[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 6 KB, 300x300, 4418763_300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
473001 No.473001 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/
Has anyone had any luck selling handmade stuff on etsy and the sort?
I'm thinking of ways to make a little extra money doing the stuff I love and selling handmade/vintage stuff on Etsy or at farmers markets sounds too good to be true

>> No.473011

I had an off the cuff etsy shop for a while where I sold random stuff I made. It wasn't exactly a great succes, but it costs next to nothing (fees lower than ebay) so you might as well try. It's just hard to get noticed because there is so much stuff out there.

>> No.473015

>>473011
would you consider what you did profitable at least? What did you sell?

>> No.473019

>>473015
Mostly jewellery and other accessories. The jewellery market is very very saturated. I sold the stuff I did to fund my hobby basically, and for that it's okay. If you're looking for steady income, you need to handle it like a business, using etsy as a platform for your store. Etsy itself will hardly get your stuff noticed.

>> No.473021

>>473019
Try Storeenvy (completely free, no listing fee) and advertise via Tumblr.

>> No.473238

It's all about how you advertise. You can't just pop some stuff into an Etsy page and wait, expecting people to stumble upon your little corner and buy your stuff. You need to be proactive, looking up forums and the like, posting things such as "Hey, I noticed you're into this, well I have a shop that sells this kind of thing, give it a look." Basically not being obnoxious, but letting people know you exist and what you have to sell. It's like any business, really.

>> No.473278

If you're thinking about starting a business, there's a book I just read that was really good called The Personal MBA. Check it out.