[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 70 KB, 541x745, zombie1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
54268 No.54268 [Reply] [Original]

There has been a viral zombie outbreak. Experts have calculated how fast the outbreak is spreading. You have seven days before your city is infected. All the shops and stores are being looted and are unsafe.

You have only seven days and whatever materials you have on hand right now to prepare for the zombie siege. What do you do, /diy/?

>> No.54286

>Big supply of food
>Lots of planks to cover windows and door
>An escape tunnel
>Lots of wood for fire and heat

Need m0ar?

>> No.54289

>>54286
Basically what I would do.

>> No.54296

How long will this outbreak last?

>> No.54300

>Fill every container I own with water, including the bathtub.
>Take it a bunch to my attic.
>Take food to my attic
>Set up beds and comforts in attic
>Climb in without ladder
>Wait for the zombies to starve to death/decompose

I also live in a cul de sac, so maybe I'd be able to coordinate fortifying the whole cul de sac and have a small village.

>> No.54301

>That feel when I have my zombie apocalypse gear and plans ready, just in case

>> No.54306

>Wholesale food raid
>1000 liters (or more) of water
>Gasoline raid
>While out, put up/hand out papers with this info
>Put up 6-layered brick walls in front of doors and 1st floor windows
>Solar panels and gasoline-fueled generator for electricity
>Paint "Survivor's refuge" on the roof for the planes to see
>Chill out

>> No.54316

Fast or slow zombies?

>> No.54364

>Unhinge all interior doors (solid hardwood)
>Use doors to barricade all first floor windows
Live in an old Victorian. Huge windows.
>Have industrial grade steel shelving units still unassembled.
>Use steel cross pieces to bar second floor
So I can still keep a look out and shoot if I need.
>Nail front door shut, only use the back.
Makes sense if you could see the neighborhood layout.
>Remove chimney cover to make fireplaces functional, and fill up bath tub with water.

And that's just about all the basic prep/fortification. If there is still time, I'd do additional fortification

>Use roll of chainlink fencing to fence off the wrap around porch.
from an old dog pin.
>Use steel shelving unit uprights to make foot bridge.
>Connect porch roof to adjacent one story, flat top building (currently unoccupied).
It'd make a good place to start a garden, or just leave it empty as a helipad evac point. Already have a door to porch roof.
>burn down other derelict/abandoned houses and buildings in the neighborhood.
It's a safety issue. The more line of sight you have, the less likely you are to be surprised.

>> No.54376

>>54364
>Use steel cross pieces to bar second floor
should be
>Use steel cross pieces to bar second floor windows

>> No.54388

Find old building.

Fortify the roof part.

Gather as much supplies as I can.

Get a generator and fuel.

Get solar pannels.

Get a lot of barrels to gather rain water.

Brick off the entrance.

Piss on the zombies below, wait for them do "die" (uuh, rot off)

>> No.54393

>>54286
>An escape tunnel
you dig that in a week? or do you keep one handy at all times for just such a situation?

>> No.54402

>>54393

No, I live in an old house.
Every year I go down under the house and see if any moisture damage has emerged.

And no, the zombies can NOT find a way unless they are very clever.

>> No.54406

I pretty much curl into a ball and weep because I am absolutely fucked. I have materials to build shotgun traps, I have a few guns and some ammo...but my location is by no means a defensible location. I am separated from my neighbors by drywall and insulation. The area around me has a large population, being in the suburbs near downtown Louisville. I think the people would flip a poo and turn inward, killing themselves long before the plague gets here, and that includes me.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do but grab my B.O.B. and haul ass out of here, trying to stay ahead of the plague and avoiding other people as much as possible.

>> No.54412

>Get my dogs.
>Get on car.
>Go to farm house.

I already solar power, a water pump and 100,000 liter water tank, guns (on a relatively guns-free country) and some basic crops. I would have a week to acquire maybe some chickens, extra tools (plenty of trees around), perhaps some extra gas and whatever secondary items I come up with. Probably the one place I'd raid would be a drugstore, for painkillers, antibiotics and other medical supplies.

I have veggies, fruits and rabbits to eat all year long.

The home is in the middle of nowhere and miles from any main road.

I've been ready for years.

