[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 51 KB, 504x644, Why-Cats-Paint-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
507020 No.507020 [Reply] [Original]

i have a desk that has a laminate oak colored top that i want to turn black to match the sides. i tried painting it black with some shitty acrylic paint and it is already chipping away. probably just going to strip it back off and start over so I'm wondering: what's the best primer to use for laminate? should I just use black latex paint? what should I seal it with?

>> No.507037

>>507020
You are painting over a laminate surface? Proper surface preperation is needed. Sandpaper the hell out of it with 220 grit sandpaper. Clean it well and use rubbing alcohol to whip it down with. Once dry, use an indoor spray primer that costs around $5 a can. Those are usually rather good. Match the primer to the paint you'll be using of course. If you want to seal everything over after that you can use ultra clear epoxy resin for use with table tops. Though it will be very expensive ( http://www.bestbartopepoxy.com/tutorial-videos/ ) Otherwise, just use whatever cheap indoor clear polyurethane you can find and do the same thing as in that video.

>> No.507067

Sand it, clean it and apply a coat of Zinsser BIN primer. This is a shellac primer. It sticks to almost anything. Topcoat with just about anything you want. Acrylic is okay but it just doesn't wear that great on a surface that is actually getting a lot of use. Some Rustoleum oil based enamel will wear better and cure faster as well. Latex dries fast but cures slow.