[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 783 KB, 2048x1536, 0405121028.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
551041 No.551041 [Reply] [Original]

Is 3d printing the future?

>> No.551044

no, now is the future, and 3d printing is the past.

>> No.551062

>>551041

Near future? No. Cost per unit produced is still way to high for full production runs. Its great for prototyping though. 20 years or more down the line I think we'll see a lot more of them.

>> No.551064
File: 109 KB, 710x554, 3d printed sat die.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551041
3d printing is the past, present, and future.

Please don't over-hype it!

>> No.551066
File: 30 KB, 530x297, 3D-Printed-Turbine-Engine-Part.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>551062
>>Cost per unit produced is still way to high for full production runs
If you are making a small production run(IE for aircrafts, super cars, medical equiplement) or a small product it makes sense today.

>> No.551069

>>551041
It's a great tool for hobbyists, artists and students to use and we're already seeing a lot of good output. It's not going to change general consumers buying factory made goods in stores. Normal people don't want to go through the effort of 3D printing their own forks even if it gets ea lot faster and easier.

>> No.551089

Google "3D print a house".

>> No.551185
File: 18 KB, 252x179, front-252x179.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A small portion of the population buys low-volume products from Kickstarter or eclectic crafts from Etsy. Those are the people who will buy or use 3D printing.

The vast majority of the population buys mass-produced crap from Walmart. They buy the same shit as everyone else, so they only buy stuff that is produced in qualities of millions. 3D printing is irrelevant to the kinds of merchandise these sheeple consume.

>> No.551189

>>551185
Someone said something similar about regular printers. Now there's nearly one with ever PC.

>> No.551238

>>551041
3d printers are already going through the problem that 2d printers went through in the late 90s early 2000s.

When you actually GET the printer, you find out just how hard it is to make your own professional quality content. Everyone got laserprinters and DTP software all of the sudden, they all thought they could do graphic layout and design. After it almost killed the entire graphic design industry, everyone realized that it takes actual talent and training, not just software & a printer. The ma & pa small shop segment of graphic design never came back AFAIK.

I don't think 3d printers will disrupt the segment as much as 2d printers + DTP software did. Mostly because it's a lot quicker to realize you suck at designing physical objects, than it is to realize you suck at designing in 2d.

>> No.551309
File: 100 KB, 800x800, stacks_image_11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For a long time I've gone to the store with a crystal clear idea of exactly what I wanted to buy, but it turns out that's not what everyone else wanted, so it wasn't for sale.

Ebay has changed that a little bit, but now that I have my own 3D printer, I can call my own bluff any time it seems important.

Are they the future? I expect the business of toys, plastic models, model trains, RC airplanes- all that stuff is going to shift to 3D printing. Spare parts are going to be 3D printed.

But until the technology settles in and becomes plug and play, don't expect a Diamond Age anytime soon.

>> No.551367

>>551185
3d printing might be more expensive than injection moulding, but that doesn't mean it's more expensive than injection moulding plus manufacturer profit, transportation, wholesale, marketing, advertising, and retail markup.

As 3d printers get cheaper and more capable, more people will want them.

What I say is that once you can 3d print a pair of decent sneakers, 3d printers will be everywhere.

>> No.551369

>you wouldn't download a car

oh just wait, I will

>> No.551371

3D Printing is a lot like the microwave. When it first came out, everyone thought it would replace an entire kitchen.

The reality is that 3d printing has its niche, as does conventional manufacturing.

The biggest fallacy of 3d printing is the assumption that other manufacturing technologies will remain stagnant. Every other technology becomes faster, cheaper, more accurate, and easier to use over time, not just 3d printers. You don't hear about the advances in the news, but we are still making great leaps in injection molding machining, and automation.

I personally think that robots will be the true gamechanger. One day we will have a fully autonomous postal service and every factory in the world will be less than a day away.

>> No.551383

>>551371
When people say "3d printing", they generally don't mean just one technology. It's not just the glue gun with stepper motors. It doesn't necessarily even mean only additive manufacturing.

The point of it is that each piece is custom built to be exactly what you want, takes little to no labor to produce, and nobody is playing any games to make you pay more than the minimum needed.

Sooner or later, that's going to replace factories, and end all of the misprediction of demand and commercial tactics and middlemen. It's just a matter of time.

>> No.551426

The biggest hurdle for 3D printing I can think of is the building material. You go through it so fast if you actually used it for all the applications you'd want to use it for, so it'd better be cheap, non-toxic, recycleable & available nearly anywhere.

The only way it could end up being as revolutionary as people touted it to be is if a good model could be made with just dirt, sand or ash & water at a reasonable temperature.