>> No.54421

>>54406
If you are going to take the easy way out, do us a favor, and take as many of them out as you can. An hero like a hero.

>> No.54422
File: 70 KB, 604x453, 1290958913622.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Have a fuckton of Potassium Hydroxide I use for cleaning metals as part of my business.
>At least 500L of the stuff I buy in bulk sitting in my cellar.
>Quickly fashion some sort of fine mist sprayers around my house.
>Watch as zombies disintegrate Cube Zero Style
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH4eIOvrJus&feature=related

>> No.54432

>jump in car
>drive to parents farm
>live like a king

rain water tanks
700Ha crops, 500 weat 150 barley 50 canola
about 300 head cattle
large established vege garden
500-2000L diesel
maybe 100L petrol
several rifles
large workshop
large established vege garden

and most importantly close community of smart mostly self suficient hard working people.

>> No.54463

Team up with coworkers and seize the building we work in and load with slim fast cans, beans, rice, vitamins, various supplements & ammunition.

First floor is somewhat defensible so concentrate on isolating upper floors - fairly easily done. Set up tarps & barrels for water collection and kiddy pools full of dirt on the roof for gardening.

Seal up the parking garage with cars and barrels of stabilized fuel. Shot zombies from the roof, goal of destroying 25 a day, 700 a month. Small college town will be cleared out within a year. Maybe assemble a very heavy pallet to make a zombie smashing location - lure, smoosh, winch, lure again.

In winter cold snaps, go on foraging raids, caving in zombie skulls with bats and crowbars.

>> No.54469

>>54463

Three things to add -

1.) put distance markers around the building so we can calculate the exact target ranges.
2.) scrub, clean and fill with water all trash cans
3.) this is for slow zombies, not fast strong ones

>> No.54471

>Live in a shipping container lined with half-built stomp boxes, steampunk machinery, and chainmail.
Come at me, zombies.

>> No.54473

>go to pill cabinet
>eat all pills

>Beat the game

>> No.54498

My neighbor and I have constructed a plan for any disaster really.
I have saved up about 10-15 boxes of non perishable food. My friend is a cop so he has the guns and other stuff. Not to mention a big ass truck. I'm a big camper so I have a lot of materials to live out in the woods (where we would take refuge)

Oh, and I'd raid drugs stores for a shitload of tampons/pads.

>> No.54567

>>54473
protip: if you don't destroy the brain, there is the possibility you could be zombified posthumously.

>> No.54594

>>54412
Just as a tip to anyone that, like this poster, thinks you can live off of rabbits as your main or only protein source, YOU CANNOT. Search up "rabbit starvation". If you eat only rabbit, you will starve to death because they're so lean of a meat.

>> No.54596

I cardio.
Try to get my hands on a handgun and learn2shoot.
DIY up my zombie-gear I've been planning for awhile.
(this includes basic first aid kit, small pack, thing-mount for a water-container, 3 part halberd easily carry-able, via custom arm-gloves.)
If I have time, I make sure my family and friends and I have things coordinated, and set off on my trip to Texas to secure my stronghold.
Not sure how to adjust if everyone else knows it's coming and starts riots/flippingout/looting, might have to split sooner.

>> No.54649

>>54596
Should probably try to get my hands on blimp-building materials to read on the run. I'll be hauling ass as far as my car can take me cuz crossing the Rockies in November may mean I'm zombie free but it also means shit could turn Donner, well, not till Spring when they find my body. Maps are going to be important too I guess.

>> No.54724

>>54649
spoier alert, you aren't going to be able to secure a large enough open area to build a blimp. Although, a hot air balloon with an enlarged gondola might be doable.

>> No.54926

Get in Bug out vehicle (80s model GMC 5500) pick up buddies (2 miles down the road), back home, grab Bug out bags, guns(2 AR15, Mossberg 500 12g, Rem 870 Tac 12g, 20g and .410 breakovers, 4 springfield XDs in .40, S&W .38sp, Ruger .357, M14, savage .308, 2 mosins, and at least 1000 rounds per weapon, if not more(lost count last year). Head to Bug out location, stocked with 4k gallons of water, and approx 6 months supply dry food.

Wait.

