[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 68 KB, 347x700, 1373085880605.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
489146 No.489146 [Reply] [Original]

Home brewing info thread? Also how well does pic related work?

>> No.489147
File: 77 KB, 850x768, STOP POSTING THAT IMAGE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>489146
Enjoy your vinegar water.

>> No.489149

>>489147
And suggestions then?

>> No.489157

>>489146
>http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Mead-Honey-Wine/?ALLSTEPS
This.

>> No.489167

>>489157
Thanks. Did you try it before? How good is it?

>> No.489169

>>489147
because no one prior to 1850 made alcoholic drinks
its not vinegar, it isn't a troll, it'll just taste like shit, but it'll still get you drunk

>> No.489172

>>489167
Pretty good. I scaled everything down for a one gallon batch. First time went really well. The stuff was strong enough to a guy on his ass (figuratively). The second didn't go so well: I didn't get the air-lock on good enough and I ended up with vinegar water.

That air tight seal is vital.

>> No.489173

>>489172
I want to try to do the cheaper cider one because I dont have any brewing equipment

>> No.489177

>>489173
I have a gallon glass jug and rigged together an airlock. This is /diy/ after all.

>> No.489182

>>489177
Would a gallon plastic jug do the job?

>> No.489188

>>489169
Making alcohol is a controlled process. If you are making a lambic you do it in a controlled way. the OP's image is not a controlled method. It is open to airborne microbes that can infect the brew at any point, including after the brew has completed fermentation. For instance the step that reads, "wait 2 months", is horrible advice without an airlock. The yeast will have completed its fermentation and gone dormant within the first week or two. This leaves the brew completely open to infection from anything that gets in. Something always gets in because the air is constantly being exchanged due to thermal changes in the environment.

The brew is at its strongest when it first activates and has a good head of foam. The brew is at its weakest when the yeast has gone dormant. This is why raking is usually the step at which point most infections occur.

However, without a proper airlock while sitting around for 2 months, the brew is more than likely going to get infected with 1 or more microbes. Wild yeasts and bacteria can do many things. They can make it taste better if you are really lucky, only make it a bit nasty, render it into vinegar, or render it into vinegar then render that vinegar into bitter water.

All you need is a pin-pricked balloon and some sanitation of the containers to prevent this sort of thing.

That image in the OP is a troll image.

>> No.489191

>>489182
That better be high quality plastic.

>> No.489192

>>489182
Yes, but keep in mind that the plastic will leach plasticizers into your brew the entire time. The lower the pH and the higher the temperature will make it leach even more.

For very long term use, oxygen can find its way through the plastic walls and into the brew. This is just fine for brews you are not going to age for years because a little extra oxygen in young brews helps them age faster in the short term. In the long term this can ruin a brew.

So, if you are able to find a source for glass, get it.

>> No.489195

>>489188
I do have an airlock. Could I use it?

>> No.489196

>>489195
Of course!!!

I normally use bleach to sanitize everything then use boiled and cooled water to rinse everything off. All water I use in my brews I also boil first then let it cool before using it. When I don't take proper sanitizing steps I really never know how things will turn out.

>> No.489197

There should be a fucking sticky about DIY booze. I always struggle to reply because people never really ask the right questions. I'd just say that making alcohol requires making a liquid which yeast can grow in. Because of this, other shit can grow in it. Because of that, you want to have as sanitary conditions as possible to prevent other shit getting into it at any point and you want to create conditions which favour the yeast because yeast, as a living creature is capable of looking after itself to an extent.

So understanding yeast is pretty much the entire process and recipe. Everything relates back to yeast in my mind, the food you provide it with, the temperature of fermentation, the characteristics of what alcohols, esters and byproducts the yeast produce depending on handling, the ability of it to flocculate, the vigour of it. All of it is yeast.

>> No.489198

>>489196
>>489192
>>489188
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think ill play it safe and invest in some proper equipment and make some mead. I don't want to poison myself because i'm a cheap bastard.

>> No.489200
File: 401 KB, 1214x2400, Hobo Wine - Grape-Cranberry 00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>489197
This is as good as it will get I'm afraid:

>Tepache Brewing Archive 001 (parts 1-4)
http://www.mediafire.com/?tf788321xd0opbu
http://www.mediafire.com/?ryjm5rxm802cmyo
http://www.mediafire.com/?jk609c1260n9irv
http://www.mediafire.com/?kk7tsp499ft4w3u

Some folder-filenames are really long so unzip it in a very small-named folder otherwise you'll get an error while unzipping it.

