[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/diy/ - Do It Yourself

View post   

File: 266 KB, 402x363, harmahgerd_leernd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
468829 No.468829 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /diy/nobots.

I'm considering purchasing this home which comes with a land plot of 113,212 sq/ft, about 2.6 acres.

What are some options I have for what to do with this land, perhaps something lower maintenance that could earn some scratch?

I was thinking about a tree nursery, which I have little knowledge of except that it's less involved than farming and cultivating.

>> No.468838

Chickens. That is loads of room for a sizeable roosting area and laying pens etc.

You can let them free range and they will automatically seek refuge in the roosting/laying quarters when night fall starts to come, particularly if you supplement their diet with a bit of feed, which you give to them inside of those areas. They start to learn, food, shelter etc. is in here.

Then you set up a nice little stand out the front of your house with local fresh, free range eggs. You would be surprised the amount of money you can pull in.

I currently have around 40 chickens (and a couple roosters), everyone from my neighborhood and some from surrounding neighborhoods all buy their eggs from me now, I make around $100 a week, that's after I've bought feed and shit as well.

Once you have the chooks pumping, you use their shit as fertilizer, build yourself some raised square garden beds which are cheap as fuck to knock up. Compost the shit with, grass clippings, food scraps etc. Get yourself some nice seasonal veggies growing. Just make sure to put chicken wire/fencing around the vegetable patches so the chooks dont get in and start scratching up the soil and fucking up your plants.

Expand your little stall to include fresh organic vegetables.

Plant some fruit trees around the border of your property, something hardy, with a decent yield that are suited to your area. Now you have organic fruit and vegetables, plus eggs.

All are cheap, easily researched and attainable, will give you a return on your investment, plus subsidize your income by giving you free shit to eat!

WIN WIN WIN!

>> No.468865

Chickens won't work for me but I do thank you for the idea. This is actually much more inside the city than it looks, it's just nicely tucked away. (Plus I have a pretty large aversion to chickens heh.)

Other thoughts?

>> No.468867

>>468829
I don't know much of anything about tree farming, except that my uncle farms Christmas trees. Evidently you get a lot of tax breaks like farmers do, but without all the work. He does it as a side job though, as he also plays poker.
Or perhaps poker is his side job. Either way, I recommend looking into it

This is in Oregon, US, btw. May be different where you are.

>> No.468889

how much is the plot of land going for if you don't mind me asking?
Its always been my dream to own a bit a land build a house and do some farming and stuff
i want to haves goats chicken vegetable gardens and maybe some fruit trees.
i just don't know how i'l lever get the money for the land

>> No.468899

>>468889

It's not just the land, there is a house on the land that is in disrepair (foreclosed) and I plan to fix it up well if purchased. I don't have a cost to give you unfortunately as the bank hasn't been back in contact with me yet. I suspect about $160k for everything.

>> No.468988

bump

>> No.468992

>>468838
how do you deal with feral pests killing your chickens?

>> No.468994

>>468992
I'm not that anon, but I have a 6 feet tall welded wire fence around 3 acres of land. It covers my house, gardens, orchard, etc. I keep my chickens and ducks in that. At night they all return to the coop and are locked up tight and let out in the morning. The only thing you need to worry about are birds of prey in something like that. Raccoons leave them alone during the day and nothing can get into them at night.

Night time is the most dangerous time. Foxes, minks, coyotes, dogs, etc tend to only attack at night.

>> No.469419

skatepark

>> No.469591

>>469419

How are you gonna make money on that? 50 skater shitheels on your property is worth paying to get rid of, not a source of profit.

>> No.469607

>>469591
>not a source of profit.

next to the skatepark you setup a snack bar
and you get your teenage daughter to work there selling hotdogs, chips, and redbulls.

>> No.469611

>>468899
Hello Friend, I just recently bought a property as well. The real question is what will the governement let you do with the land.

Seriously they say no to everything, Id need to know where you are located to help with a plan, unincorporated? State? City? Details would be best.

>> No.469630

>>469607
>get your teenage daughter to work there selling hotdogs, chips, redbulls, and herself.
ftfy

>> No.469637
File: 732 KB, 900x2793, 1363660493194.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.469653

>>469611
>ftfy

It's actually in a very nice city surburb, one of those rare tucked away city areas with a country feel. I believe the land right next to it is and equestrian training ranch.

>> No.469681

>>468838
someday
>you will have a small home based business selling fresh fruit, veg and eggs (and on occasion chicken

>> No.469834

>>469653
Again, would need to know exact location, City zoning may not even allow you to do any type of agriculture cause you are in the wrong zone. Last thing you would want to do is get chickens and have to get rid of them cause you arnt zoned for that.

Other than that i guess your safest option is some sort of tree orchard, but then again what you could grow depends on location to.

>> No.469835

I hate government zoning restrictions. What's the fucking point of even owning land

>> No.469837

>>469637
Don't forget the apiary you'll need

>> No.469839

I would go for a small plantation of wood for baskets and stuff. I'm not really sure what kind of wood they use but i think its in the willow tree family. Its easy to sell, or you could actually weave some baskets yourself.. Growtime is usually 2 years if i remember correctly, then just chop them down and sell the stuff.

>> No.469851

Rent your land out to a local nomadic native american tribe during the right seasons

>> No.469867

>>469835

this. so much.

>> No.469871

Plnat shitload of apple trees, make cider, bottle it as fancy shit, sell to locals as premium eco-friendly-dick-sucking-awesome cider of premium quality for fair price. Also occasinally enjoy home made apple pie.

>> No.469890

>>469607
The only reason i would attract skaters to my land would be to test homemade bear traps.

>> No.469892

>>469835
>>469867
You fucking retards. Seriously just think about what you said.

>> No.469914

some motherfucker used my house as a tree nursery once. If ever you change your mind, you'll live to regret that decision - I have ash trees sprouting like motherfucking weeds all over the shop in my garden thanks to a previous owner. And another previous owner who did no gardening at all to try and stop the madness.

>> No.469916

>>468829
split into two halfs on the top end above the house
build two smaller houses
rent them out
divide them with a block wall fence

>> No.469969

tree farming wont make you any money; prople do it to avoid property taxes. making a certain percent of your land a christmas tree farm gets you reappraised/potentially-rezoned as agricultural land, with much cheaper property taxes than residential land, though it depends on your state/municipality.