>> No.54940

>>54724
>you aren't going to be able to secure a large enough open area to build a blimp
In Texas?
I plan on securing a whole Helium plant.

>> No.54965

>In Arlington, VA(next to D.C.) fuuuuu...
>Me and bro board up first floor.
>up to second.
>shooting gallery with Mosin Nagant, .308 and Mossberg 550.
>have meebe three weeks supply food
>good news. because of proximity to D.C. army will be here
>bad news. because of proximity to D.C. army will be here

>> No.54968

>>54940
I've only done preliminary research in the subject of airships so I'm welcoming any input of course, and considering that crossing the middle of the Sierras and Southern Rockies in winter is a fucking terrible idea, this plan may need some revision.

>>54965
Ha, well, we'll see how long the army lasts.

>> No.54981

>>54594
Well, I did mention chickens.

And dogs.

Thanks for the warning, though. I didn't know that.

>> No.54997

>>54968
Thats why I called it good and bad news.

Only really solid pro is the possibility of holding out until all the drama passes and catching a then savaging weapons.

>> No.55002

>>54997
wow... take 'catching a' out...

>> No.55995

>bring friends with guns and trucks to stores nearby and shoot people in the stores to scare others off then loot everything
>drive to safe house with said friends
>life rest of life on 800x600ft plot of land with 20,000 gal of fresh water a day + cattle & crops
>use satalite dish to broadcast videos online laughing at everyone else for not having a plan

>> No.56264

Wall off the stairs to the first floor and basement windows, fill containers with water, invite in people with food, grab rope, rebar (with a knotted head) or similar, then when the zombies arrive go fishing by tossing the rebar at their heads, then reeling it back in... baseball bats could also work, I suppose.

>> No.56340

I live in university accommodation (thick fire doors, but shitty plasterboard walls). I am in a small city, (roughly 30 minutes radius from me) so it'll be a case of grab my BOB, an axe or 2 from my wall, and try to secure a small boat, sailing upriver to the Trent (Britfag), then up to the Humber, staying the fuck away from Hull hoping to walk west to the moors.

>> No.56360
File: 36 KB, 499x378, dur128614451036996181.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>55995

>"...shoot people in the stores to scare others off then loot everything."

Good I'm glad you have a plan dumbass. Lets give some probable scenarios for what happens after you kill random people in a store just to frighten others.

>Possibility One:
>You killed someone somebody loves, they have no recourse other then to get into their vehicle and run into yours.
>Depending on the vehicle it has the potential to: Tip, Destroy and or fuck your vehicle up beyond drivability.
>Depending on how many trucks you brought and how many people were in each truck you either have to leave people behind or take less supplies.

>Possibility Two:
>People hide after you start killing people, but someone knows you.
>"Hey I know that guy, it's 'Blank'."
>That person knows where you live, etc.
>You pissed people off, so after you leave, plans start going in place to get important shit that you took back.
>They come after you.
>Depending on how long after they wait, anywhere from 1-7 days could have passed, all they know is you have all the good shit.
>Depending on how prepared you are, you could either be attacked randomly at night or in daylight and either time you could have casualties or they could.

Congrats, either way you're a fucking retarded.

>> No.56366

>>56340
I'm living in Hull! Would have the same plan as you Moors wise, hardest thing would be getting supplies then getting away from Hull itself with no car.

>> No.56367
File: 160 KB, 500x333, better than a tent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I haven't gotten around to it (and probably never will…) but I'm thinking of pre-cutting
sections of 1/2"-5/8" plywood to fit the various windows in my house, labeling each
one (kitchen, etc.) and stashing them up in the garage loft.

In the event of a disaster, (zombie related or otherwise) I could quickly mount the
panels using drywall screws into the vinyl window frames and secure the most
venerable part of my house; the glass windows.

Taking this a step further, I'd like to also have pre-cut polystyrene insulation panels
that could be placed both under the plywood on the outside, and taped into the
window frames on the inside, greatly increasing the heat retention of the house.

>> No.56385

Already have food, water, guns, ammo. Just need to secure first floor windows and fill every last container with water, because you can never have too much water. Would probably move everything up stairs, but that's about all I need to do. We have a year's supply of pretty much everything.

