[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 469 KB, 1127x1590, 1319429256279.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
51095 No.51095 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/ I am on my schools newspaper, and I decided it would be great to make a diy column, and so i did my first story on winterizing your lawn mower, an obvious given for pre-winter preparedness.

I turn it in today, and the editor in queef, and the teacher (the teacher previously thought that winterizing lawnmower was a good idea for this publishing) decided to shoot down the idea because supposedly, no one my age needs to know/ cares about how to do it.

So long story short, what is a good diy for your average (urban) teen. Ideas with or without steps would be greatly appreciated, I am drawing a blank on what to write about.

Damn I miss Tennessee, so much more... real world-ish kids there, wouldn't have even needed to make a diy column there. Pic kinda related, what you might think of when I said tennessee kids were more real world-ish.

>> No.51125

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

welcome to the new world, a generation of lazy fucks who cant do shit for themselves

>> No.51134

Make your own condoms from Taco Bell wrappers

>> No.51138
File: 61 KB, 360x202, I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>51125
>don't like this new type of world
>new world guided by media
>become media
>1st amendment: freedom of the press
>editors "no"
>cant even change the world by telling them how to change the oil on a damn lawnmower

>> No.51139

make your own girlfriend from a vacuum cleaner and a banana peel

>> No.51143

>>51138

>Welcome to the pecking order

>> No.51144

Make your own mixed-race baby from the sperm of the high school football team

>> No.51146

>>51095
anything with electronics/ internet, like how to do something cool with an ipod or what are the top 10 best free programs for computer. You could also write something about cars, like advanced snow driving tips what oversteer and understeer are and how to correct if that happens. You could do a test type article where you tried different tire pressures in the snow and how that influenced the behavior of the car in certain situations.

>> No.51147

>>51134
help! its dark in here, and i can hear laughing/will you marry me condoms. doesnt sound bad. damn local taco bell shut down due to health concerns. (to my knowledge thats what it was)

>>51139
Who still has a vacuum in this new and fancy world of vacuuming robots?

>> No.51149

>>51146
or how to x-ray pictures of hot teachers using photoshop/gimp

>> No.51156

>>51146
first part is already kinda covered by someone else, second part actually isn't a terrible idea, thanks.

>> No.51157

fuck you op
i can hire a mexican to do that shit

>> No.51161

>>51146
This

Maybe along the lines of how to do simple maintenance on your computer?

>> No.51165

>>51161
i figured something to go along with the season changing over, but it is a fall back.

>> No.51172

>>51144
mexican? nice dubs of dubs

>> No.51181

Fuck the newspaper, write what you wanted, publish fanzine.
Also, when faggot told you "no", should have asked "then what the fuck do you want?"
If he knows what kids won't like, he must know what they will like, right?

>> No.51183

>>51181
their answer was, you come up with a few ideas, email me them, and ill choose which one ill let you write.

>> No.51288

bump. Tomorrow is publications, any other ideas, I dont want to use my fallback idea.

>> No.52684

>>51095
your hommade still is a terrible plan:

1. stills are illegal... thus moonshine (this is because ethanol is taxed)
2. look at the fucking seal... fucking get some like heat resistant caulk or SOMETHING.
3. enclosed system+boiling water+steam=bomb
(moonshiners are well known to have missing eyes and arms from still explosions)

>> No.52690

So, cold region? Not sure what do about that.
I'd tell you teens love a good disposable-camera taser tutorial but I doubt your editor would approve.
Actually, most the cool shit is probably off-limits.
Show them how to hook LEDs up to everything I guess.
Bitches love LEDs.
Boring hat?
Add LEDs.
Boring belt?
Add LEDs.
Boring shoes?
Add LEDs.
Boring life?
DIY suicide.
With LEDs.

>> No.52691

How about some upcycling-style crafting? Like, how to turn an old ____ into a ____.

