[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 77 KB, 453x340, M_NHP008_DSC06250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
51395 No.51395 [Reply] [Original]

Ok Mc/diy/vers, need a little help here.I have a couple of laptop batteries that I want to use as a power source for a ignition system being used for a fireworks show next 4th of july. Any ideas on how I would use the battery and the connection socket from the computer to do this?

pic related ( it's the type of battery I have )

>> No.51397

Shameless self bump.

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

>> No.51400

Crack the cells open, extract the batteries inside, build pack of appropriate voltage for ignition system.

>> No.51405

Is there any way to do this without pulling the batteries apart? I've seen a few homemade systems that use the full battery. I was thinking possibly something to do with the socket that the battery connects to inside the laptop.

>> No.51408

Or just use normal batteries wired to the connection...?

>> No.51410

>>51408
I was thinking about using multiple 9v batteries but still not sure on how many I would need to light the fuses.

>> No.51433

>>51410
Probably easier to do that and connect them in series. Alkaline batteries tend to sag terribly when faced with a strong load, but it should just be a matter of the appropriate number of batteries.

Without knowing anything about the type of igniters being used, I can't speculate on an appropriate voltage.

>> No.51455

>>51410
When I was younger I did some model rocketry, and I remember that a single 9v was all that was needed to ignite the motors.

Of course, this doesn't mean much, the amount of current needed depends entirely on the igniters you're using.

>> No.51541
File: 804 KB, 1600x1200, 1312566792452.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

USe the small glow plugs from RC nitro Airplanes and such.. they can be run off of a very small charge.. used them myself for the same purpose

>> No.51551

This would do the job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2fD-hYVLxE

>> No.51591

Lick the contacts.

Protip: Lion cells can put out 2C of current. So if you have a 3500mAh cell, safe disgarge rate is usually up to 7A. Safe charge rate is usually 1C.

NiCad or wet cells can put out much more current. That's why you can use a 9V to arc some sort of fire starter. If you short a normal battery it will cook itself or melt shit.

>> No.51839

use a 12v car battery attached to the wire found inside toasters. works like a charm, and is re-usable. just make the wire into a kind of tube that you then drop the fuse inside, instant ignition almost.

>> No.51999

materials:
-LED
-2x strands of insulated wire (headphone wire would be fine)

1. connect the wires to the LED.
2. take the other 2 ends of the wires and one by one, move them over the pins on the battery.

continue moving until your light lights up. congrats, you found the leads you need.

3. do whatever jerry rigging you need to do to get it to work as an ignition system for fireworks

>> No.52011

You might have to step up the voltage/current on that thing to ignite anything. Most of those are like what? 12-24 volts? If that. Flyback could be used. Personally, I'd just use a camera flash from a disposable camera but I'm lazy.

>> No.52022

>>51395

umm..

I guess I'd use several 6V lantern batteries. RayoVacs aren't really expensive, either.