>> No.489306

I made honey mead for pretty cheap and it was easy as fuck. Only took about 2 months and it tastes pretty damn good.

Look up Agent Orange Mead

>> No.489409

>>489306
>Look up Agent Orange Mead

Isn't that Ancient Orange Mead? lol

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

I did that one a few years ago when it was on another website. I followed it to the letter and it turned out AWESOME. I think I might have one bottle left somewhere.

>> No.489539

easiest way i've found, also hella cheap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB_c-MzGhI4

>> No.489689

>>489539
Buy a balloon, prick about 8 times in one area near the top of the balloon. Stretch it over the mouth of the bottle. That will be your air lock. It'll puff up a little bit and start outgassing. After it has fallen over you'll know the fermentation process is complete.

This is the very least you should do. One reason is that simply leaving the cap loose can invite gnat/vinegar flies to lay eggs on the cap. The larva can sometimes get into the brew, depending on how the cap is adjusted. Aside from that, you don't know if the brew is done or not right away. Any time the temperature changes air will exit and enter the container, bringing in with it wild microbes.

The balloon will allow you to instantly see if the brew is done or not and also prevent the "breathing" of air in and out due to temperature fluctuations after the brew has finished.

>> No.490060

>>489188
For thousands of years people successfully made beer, cider and mead with no concept of microorganisms and food hygiene.

There are still countless commercial breweries that use open fermenters.

A reasonably thick paper napkin or cling wrap should be enough of a filter to keep out insects, dust and the vast majority of microorganisms.

The stuff in the air is rarely a threat otherwise breweries would look like cleanrooms.

Instead focus your attention on ensuring your fermenter and tools are kept totally clean from all solid debris and liquid stains that large numbers of contaminates can hide in and even escape sanitation.

OP pic would likely work as long as the bottles are brand new and clean. I'd be more concerned about using the bread yeast. 1 month would be more then enough time to ferment especially when you're not using glass bottles.

Keeping in theme with the OP pic you could make a ghetto no-rinse sanitizer with 30ml white vinegar to 19L water, mix THEN add 30ml bleach. Or just buy some Idophor or Starsan like a normal person.

>> No.490077

>>490060
>For thousands of years people successfully made beer, cider and mead with no concept of microorganisms and food hygiene.

And for thousands of years people have been royally fucking it up.

>vast majority of microorganisms.

But, not all.

>The stuff in the air is rarely a threat otherwise breweries would look like cleanrooms.

They often use anti-microbial chemicals, sanitized and/or sterilized equipment to prevent infections.

>I'd be more concerned about using the bread yeast.
>1 month would be more then enough time to ferment

Your ignorance is showing pretty hard.

>> No.490091

>>490060
In fact, beer originally was a thing in Europe because it was safer to drink than the water (being alcoholic in nature).

>> No.490093

>>490091
That's not what we are discussing, but neat knowledge nonetheless.

>> No.490131

>>490091
I thought it was because the water was boiled (thus killing any harmful microorganisms) before the ingredients were added and allowed to ferment.

>> No.490151

>>490077
Face it, the science of modern homebrewing has pushed away a lot of the old dogma and old wives tales that numerous people such as yourself still blindly cling to.

Go to any homebrewing forum and you'll find people happily fermenting and lagering in buckets with cling wrap. It works fine. The odds of infection from some random floating particle making it through the wrap and CO2 layer is astronomically tiny.

Last batch of cider I made finished in 15 days. Might be a bit longer at that SG but given that the recipe calls for using plastic coke bottles and apparently not bottle carbonating means bottlebombs aren't a concern. Coke has almost twice the carbonation level as beer/cider.

I doubt you'll be able to make a great tasting (drinkable sure) brew with some random bread yeast designed solely to produce CO2 rapidly at high temperature instead of some yeast variety carefully developed to produce an appropriate taste.

Best to get dedicated cider yeast or a neutral wine or ale yeast unless you're full ghetto.

>> No.490285

>>490151
>Face it, the science of modern homebrewing has pushed away a lot of the old dogma and old wives tales that numerous people such as yourself still blindly cling to.

Jesus, listen to yourself. Modern brewing is nothing like what is being displayed in >>489146 that is just half-assed hokey resulting shit swill. Just adding 2 steps to that turns the possibility of a completely ruined batch of ingredients into a nice brew.

It is really that simple.

>> No.490427
File: 466 KB, 1200x1600, airlock_s-type.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>489689
for the love of god don't use balloons. Airlocks cost a fucking dollar.