>> No.52696

>>52684
Stills are legal with the proper permit and inspection from the BATFE.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2397

However, consuming the alcohol, as well as not denaturing it, are illegal.

>> No.52701

>>52684
Thanks for your bump. I havnt even looked at the details of it, though I assume that it will work for small batches.

Regardless there is no plan, I just had no better picture, so I figured I would say something about myself and assumed what people might think of me.

Again thanks for the bump, and lucky for me I was wrong, publications is next friday. My stress is gone, and life is easy, thanks be to you, kind sirs, for your help.

>> No.52711

>>52690
Yeah, just about everything that is cool is off limits. EXCEPT FOR LEDS! I just might post my article once I write that, sounds fun.

>> No.52718

The average teen doesn't diy. The average teen needs to know/ cares about how to do NOTHING. That's kind of the definition of the average teen.

>> No.52724

>>52718
You must have missed
>>51138

>> No.52728

Making their own sled? Is that a cool thing to do for teens where you live?
Maybe tips for shoplifting at H&M? DIY makeup? How to stick it to the man? How to make your parents understand? How to be cool? How to ask your parents for more allowance? How to dye (or should I say diy[e]) your hair?
Or how about a howto stop to be such a whiny faggot and becoming a mature, even-tempered enlightened and emancipated individual.

Alright, that's all the teenager jokes I can think of.

>> No.52731

>>52728
Oh and just to clarify I was being serious about the sled thing, actually.

>> No.52740

>>52728
Beleive it or not we have published a few articles similar to some of those.

But alas I reside in a town of privaliged white kids, and poor mexicans, so they got their professional hand crafted sleds, make-up from companys that I cant even figure out the language of origin, they are all liberal hippies that love the man, or already know how to shoplift, so almost all of what you said is mainly irrelivant.

I hope to god that eventually my generation grows a pair and shuts the fuck up.

>> No.52753

>>52740
>I reside in a town of privaliged white kids, and poor mexicans
See, while your teacher's point seems moot (because >>52718; it applies to everything, not just mowing lawns), the lawnmowing thing is something nobody needs to know, because you live in a tow of privileged white families. And they don't change their oil themselves. In fact their whole society and economy is built upon and dependent on NOT doing things yourself.

He still has a point.
You want to change that, so doing something that teens would maybe actually want to do themselves might be a better start than changing the oil of the very gears they try to escape, if you excuse me speaking figuratively.
You show them how to work for their parents. I don't actually have a better suggestion, but you should think about what teenagers want to do, where they feel a dependency on something/someone else and where doing something themselves would (at least seemingly) free them from that dependency, helping them growing up (I.E. becoming independent).

So maybe something that their parents usually do? Or teachers? I dunno man.

>> No.52764

>>52753
not an awful idea, but hell if I know what the average parent does.

I think i may scrap the idea after leds, and generic computer care. Might do the understeer/oversteer idea and winter car stuff. not a bad idea from that guy.

>> No.52781

>editor in queef
I sniggered.

>> No.52822

rip off some instructable from the internet.

Na no really, fist of all you need to write about something idiot-proof, if you teach them how to clean a computer and they mess up with their $2000 mom is going to be angy at the school for teaching something like that. (one of the reasons your country sucks)

Computers, cellphones, tablets, are popular and teenagers love that shit. So maybe you should do something like, Make a dock for your ipod, a case for the tablet, something more crafty but not too girly.

>> No.52829

>>52822
$2000 macbook their mom*

>> No.52851

>>52822
Best typo ive seen all day, and ive been up for 3 of them.

Perhaps it isnt the best idea when you think about it like that. I despise apple, so maybe I should do it.

"apple brand products have a problem with magnetic metal coming off of the hard drive, so in order to take it off, get a high powered magnet (dont worry apple brand makes their hard drives magnet proof,) and run it over the hard drive and all around the inside of the case to make sure you get all of the magnetic dust, that can damage your computer"