[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 1.38 MB, 896x1280, 1371137256775.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
503970 No.503970 [Reply] [Original]

i want to build multiple shelfs in my closet, any help ideas on how to start?

>> No.503979
File: 354 KB, 800x800, shelfing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gonna have to be more specific on what you're looking for, maybe even a picture or 2. I've done tons of walk in closet custom shelving but that's with a basic idea of what the designer is looking for: Shoe racks, high suit rod and low slack rod, cubby storage and shelfs, etc etc...

>> No.503981

Google "Installing shelves in closet" :/

>> No.503987

something like this.

>> No.503988
File: 255 KB, 600x800, shelfs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>503979

>> No.504004

>>503988
Ok, bout to jump in bed so I'll do a quick run through and check in tomorrow morning:
Standard shelf depth was 1x12 so 11 1/2". 1x12 select pine is pricey, pine shelf board is a little cheaper but has knots, chips, and cracks. So I suggest you use a nicer plywood like sanded ply. You'll get 4 8ft strips of 11 1/2 out of one sheet and just eyeing that setup up looks like 5-6 are needed. You can always adjust to use only one sheet though.
This setup has adjustable shelving. You can accomplish that with either pegs like the pic or using metal standards that can be either face mounted or routed out and inset.
Level and mark a line 3/4" below where you want the top shelf. Rip some 1x4 material in half to use as bracket material, putting the first one on that mark and securing at the studs. Next build the shelving unit on the side there, basically a bookshelf. Make the lowest shelf and the middle one fixed, attaching the 1x2 underneath both of them and notch out the top back corners to allow it to flush against the wall under the top shelf.
Place a 10" piece of bracket on the far right of the top shelf to support the end and mount the shelfing unit flush with the top bracket, securing it with the brackets under the shelves. Cut and install your top shelf, securing it across the back and to the shef unit and the corner support. Cut your center rod support to length and rip it down to 10 3/4", cutting a 1x2 to 1 1/2 less of the support length and screwing it to the back of the support and leaving the gap at the top to accomidate the top shelf bracket. You want that support on a stud so find one and fasten the support, angling screws to it through the 1x2 on tthe back of the support.
Run 1x2 on either side of that around 3 inches from the bottom, then cut 2 shelfs to fit and secure across the back and to the shelf unit and support and another corner bracket. Measure out for your wood rod supports and mount that. Caulk exposed edges and paint.
Night!

>> No.504005

>>504004
thanks man goodnight