>> No.490441
File: 114 KB, 667x800, lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>490427
Balloons are fine if you don't have access to proper airlocks. There's also never a risk of suck back either. However, blowoff tubes are where its at.

>> No.490442
File: 169 KB, 1167x528, what am i reading.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>490427
>go to DIY board
>tell people to buy stuff

>> No.490444
File: 85 KB, 800x600, Full Production - 05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>490442
>>490441
Blow off tubes are /diy/.

>> No.490447

>>489149
>>489146
This works, let the wine stand for 1 month and use a balloon and poke a hole in it instead of the cloth, i made it before when i was like 15 or so, got it up to 12%. You'll get pretty drunk.

>> No.490449

>>489167
Oh yea, the "hard cider" tastes like shit.

>> No.490450

>>490447
>This works

30% of the time...

At least use a "hobo wine" recipe instead and not that POS troll newfag image.

>> No.490722

The biggest problem with the infographic is it doesn't mention aging. It'l taste like acetone for the first 6 months and then mellow out.

>> No.490727

>>490722
IF it actually survives the 2 months without fermenting and being open to air the entire time.

>> No.491559

>>490442
sorry. i forgot that balloons grow on trees.

>> No.491563
File: 66 KB, 480x640, 0707131646.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I read that a good way to tell when its time to rack is when there is at least a minute between... bubbling? gas explosion? whatever you call it. Is this good advice? pic related, it's muh cider.

>> No.491564

>>491563
derp. i meant gas expulsion.

>> No.491572

>>491563
>Is this good advice?

Yes.

>>491559
Latex balloons do. Latex is pretty easy to make if you have morning glories growing too.

>> No.491591
File: 20 KB, 395x266, 1294958606470.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>491563
Someone I know cut off the end off a whoopee cushion and put it on the end of their blowoff. So from time to time it would fart, and we'd know it's finished once it stops happening as often

>> No.491601

>>491591
that's.. that's brilliant

>> No.491612

>>491563
I tend to let the mead ferment until all activity has ended, usually comes with a good amount of clarity in the liquid.

>> No.491670
File: 1.37 MB, 2448x3264, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here is 5 gallons of Welch's finest and 1 gallon of dandelion wine.

I didnt sterilize either. Just hot water from the tap and soap. Doing just fine, although I do make a starter on a stir plate.

>> No.491674

my mead has been going for 6 months. i want to drink it now, but then i wonder how it'll go if i leave it as long as possible. i am undecided...

>> No.491704

>>489147
look up "Lambic". It is made with wild yeast and bacteria, no over sterilization, and no airlock.

more specifically about your picture:
Sterilization is relatively important, but if you add some lemon juice and swish it around it will get rid of a lot and if it is not "dirty" a lot of times it is ok.
Bacterias that make vinegar need water to survive, so if it is dry there is not much too worry. Yeast is also a very though sucker and if you use a sturdy variety it will outperform most bacterias.

The napkins are supposed to act as an air lock. They let air out but keep dirt out. as long as they do not get wet (which admiringly they will) they work just like a gas mask filter.
that being said, don't use paper, stats just stupid.

Raking??? Aging??? we are making diy apple cider, not a bloody fancy brandy. raking is unimportant if you choose the right yeast, and if you rake too much you can ruin it. Aging will happen on its own. I doubt you will drink 5 gallons on the first day. to longer it is stored the better it tastes, but it is an adequate brew right out of the carboy.

I would get more annoyed at using "Baking Yeast".... guess what that yeast strain was specifically developed? here is a clue, it starts with B- and ends with -aking.

Seriously, a pack of brewers yeast dirt cheap and if you don't have home-brew store nearby just order it online, it will come in 2 days in a simple letter.

>> No.491719

>>491704
>all this ignorance

I don't even know where to begin. You should really stop embarrassing yourself. My empathy can't take any more. There's always some newfag brewer trying this shit up homebrewing threads with troll level bullshit.

>> No.491732

>>491704
OP pic isn't a lambic. Lambics are still specially controlled.

Sterilization is not very important at all. Sanitizing is important and there's a laundry list of ways you can do it.

>Bacterias that make vinegar need water to survive, so if it is dry there is not much too worry. Yeast is also a very though sucker and if you use a sturdy variety it will outperform most bacterias.

Bacterial encystment allows bacteria to survive nearly any environment until it reaches a more favorable environment. There are also forms of yeast that eat ethanol when sugar levels are low, but that is usually not a problem.

>The napkins are supposed to act as an air lock. They let air out but keep dirt out. as long as they do not get wet (which admiringly they will) they work just like a gas mask filter.
that being said, don't use paper, stats just stupid.

