[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 549 KB, 600x1300, 1380656289590.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
533987 No.533987 [Reply] [Original]

I searched the catalog and couldn't find anything related...

I live in florida, and I am still experiencing 90+ degree weather. My central A/C unit just kicked the bucket, and I can't afford a new one right now. I was going to buy some window units, but they are "out of season" so walmart/home depot/etc don't have them for sale.

my questions are...

>how can I possibly fix my A/C unit or troubleshoot it?
>I have another unit in the garage. How could I install it?

>I currently have 3 large fans going in my house. I tried a bucket of ice, but it didn't really have an effect. What are some other ways that I can combine my fan and ice/ice water to make a radiator of some sort?

its colder outside than it is inside. I would open windows, but there are a lot of bugs/spiders/snakes/etc around AND I have pets.

>> No.533993

>>533987
>how can I possibly fix my A/C unit or troubleshoot it?

Find out what is wrong with it, fix the problem. Since you have given us no information at all as to whats wrong with it that is all the help we can give.

>I have another unit in the garage. How could I install it?

By following the installation instructions. Since you have given us no information about it at all that is all the help we can give.

>>I currently have 3 large fans going in my house.

Unless they are blowing directly on you they will not cool the anything. All fans do is move air. If all the air is hot they don't help much. Blowing air over your skin helps because you sweat and that air helps the sweat evaporate faster.

>What are some other ways that I can combine my fan and ice/ice water to make a radiator of some sort?

Someone in this thread posted an infographic about just such a topic...

>> No.534420

>>533987
GTFO, you fucking troll. Window ACs are never out of season in Florida, they are still on store shelves here in Minnesota. You say you can't open windows because of bugs? Ok, I guess window screens haven't made it to Florida yet, either.

The ice/radiator/fan thing is a hoax unless you happen to live across the street from a motel with an open ice-machine.

Fuck off and get a job until you can pay for proper AC.

>> No.534431

Just if you are considering the infographic ac, dont. It's a waste of time, can cool a clost maybe, works only slightly better than just putting the fan next to the bag of ice and turning it on, has to be refilled to frequently, makes a mess and if you are making ice in the same room (with your fridge) is going to actually result in the room getting slightly warmer.

Easiest DIY AC in my opinion is to soak a thin towel/shirt in water, freeze it then drape it over a fan.

>> No.534446
File: 274 KB, 600x1300, acNot_01a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>533987
I feel your pain. my outside condenser failed a couple years ago and it was $1400 for putting in a new one. and my house is only 1200 sq ft....

you can still order air conditioners from wal-mart on the website, and get them shipped-to-store for free so you don't get raped on the cost of shipping the thing. if you only want this as a temporary unit, I would say to get a portable one because they can blow on you better. they are $250 compared to $100 for the small window ones though.

before anyone mentions them,,,,, swamp coolers and misting coolers don't work in Florida, its too humid already.

the ONLY way cooling your home with ice might be useful is if you could get unlimited free ice that you didn't make in your own refrigerator.

the home-made air conditioners never work (pic related)