[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 35 KB, 400x300, whatamievendoing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
492486 No.492486 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /diy/

So for months I have been wanting to upgrade my computer for the first time by myself for quite some time now. My biggest issue is that I've never done something like this before, so I don't really know where to start. I have watched a few videos on YouTube to try and familiarize myself with the inside of my computer.

Besides not really knowing what would be the best to buy, I'm afraid that it's going to turn into a domino effect. Like, "Oh you wanna get a new graphics card? Nope you need a better power source. Oh you need a new power source? You need a better motherboard for that, etc."

So, I was hoping that if I threw up some of my computer specs, some kind scholar could point me in the right direction of either learning more about doing this, or suggesting products to buy. The whole point of me wanting to do this is to learn how to do it, and to generally improve the quality of my PC. I'm a gamer that's trying to learn.

PC Specs:

HP P7-1254
Processor: AMD A8-3870 Quad Core with Radeon HD Graphics (3.00 GHz)
AMD Radeon HD 6550D
64-bit OS
8GB RAM
1TB Hard drive

please help

>> No.492494

>>492486
you don't need a new motherboard to support a new psu
you may need one to support a new gpu, and that will involve a new processor
but the fact that you're starting with a prebuilt means that you're already a lost cause

>> No.492496

>>492494

Pretty much had no choice but to start off with a prebuilt. Most of day is spent on a computer, whether it be work, or gaming. It have to quarrels to building a computer from the ground up- however again, I do not no where to start.

>> No.492497

>>492496

*I'd have no quarrels to building a computer from the ground up.

>> No.492500

>>492497
>*I'd have no quarrels to building a computer from the ground up.
It takes 2 hours.
The hardest part is installing software to be quite honest.

>> No.492502

>>492486
Your motherboard has a socket that only accepts certain types of CPU (processor). RAM (memory) will be DDR3 and always compatible (just limited to the max. supported speed of your MB). Your GPU will be compatible as long as you have a PCIe (x16) slot, which any modern MB has. PSU is basically always compatible (just differing connections) and so is your harddrive trough SATA (again limited to what vesrion SATA you have). It's not hard to replace stuff, and there's tons of guides online. Basically, do more research.

Then onto the actual upgrading; it depends what you're hoping to achieve. Want to run new games on high resolutions? Get a new GPU. Want an overall faster PC for everyday applications? Get a new CPU or better yet an SSD (to put your OS on).

Your CPU is kinda low-midrange, the built in GPU is okay for simple tasks but inadequate for any real gaming.

SO kinda depends what kind of money you wanna spend on it.
In any case, if you don't post your current specs (what motherboard?) and requirements we won't be able to help any further than that.

>> No.492506

What are your goals, OP? What do you want to improve?

>> No.492513

>>492506
>>492502

Thanks for your responses. I work from my computer, and again- it's where I spend most of my time. When I am not working, I am gaming. Overall I am trying to improve the quality of my gaming experience. I can run almost any game it seems, however I have to have the settings on medium or low to keep a steady frame rate.

So, I guess that's the biggest thing I want to do. I want to be able to play on higher qualities/get better frame rates.

I did a search on my motherboard. From the information I gathered, its a AAHD2-HY. This is the info I found on it (because I have barely a clue of what any of this means.)

Manufacturer: Pegatron
Form factor: uATX: 24.38 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.38 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: AMD Hudson-D2 FCH
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 100 MHz UMI (Unified Media Interface)
Processor socket: FM1
Expansion Slots:
PCI-Express Generation 2 speed

1 PCI Express x16
3 PCI Express x1
1 PCI Express Mini Card x1

>> No.492515
File: 126 KB, 400x389, Motherboard..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>492513

Forgot picture

>> No.492518

>>492486
Hi op
I work with computers every day and have put together allot of gaming systems for my friends.
I have read all the posts and looked up how your cpu and gpu performs.

In my opinion a gpu upgrade would get you what you want and the cpu would still be able to keep up for most games.

Something in the lines of Nvidia 660ti would fit nicely and is not that expensive.

as some of the guys above said a ssd would do wonders for your pc, especialiý load times in games would improve allot, if you move the games you play to the ssd.

