
OP clearly wants to inawoods. why would he climb any ladder unless its one he's personally hewn from driftwood?

>> No.616594

Would you guys feel save having your whole life in your truck if you only had a canvas/pvc canopy?

Because thats what my truck has and I can't afford a fiberglass one.

>> No.616690

>>616594
Your whole life is garbage and everyone walking by will see that immediately, so I wouldn't worry about it.

>> No.618244

bump

>> No.618445

>>618244
Top kek

>> No.618500

>>593045
>slide in camper
Is it bad that I wouldn't mind living in one of these? If it had a place to use my computer and a little toilet/shower combo inside, I'd be fine with that. It would suck having to plug into generators, haul in water, etc. but there are worse fates.

Might honestly look into buying one of these before it happens.

>> No.618516

>>618500
It's nice with just two people.. maybe two adults & a kid.. beyond that it's too cramped.

Bit as a single living quarters, slide in campers are perfect.

>> No.618531

A Volvo 770 would suffice, but if you are planning to be north of Montana I suggest that you sound proof the truck with DinoMat, this will act as isolation also pack any hollow spaces with fiber matting. A ThermoKing Generator is a must, without it you will hemorrhage cash like a decapitated chicken. Of course a Microwave and a refrigerator go along with you & the truck. note: you need a sleeping bag to take with you rated@ sub-60 for those times that your fuel gels up and you can't get the fucker started.
>>592827
> Living in truck
> The scope of the project is sort
> of broad. Tell me if there's
> a better place to post this.
>
> I'm thinking about living in
> truck in a relatively cold climate.
> I'll buy the truck and build
> the infrastructure (bed, shelves,
> insulation, etc) myself. I'll
> use an inverter for charging
> small electronics while the truck
> is off. I'm new to all of this.
> What sort of truck would you
> get? What sort of wood would
> you use? A fridge and microwave
> are likely out of the question,
> so what sort of diet should I
> aim for? Can I safely install
> the inverter on my own or should
> I get more skilled help? If you
> did this, what would your setup
> look like? Any tips or potential
> problems?
>
> Thanks

which ionrotn

>> No.618574

Jesus, moot needs to make a /bin/ for you fuckers trying to live in shit like this

>> No.618831

>>618574
>Jesus, moot needs to make a /bin/ for you fuckers trying to live in shit like this
Enjoy your self imposed sedentary ball and chain life, bro.

>> No.619450

>>618574
That's actually a bretty güd idea.