[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 12 KB, 300x300, 41mGAmC1jSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
52335 No.52335 [Reply] [Original]

How to make infrared goggles ?

And no im not talking about nightvision goggles that sees in infrared light, I want a detector for infrared light, like seeing if there is any high level infrared source in a dark room and so on...

Any thoughts ?

>> No.52339

Get night vision goggle and disable the IR lights on top.

>> No.52341

the camera on a phone doesn't have a infrared filter on they can detect in in a dark room it will show a light even though you cant see it.

>> No.52342

So you want heatvision goggles?

Doubt you can do it on a budget, that shit is EXPENSIVE.
Try looking up articles on how heatvision/infrared vision works, I'm sure you can figure it out.

>> No.52343

use your cellphone's camera. Seriously. Point a standard TV remote at your camera and hit a few buttons. If the LEDs flash (when viewed through the camera) you have an IR detector (Digital cameras have the ability to view the IR spectrum).

Now buy an IR emitter (either LED or incandescent) and combine the two. You now have, in essence, a generation 0 night vision setup. This is the same level of night vision used in WWII.

If you were to mount these together, holding the cameras over your eyes, you have what I call "Generation Equivalent Technology 0", or G.E.T.0. night vision.

If you do not turn on your emitter, you have the ability to spot existing IR sources (like most Gen 1 and some Gen 2 commercial night vision goggles.)

>> No.52348

>>52343
FWIW, Generation 0 is the level of night vision in the goggles shown in your post OP.

>> No.52365

The human eye can see a TINY amount of the infrared spectrum. If you buy the proper light filters you can turn them into goggles. But it won't work the way you think because it's not true infrared, just "near infrared."

>> No.52369

>>52365
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-nP2xl9Zg

>> No.52405

>>52335
A ccd cam(like a cheap ass webcam, phone cam etc) has a IR filter.
You take the IR filter out, up the brightness by a goddamn piece of code (you can code, right faggot?) and you got a ir detector.

>> No.52571

>>52369
kipkay is such a permavirgin asshat. All of his "prank" videos and "hacks" are shit a 12 year could do.

>> No.53018

>>52405
Most digital cameras do not have an IR filter installed. Filters are installed to increase color quality in the visible spectrum; it's cheaper to not install one. Try my method above and see if your device is filtered or not.

>> No.53041

If all you want is near IR, then most digital cameras will pick it up anyways (for instance, point it at a TV remote and push a button to test this), and of course ANY cheap videocamera with a nightshot mode will be pretty well-adapted to viewing dinky near-IR spectrum light.

HOWEVER, this is not even CLOSE to the same thing as far IR/thermal imaging. That often involves extremely expensive hardware with industry-manufactured semiconductors and - in the case of high-end FLIR systems or thermal space telescopes (a la James Webb) - cryogenic coolants.

So which one are you looking for?

>> No.53508

>>53041
1st one
I manage to get a cheap digi cam for 20 bucks that has IR filter whatsoever... and I see the remotes lights, what i want to do now is...

Make the image from the cam to a goggles. So I am thinking what I need like small lcd screens and a focus lense maybe dunno, thanks for the help guys

>> No.53527

When I want awesome goggles I leave the place where I work and talk to the guys at FLIR. Yeah, I can play around with military grade FLIR goggles, they let the people that work there take them home at times. Having a good job is fucking awesome.

>> No.53696

I think you are thinking of a THERMAL camera, that I can't help you with.

>> No.53706

If you want to see JUST IR, remove IR filter (if applicable) and replace it with negative camera film.