After a few days the yeast will no longer be active at levels were it can protect itself. During this time normal temperature fluctuations make outside air enter the container where it can be contaminated easily.

Napkins are not any kind of air lock. Air locks prevent air from flowing in one direction.

>raking

It's "racking". You do it to help keep the brew clear and to keep dead yeast cells from tainting the brew.

>aging

white wines: 1+ year
red wines: 2+ years
dark berry wines: 5+ years
black elderberry wines: 20+ years

Hard apple cider is a white wine.

>Baking Yeast

Fleischmann's yeast is the same as Lalvin's EC-1118 and can be used as a substitute. You only need to account for the extra foam during the first 72 hours or less. A lot of brands can be used if you know how to use them properly. Fleischmann's yeast is a great brew saver if a brew becomes stuck.

>> No.491999
File: 42 KB, 400x2120, hydro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not sure im reading my hydrometer right. I checked my cider about a week ago and it read 1.02 with a potential alcohol level of almost 0. I checked again today after moving it to secondary and it read 1.00 with a potential alcohol level of zero. Am i brewing non alcoholic cider?

>> No.492006

>>490131
Not him, but it's both.
They actually brewed two kinds of beers, non alcoholic for the children, and alcoholic for older people.

Yes people were clever enough to realize that alcohol messes you up, but not smart enough to realize that boiling water does the same thing.

>> No.492014

>>490285
while OPs pic really is nothing but shit swill, i have to agree with the other anon.
The risk of airborne infection trough a napkin or similar is miniscule.
More so, because for a nasty brew like OPs pic, i wouldnt bother fermenting+resting for more than 2-3 weeks total.
However, a balloon or proper airlock is much more practical, since you can see when the fermentations done. Really stupid to go without one seeing how fucking cheap they are.

>> No.492015

>>491999
You will not be able to tell the content of this batch; You must first find the Original gravity; BEFORE YOU ADD YEAST.
Then you measure how much gravity it has from there on. So if you had an original gravity of about 1.1 And then it ferments down to .99 youll have ~ 18% content. You have to have original gravity in order to calculate how much should be when you are done.

>> No.492026

>>491999
From 1.02 to 1.00 it should be like 2.59%ABV already.

>>492014
>The risk of airborne infection trough a napkin or similar is miniscule.

No, 2 months with only a napkin isn't "risky", it's stupid and ignorant to do.

>> No.492113

What happens if I make it without the sugar?

>> No.492120

>>492113
god help you

>> No.492148

>>492113
Well considering sugar is the most important part. You are entirely fucked. You now have yeast water. Congratz

>> No.492153

>>489177
>>489182
function show_alert value="Show User" eval("x=10;y=20;document.write(x*y)");

>> No.492159

>>492113
You'll get a very low alcoholic beverage. The sugars in the fruit juice will be converted to alcohol, but it won't be all that much. It'd be like a beer at most and it depends on how many fruit sugars there are in the juice you use.

>>492153
lol oldfag or newfag, I can't tell anymore.

>> No.492184

>>492015
damn, i should have asked /diy/ before going with the dipship bloggers. So much conflicting info out there. Anywho, thanks anon.

I suppose I'll have to guess the alcohol content based on how drunk i get.

>> No.492188

>>492184
Well theres another way. Do you remember how much sugar you used? and all the ingredients?

>> No.492194

>>492184
It is pretty easy to calculate the alcohol content by reviewing the recipe and checking the final specific gravity. This alcohol calculator is pretty nice for that:

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16

It take a bit of getting used to though. You can input the items that contain sugar and you'll see what the alcohol potential can be. You can cross reference the initial S.G. with your current S.G. and use that calculator or this one,

http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm

to figure out how much alcohol is in the brew you've made.

>> No.492330

>>492188
1 gallon organic apple juice with a cup of white sugar and about a half cup of brown sugar.
>>492194
thanks

>> No.492331

>>492330
oh, and champagne yeast

>> No.492651

>>492330
If you have 1 S.G you should have some pretty strong alcohol 15%-18%ABV depending on a few factors like how much sugar is in the apple juice. If you used only water and sugar without apple juice, you'd have around 9%ABV.

Congrats.

>> No.492664

Is there any way to guess abv without a hydrometer? I'm making sugar wine with Flieshman's baking yeast and 3 cups of sugar. Just wanting an idea of it's potency.

>> No.492667

>>492664
Forgot to mention that's for 1 gallon.

>> No.492693

>>492664
>>492667
http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16

13.42%ABV max