[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 116 KB, 320x240, fusor_plasma.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
561148 No.561148 [Reply] [Original]

So, /diy/kes, I want to build one of two things: Either a Farnsworth Fusor capable of entering "star mode", or some sort of Soniluminescence lamp capable of producing light visible to the naked eye.

See, when my wife and I were still a new couple, I used my super nerd powers (the Internet) to discover that a very bright Iridium flare was going to be visible from our apartment's parking lot about ten minute after she got home from work. So, I told her that I had stolen a star for her, and that after she had seen it, it would vanish because it was HER star, and no just anyone could see it. So, I took her outside, showed her where to look, and right on cue, there was the Iridium flare. Then, after a few moments, it vanished. She was pretty confused, but we had a lot of sex that night, so I think the romance worked.

So now, I'd like to give her a "star in a jar". There's no way I'd be able to finish it by Christmas, but I'd like to make her one, and then give it to her for some special occasion.

Does anyone have any experience making either one of these? I've very little machinist experience, and don't have access to my own workshop, BUT, I'm a very fast learner, and I'm pretty good with complex things, so I'll be able to pull at least one of these off without accidentally killing or harming anyone/anything.

So, any tips, /diy/?
>pic related

>> No.561150

>>561148
>but we had a lot of sex that night
You like sex, don't you?

>> No.561151

Not that I really know, but I've understood that a simple /diy/ sonoluminescent setup isn't something you give. Every time you want it to work, you'll spend non-negligible amount of time to set it up. Then it works for a while.

>> No.561155

>>561150
>You like sex, don't you?
Yes'm.

>>561151
Hmm... I'm hoping the fusor isn't the same way.

Even if I just show it to her working once, I think she'll feel loved.

>> No.561171

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sun-jar

You could improvise with frosted glass and an LED like these things.

>> No.561178

A fusor is not a damn lava lamp. We are talking high voltage and xray dangers even in the weakest of setups.

>> No.561189

>>561178
What is one of those things even for?
I mean, what practical use is there for them, other than producing neutrons?

>> No.561192

>>561189
Nuclear fusion at home.
Isn't that reason enough?

>> No.561193

>>561192
Not if it's not going to turn a profit so I can run stuff with it.

>> No.561199
File: 27 KB, 640x480, 2007-04-28.24kV.7mA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>561193
Most hobbies.
Lot of people really believed they could break even with the device.
Polywell can't even do that yet...lol

>> No.561202

>>561199
But, how would a hobbyist dispose of the metal components that have been blasted with neutrons?
I can't imagine that kind of disposal is cheap.

>> No.561205

>>561193
Just like aeromodelism. They can't transport people but working miniature aircraft is still cool.

>> No.561207

Just so everyone is clear, high voltage/current, gamma ray radiation, free neutron radiation, and x-ray radiation will, of course, all be protected against.

>>561171
Neat

>>561178
>A fusor is not a damn lava lamp. We are talking high voltage and xray dangers even in the weakest of setups.
If I had the resources, and thought she might like one, I would create a damned black hole in our backyard. (Carefully, of course.)

>http://www.fusor.net/
I'll be proceeding soon enough.

>> No.561209

>>561202
I meant to say most hobbies are just big expenses.

But from what I understand even if you do go through the effort of using and fusing deuterium, the neutron flux is really low. Xrays are a much bigger problem. It should be noted, in a fusor, you can make a nice glowing ball with just air, no fusion necessary.

>> No.561231

>>561205
Yea, but I can use my r/c plane for aerial surveillance of my lands, finding lost livestock, etc. It has a practical function.

>> No.561274

>>561231
99% of them are just for fun.

>> No.561280

>>561189
What's the practical use of a Tesla coil?

>> No.561295

>>561280
Wireless power transmission, like it's always been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEFVRUGWHKM

>> No.561335

This would be perfect. Maybe I'll try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38xVBd60yas

>> No.561364

You basically need a neon sign transformer, ceramic standoffs, vacuum pump, and a vacuum enclosure. Spot welder helps.

I think the vacuum pump noise would kill the romance though. Same goes for sonoluminescence, it's damned noisy.

>> No.561390

>>561364
Thanks Anon. I think the biggest hurdle for me will be the vacuum stuff. The noise isn't going to be an issue, but thanks for that heads up!