[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 760 KB, 1024x768, Penguins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
490794 No.490794 [Reply] [Original]

Pic unrelated.

Question, I'm buying a car with manual windows and door locks. I want to upgrade it to power windows and door locks.

Would it be easier to learn to install the power with after-market kits or could I troll junkyards for the same doors and switch them out and just paint everything?

>> No.490836

The best way is to find a kit from a same but broken care but with options you need. You don't need all the dor, you can pull out only the mechanism

>> No.490858

It depends, pull the door panels and make sure the wiring is in place to accept power windows and locks. Also, the door panels themselves will most likely be different (no crank handle to pass through pw panel). If wiring is not place you will have to install it yourself.

>> No.491129

>>490794
>Question, I'm buying a car with manual windows and door locks. I want to upgrade it to power windows and door locks.
the problem with doing this is that the cars that had manual windows had nowhere to put the window switches.... so if you wanted it to look nice with a minimum of work, then you still had to go find the door interiors from the same model car that had power windows, so you would get the window switch panels.

if you are total-customizing it, then you could make your own switch mounts of course.

>> No.491208

>>490794
>troll junkyards for the same doors and switch them out and just paint everything?
Do NOT do this, you will regret it, making doors fit perfectly is a pain in the ass. Just be happy with your car as-is, fewer things to break down later.