[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 68 KB, 347x700, 1389747823088.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
582779 No.582779 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/. I don't really browse this board but i'm assuming I could get some help here. Does pic related actually work? Are there any ways it can be improved?

>> No.582788

Yes, it could work.
Improvement: delete pic and do this instead:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

>> No.582804

>>582788
>http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/
and saved. Thanks anon

>> No.582805
File: 77 KB, 850x768, 1389750027009.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>582779
Delete that image from your PC and replace it with this image.

>> No.582821

>>582805
Actually in an undisturbed spot you can do without an airlock as the yeast will make a CO2 blanket over the kreusen.Also. no need to age or rack as this is destined to be just hooch.
It won't have a fragrant bouquet. It will have a 14.9% alcohol content according to Beersmith2.

>> No.582823

>>582821
Agreed on the sanitation , though.

>> No.582835

use white wine yeast. its pricier than beer yeast. bakers yeast makes booze taste like shit. dont forget you are just drinking yeast piss and different yeasts are bred to piss differently.

>> No.582836

>>582821
oh yeah sure you can do without the airlock if you don't mind a much higher failure rate and dont care about wasting your time washing out every 4/5 barrels because you've fucked it up. just do what they did in ye old times. don't use sanitation or an airlock and every so often you'll get something worth drinking.

>> No.582896

>>582835
Wine yeast is generally cheaper from what i've seen. Lalvin and Red Star wine yeasts are generally like 99c a pack, wheras most dry beer yeast is like 3 bucks. But i mean, either way there's not even anything pricy about either.

>> No.582926

>>582821
It really depends heavily on where you live. The reason for the airlock is consistency of the brew and prevention of infection due to environment. Not every place is the same. You can be as anecdotal as fuck, but the fact is, that is a reddit-born troll image for /b/.

>> No.582938

That recipe ("mash bill") probably won't work. Most commercial juice in US has an inhibitor that will generally prevent fermentation. The sugar may overcome that, but even if it did, it would probably significantly slow down the fermentation. That + lack of general sanitation + lack of airlock prob means you'll be drinking something gross. If you're that serious about it, just buy a beer kit. It will taste way better and will probably only be $15-$20 more.

>> No.582945

>>582823
>>582821
>>582805
>>582779

Anyone actually ever tried?

>> No.582976

>>582945
i've made plenty of homebrews
different method though.

>> No.582984

Homebrewing isn't that complicated. Agreed with above, read up on homebrewtalk or northernbrewer.

Most of the stuff that can infect a brew isn't that dangerous, usually its just a loss of palatability, or how shitty something might taste.

With enough sugar and a few nutrients, you could even capture a wild yeast, and once it's bubbling good slap an airlock on.

If you want high alc % make sure to check what the yeast can handle, many beer yeasts will max out pretty low, 10% or less. Champagne yeast will give you a clean flavor profile, and produce much higher alc %.

I've never been carded in any homebrew store for buying supplies, a far as I know they aren't controllled anywhere. An airlock and stopper are like $1 each, no excuse not to have one really.

Sugar will get you a long ways, but yeast can't live on just sugar, they need some nutrients. One option is using several kinds of juice and hoping for the best. Another option is putting in some raisins (yeast love raisins, its why wine from grapes became so popular vs other wine, because it was so easy to make, and an ideal nutrient/sugar profile for wild yeasts).

The homebrew store also sells yeast nutrient if you want to go that way.

Rack (pour/siphon) your brew off the yeast cake if you want to avoid the yeasty flavors, or just don't worry about it. It won't hurt you any.

Enjoy

>> No.583010

>>582779
that pic is totally BS, it doesn't even say when to add the salty coins

>> No.583024

>>582835
>bakers yeast makes booze taste like shit
Not necessarily true, some drinks I have fermented actually turned out better with bakers over wine/beer yeast.
I have not tried making juice cider, so I'm not sure which yeast would be best, only way to find out is to experiment

>> No.583026

>>582945
Several people on 4chan have tried it. The failure rate seems to be about 50/50. Some got an okay brew and others got infected brews they had to toss out.

>> No.583037
File: 14 KB, 300x300, 1389792664458.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeast needs sugars, any type: white sucrose, brown, molasses, honey, maple syrup, glucose from fruit, even powdered 10X will work if dissolved.

They also need nutrients, which can be found in acids and tannins, naturally occurring in fruits: citric acid (oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes, etc) - in fact many southern (USA) recipes call for a grapefruit thrown in the mash, tannins (usually bitter): found in the skins of fruits mentioned above, as well as in grape skins (and raisins, reds are better than whites), prune skins, plum skins - basically any of the slightly waxy, dark skins

My question is, why make cider that /might/ taste good, when you can spend $10 more dollars and make a really good wine from Kosher Concord Juice (kosher because no additives - just grape juice, water, and sucrose sugar) or the frozen juice concentrates that don't contain sulfites?

>> No.583889

>>582836
I brew ~ 150 to 250 Gallons a year and if I've learned anything it's to not over think it. People have been brewing for at least 10,000 years and didn't even know what germs were. Also a lot of Belgian beers are fermented in open vats exposed to the air to catch wild yeast.

>> No.583893

>>583889
>People have been brewing for at least 10,000 years and didn't even know what germs were.

A lot of people say this. Only they don't know how much wasted gallons of brew there was back then or how much rot gut it caused.

>Also a lot of Belgian beers are fermented in open vats exposed to the air to catch wild yeast.

True, but that is also monitored and only works in certain locations. Some places have the wrong kind of microbes in the air and you end up with bitter water every time.

The reason for proper sanitation and airlocks is for consistency of the brew. You get the same thing all the time and it always works. Why not do it? Unless you are experimenting of course.

>> No.583899

>>582805
The only thing true about this is the sanitization.
It needs to be sanitized. Everything.

The rest is not true really.
For a simple cider recipe like that, two months in primary is as good as you'll get. Racking is not necessary either unless you want your cider as clear as possible.

>> No.583909

>>583037

Protip: Dont use molasses as your main sweetener. All the sweetness goes away and your left with bitter, brown water.