>> No.56392

>Get a ton of food
>Go to Boy Scout cam 40 miles from my house
>Collect guns and ammo from shooting ranges
>Put food and guns into the cafeteria/mess hall
>Get wood
>board up all the windows and doors
>Chill out, while using the sinks, electricity, and left over foods and utensils.

I would probably bring a friend or two, since its pretty big.

>> No.56410

>>56264
I gotta say, this is the single most practical zombie killing method I have heard so far. I'm defiantly going to add something similar to my plan ( >>54364 ). I have 10lb iron gear that could do some wicked skull smashing. Also, now that I think about it, I'm going to move my pile of bricks and some larger rocks up to the roof as ammo.

>>56360
forgot one

>Possibility Three:
>People in the crowd have guns
>Shoot him and friends in the face
>Take their guns and trucks
>leave them laying dead in the street

>> No.56418
File: 69 KB, 231x346, rano raraku_quizzical moai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying I'm not the necromancer who raised the zombies

>> No.56428

put on mid evil suit of armor, grab my CUSTOM baseball bats, go outside, have fun.

>> No.56439

>Live on an island
>only way on island is bridge
>get jack hammer and break middle section of bridge off
>kill the people on island and feast.

>> No.56443

>>56392

>Collect guns and ammo from shooting ranges
Implying the guns at a boy scout camp aren't shitty weapons

>> No.56450

>>56428
>mid evil
>not using high evil suits of armor
You're fucked, bro.

>> No.56451

>>56392
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but at the BSA camp I went to as a kid, there were no guns or ammo stored on site. Everything went back into a locked vehicle at the end of the day, and drove off at the end of the week. You can find a shitload of spent casings that'd be useful if you have an ammo press and other supplies. Maybe a few stray arrows too, but that's about all there is munition wise.

If you are lucky enough to get there before they start their summer or winter camp outs, the mess hall will defiantly be well stocked. I will also say that the buildings at Camp Davey Crocket are built like a fortress. One foot thick walls, only a few windows.

>> No.56456

sit on my ass and blame the jewsfor everything like i aready do.

>> No.56460
File: 149 KB, 1279x963, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>hole up in grocery store basement
>hoard shittons of canned food
>barricade with shelves
>emerge a month later, a perfectly honed combat machine capable of defeating the entire zombie apocalypse with my fists

>> No.56484

>>56392
>Get wood
>I would probably bring a friend or two, since its pretty big.

faggot this is no time to fuck little boys.

>> No.56492

>go get food

Like everyone wouldn't be doing this at once, you'd have a higher chance of being killed by people mugging you for the food you managed to scrounge up.

>> No.56498

>>56460
sauce?

>> No.56501

>live in apartment
>maybe a week and a half of food
>no weapons besides a dull pocket knife
>half a tank of gas
It was nice knowing you guys.

>> No.56502

>>56498
Rogue Survivor

>> No.56503
File: 139 KB, 490x556, zombie apocalypse.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.56505

>>54596
concept art on your DIY/ zombie gear?

>> No.56517

Nuclear submarine to my Antarctican safehouse.

That's right, I'm the 1%.

>> No.56556

>diy
>zombie survival thread

I love you /diy/.

I assume some of you have read The Zombie Survival Guide? Good book

>> No.56580

>be hobbyist blacksmith
>just refilled car with gas
>just refilled propane/oxy tanks for gas forge
>have 1 ton of coal for coal forge
>just bought lots of fresh veg I can plant in the spring
>just gifted with two old files perfect for knives/swords
>have half a dozen sucker rods, 3/8" rod, etc., from oilfield boneyard for axes, spears, more swords
>have suit of armour already made 'cause I play in the SCA.
>forge is in the country away from population centers
>major creek runs nearby
>deer and elk wander through yard all the time

None of it was planned, but... enjoy the city, boys. I'll be over here forging myself some swords and axes, eating the local wildlife and getting some sword fighting practice with any poor undead bastard that wanders into the yard. :D

tl;dr: my life is totally, totally sweet.

>> No.56635

I live in a place that is like the real world version of Eureka. A zombie outbreak won't spread TO here, a zombie outbreak will start FROM here. There are worse things than zombies in the aisles of the local Walmart.
My prep consists of letting real life version Sheriff Carter fix it.