The next time you feel it gets slow in games however i would probobly go for a new system.

Have a great day op, feel free to ask me anything :)

>> No.492519

>>492513
Okay. For gaming, the GPU is most important. CPU/RAM also play a role but most modern processors will do fine.

It looks like you have a "fat" prebuilt that takes standard size PCI cards. This is good since you don't have to scrounge for half-height cards.

You have a "Llano" platform CPU that has an integrated GPU. If you install a discrete, PCIe GPU, the integrated GPU will be bypassed. So your main question is, what GPU to buy that will get you to the performance level you want. The secondary question is whether the power supply has enough capacity to support your selected GPU.

To start off, I would suggest reading some reviews to get an idea of the relative performance between Llano, AMD 7800/7900 series, and Nvidia 660/670.

>> No.492525

>>492518
>660ti
>not god-tier 760
die in a fire

>>492513
shit-tier board, start from scratch.

There weren't tons of gains on the latest intel CPUs, get an i5 2500k, i5 3750k, or whatever the newest gen was. There's not a ton of difference.

Get an ASRock Extreme4 LGA 1155 mobo.

Get an Nvidia GTX760.

Get a mid tower or full tower case.

Get an Antec 600W 80+ Bronze (or better) PSU.

Get 8GB DDR3 RAM.

Assemble.

>> No.492526

>>492525
You're forgetting

>install Gentoo

>> No.492528

>>492526
:3

>> No.492529

>>492525
Oh, almost forgot. Get a Cooler aster Hyper 212+ for cooling. Intel's stock heatsink is shit.

>> No.492530

>>492525
DO it right faggot

Asus saberthooth
patriot ram
intel extreme
Samsung Pro ssd
1600 watt powersurply!
quad Titans!

>> No.492535

>>492530
You forgot - 32gb RAM.

>> No.492538

>>492535
implicit, also watercooling!

>> No.492550

>>492486
/g/ knows alot about this, but you have to know how to ask them the right way.

Step one is to go and say you want to buy a new prebuilt computer, but you're not sure if it's good enough for gaming.

Step two is to wait for a couple people to tell you it'd be better/cheaper to build it yourself.

Step 3 is to tell them you want to do this, but have no idea what you're doing.

>> No.492551

>>492550
>Step 3 is to tell them you want to do this, but have no idea what you're doing.

>go and say you want to buy a new prebuilt computer, but you're not sure if it's good enough for gaming.

For some reason, I feel like if I were to do that, I would immediately loose all respect and credibility.

Either way, I have learned a good deal from this thread today, which I am thankful for. I know more than I did yesterday. However, there is still much more that I am unfamiliar with.

>> No.492559

>>492530
Since when is asus sabertooth doing it right? it's poop in a nice wrapping

>> No.492604

>>492551
Don't use a trip and they wont ever know it's you again.

And trust me it, it works. I was gonna buy a prebuilt HP and went to ask them to compare two models. Everybody bombards the thread telling me to build my own. I then told them I have no knowledge of building a PC and they hooked me up with good tips.

Of course your results may differ, but it worked once and might work again since /g/ is somewhat predictable.

Of course you could just go and ask for help, but you might be more likely to be made fun of. I think they liked helping me because I listened to them when they told me I was wrong.

>> No.492648

>>492559
Exactly - as is everything else on that list.

Oh, and OP, if you go to /g/, you'll pretty much get this: >>492525

>> No.493892

>>492500
>It takes 2 hours

Nigga wat

>>492519
>For gaming, the GPU is most important

It's not as simple. The more powerful your GPU is, the more CPU you'll need. Also, very dependant on the resolution he wants to game at (she/he doesn't mention what kind of monitor s|he has).
OP: It's like expensive LEGO. Do you know which way is up on a Phillips screwdriver? Are you man enough to flip the voltage switch on a PSU? Do you enjoy cold sweat trickling down your back?

Srsly it's easy. First of all, set up a budget and get an idea of what you want as a bare minimum. Beware of /g/ as well, there be trolls.