[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 434 KB, 1536x2048, JTAG_USB_highlight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
524683 No.524683 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /diy/kes,

I've posted here a few times recently about network host discovery, and rooting Android, and /diy/ has been a monumental help to me. I'm very grateful to /diy/ for this.

Now I'm coming back with a question about a hardware level "mod" or "hack" or whatever you would like to call it.

This is the Craig Netbook I've posted about before running 4.0 (It's a POS netbook, but it was $65, so whatever).

>WHY I WANT TO ROOT IT:
It's pretty awesome the way it is for network administration. It has an Ethernet port, and a physical keyboard, and supports USB stuff like HDD/SDD, mice, etc, but it's lacking ONE THING: root. It's great to be able to plug it into a switch, fire up terminal emulator or something, and config what I have to config with something that fits in my pocket. But, it has shortcomings that rooting will overcome:
*WiFi tethering: I can't tether to ad-hoc without running a root only app
*Loop Devices: This is a big one. It would allow me to install BackTrack5 for Android (not to be some l33t haxor, but so I can run nmap, wireshark, etc, for troubleshootnig)
*Google app store: Because side loading is a pain in the dick

Real quickly, let me break it down. The three USB ports are host mode only, so no ADB, etc. No option to put into USB debugging. The update-via-SD card does not work, even with the legit manufacturer firmware.

>> No.524684

BUT if I open the little access port on the back, there are some solder points that look like a way into the good juicy bits of the device.

The red box (pic related) is what I suspect is a JTAG interface. I've messed with those before modding DishNetwork receivers about nine or ten years ago, but I'd rather not mess with that, because I'm afraid of frying the board. (There's also the possibility of a JTAG-to-USB adapter, like with SheevaPlug computers, where I could use the cu utility in Linux to interface with the device.)

The white box (pic related) is what I believe is an un-soldered USB interface, possibly NOT host mode USB, like all the visible ports on the device. A very helpful Anon told me in another /diy/ thread that most times those Rock chips have a USB interface like this that the factory uses to program the machine.

I asked a buddy of mine who used to work with electronics how to test this. I hooked the black probe of my multimeter to the AC-in plug, and probed the ports, and they matched the USB mappings (something like -4.9VDC; 0.8VDC; 0.8VDC; 0.0VDC), so it seems this is the place for me to start.

I'm hoping /diy/ can offer some advice or warnings on this, and what I should do after that.

Wish me luck!

Device:
>clp281a