[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 45 KB, 619x413, NM_21DartRowlett.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
509008 No.509008 [Reply] [Original]

Quick question, /diy/

What kind of wood stain would be best for staining a wooden dock? Part of the requirement of the project is that the type of stain not be harmful to the fish that live in the lake. I know one of my coordinators, who works with Valspar, mentioned a type that would do the trick, but I've since forgotten the name and none of my Google searches (staining a dock, wood stain not harmful to fish, eco friendly wood stain, wood stain near water) have turned up anything useful.

It is imperative that I get this information.

>> No.509024

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough. You see, I'm part of a clandestine organization known only as The Guerrilla Wood Stainers. As a way of giving back, we go around the community, finding wood that needs to be stained, and staining it in the dead of night. In the past, I've been tasked with staining benches and outdoor decks, this marks the first time I'll have to stain a dock, so I'm naturally a little uneasy. I was hoping the fine people of /diy/ could help alleviate my anxieties.

>> No.509031

>>509008
A standard oil stain.

>not be harmful to the fish

There is none.

>> No.509084

>>509008

Shellac can be non-toxic but is not nearly as durable as other coatings.

>> No.509635

a water based exterior deck stain. Sherwin Williams is having a sale this weekend. it will be the best fishie wise.

>> No.509640

Defy has a couple of product especially formulated for this. Then have a cleaner and a stain/sealer designed to be safe for the aquatic life you may be dripping it into.